ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Dec 3, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #5,086 of 6,751
@zach915m Hey what would be the best overall amp to pair with Aeolus? Currently I have the Valhalla 2 and Asgard 3 which I have been comparing. Both are great but I still have the itch to try something else. I was thinking of the Feliks Audio Echo MKII or Schiit Jotunheim 2 or Lyr 3.

~ For real “blossoming” of the Aeolus, the Feliks Echo (or more $$$, the Elise, the Euforia) is the one in your thought list.
~ The Schiit h/p/a can drive the Aeolus but with their low output impedances (the Aeolus nominal input impedance is 300 ohms), the ‘damping factor’ will be high and the Aeolus may sound a bit restrained.
Those are all worthy amps - if you already have a couple Schiit amps the Feliks would be more different, also the MassDrop ZDT Jr is wonderful, but maybe hard to find. I really have enjoyed ours. The Beyer A2 and A20 are also great for high impedance dynamics.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 3, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #5,087 of 6,751
Those are all worthy amps - if you already have a couple Schiit amps the Feliks would be more different, also the MassDrop ZDT Jr is wonderful, but maybe hard to find. I really have enjoyed ours. The Beyer A2 and A20 are also great for high impedance dynamics.

Interestingly not seeing any reviews on youtube for the ZDT Jr. What tubes are you using with yours?

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #5,089 of 6,751
sitting here switching between aeolus and auteur tonight....i can't decide which one i like better. really vibing with aeolus though so i'm posting here. cheers and tgif everyone!

How would you compare the two headphones?

Dec 3, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #5,090 of 6,751
How would you compare the two headphones?

i love them both dearly. i don't know how to describe it so forgive me but there's something the auteur seems to do for music that's quite addicting. it's like the music is both far away and close at the same time. sometimes the music is behind me, if you can believe that!

but the thing about the auteur is the weight; some nights it gets to me if i'm swinging my head all about when listening to music. the cups are heavy; no getting around it. i have the pilot pad and they're comfortable to me for hours but i do find i need a break more often with those than with aeolus, which i can wear to bed without thinking about it lol.

as for sound i mean there are 300+ pages of better ears than mine that do a great job of comparing but not to be rude; aeolus slams harder than auteur and auteur is detail city. when i want a refined listening experience and ALL the music i throw on the auteur (usually classical or jazz). i mean seriously i love auteur so much; they are my best headphones by far and they give such a FULL experience. BUT when i wanna put on future or some drake or deadmau5 type stuff i'm reaching for aeolus (seriously it SLAMS lol) or the atticus if i'm feeling frisky :)

both are, imo, god tier headphones. i haven't had a stitch of headphone acquisition syndrome since obtaining aeolus, atticus, eikon and auteur. anything i'm in the mood for i can find with one of those four.

EDIT: althoughhhhhhhhh i was sitting here thinking, auteur doesn't seem to get this credit everywhere i look but damn it slams too hahahah. like seriously i'm impressed with all of the zmf cans i've tried where bass is concerned. i've never felt like it was a bit light on any of them but at the same time, i've never felt like it was boosted in an obnoxious way. like of course there's a difference but i've never wanted to take auteur off because i wanted more bass.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #5,093 of 6,751

Users who are viewing this thread

Back