ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Nov 27, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #5,056 of 6,741
Hi, is there anybody here own LCD-2 Classic beside ZMF Aeolus ?
how's these cans sound when compared ?
from what I read, both was dark and warm soundsig.
still not yet to decide which one should I take home.
thanks
I don't have the LCD-2 Classic but I have the LCD-2.2 (with Fazor) and the Aeolus and I find the treble of the Aeolus to smoother and less energetic. Some may say the Aeolus is darker; I say it sounds wonderful.

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #5,057 of 6,741
thanks
I'd appreciate any more comparisons. I love my Aeolus, but it's almost 18 months since I got it and I'm getting that hobbyist jones for another pair of complimentary headphones. (I have at least a few months to consider my purchase; I'm retired on a fixed income and don't use credit, so it takes me a while to save up. I actually got the Aeolus with the 2020 stimulus check; most of this spring's stimulus check went to an OLED TV.) Since I want something a bit different, I'm looking for a planar and have pretty much narrowed the finalists to the Audeze LCD-2 classic, Audeze LCD-X, and the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire. I know the last is a closed back, but all of my other headphones are open and, while all the Aeons seem to be polarizing, the Noire seems to be the best reviewed of the three current versions and the open version the worst. I've also given some thought to the Hifiman Arya, but aside from the higher price tag (it appears to be the only Hifiman that never decreases in price), it does not appear to be a great rock'n'roll headphone and I mostly listen to rock and folk.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #5,058 of 6,741
I'd appreciate any more comparisons. I love my Aeolus, but it's almost 18 months since I got it and I'm getting that hobbyist jones for another pair of complimentary headphones. (I have at least a few months to consider my purchase; I'm retired on a fixed income and don't use credit, so it takes me a while to save up. I actually got the Aeolus with the 2020 stimulus check; most of this spring's stimulus check went to an OLED TV.) Since I want something a bit different, I'm looking for a planar and have pretty much narrowed the finalists to the Audeze LCD-2 classic, Audeze LCD-X, and the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire. I know the last is a closed back, but all of my other headphones are open and, while all the Aeons seem to be polarizing, the Noire seems to be the best reviewed of the three current versions and the open version the worst. I've also given some thought to the Hifiman Arya, but aside from the higher price tag (it appears to be the only Hifiman that never decreases in price), it does not appear to be a great rock'n'roll headphone and I mostly listen to rock and folk.
Another Dan Clark Audio option to consider is the Aeon RT. I haven't heard it myself but I have the original Aeon Open and Closed and like both for different reasons.

Nov 28, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #5,059 of 6,741
Have you considered the heavily discounted HE6se V2? Detail wise it easily beats both Aeolus and LCD-2 and even LCD-X IMO. The punch and slam are better than the egg-shaped hifiman planars and the Aeon Noir. The only downside to HE6se is the extreme inefficiency which is no problem for your Gustard H16.
HE6se V2 is currently on sale for all time lowest price of 549$. It usually goes down to around 699$ and 550$ is an absolute steal IMO.

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #5,060 of 6,741
The Arya Open Box is $1099 right now. Personally I find it a very good all arounder but in a very different way than the Aeolus.

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #5,062 of 6,741
I used to own the LCD2c a while back so i can't do an in-depth comparison. What I can say, besides the class-leading bass, is the LCD2c is also a winner when it comes to detail. But for me the mids are too wonky for me to enjoy without EQ. If you don't want to mess with EQ, as many don't, you might find the LCD2c to be unsuited as a daily driver. The Aeolus isn't as precise with details but it's still great, and it has a far more natural tuning. That said, to really get the most from the Aeolus, you need to try them with a tube amp. They're still great with solid state amps, but they have a higher ceiling with tube gear.
thanks! I never messing with EQ, so I might take aeolus home with me, currently I using dac chord qutest and d90se and for the amp I use singxer sa-1 and topping a90
I don't have the LCD-2 Classic but I have the LCD-2.2 (with Fazor) and the Aeolus and I find the treble of the Aeolus to smoother and less energetic. Some may say the Aeolus is darker; I say it sounds wonderful.
thanks! I agree, aeolus sounds fun and I never get fatigue when used in for a long time
thanks for your input, really appreciate it. sadly in my country, there's no dan clark audio representative or seller. so I might skip it.
I've tried aeolus and I find this headphone really suit my taste well

Nov 28, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #5,063 of 6,741
thanks

LCD2C was the headphone I had prior to the Aeolus.
The LCD2C will have that last bit of bass detail that the Aeolus doesn't have. However the Aeolus has such a better frequency response through the mids and the treble, while also havng good enough bass, that it wasn't even a contest for me. The LCD2C went up for sale instantly.

Nov 29, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #5,064 of 6,741
LCD2C was the headphone I had prior to the Aeolus.
The LCD2C will have that last bit of bass detail that the Aeolus doesn't have. However the Aeolus has such a better frequency response through the mids and the treble, while also havng good enough bass, that it wasn't even a contest for me. The LCD2C went up for sale instantly.
thanks! looks like I've made up my mind to buy aeolus

Nov 29, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #5,066 of 6,741
Hi both very similar headphones, both are warm. But one is better in technical refinement and speed probably the best in that price range while Aeolus is all about that mid range and timbre/tonality properties, much more smoother.
yeah, I find aeolus more smoother than lcd 2c, more fun to just listening music and forget about everything

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #5,067 of 6,741
As another point of information my experience has be a bit different. I wouldn't say the Aeolus trails LCD2-C in technicalities, I found them to be more subtle overall, less in your face but still there nonetheless. There are different peaks inherent to either headphone but I didn't find one headphone to be better technically. Obviously YMMV with preferences and gear. Just adding another 2 cents.

Nov 29, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #5,068 of 6,741
I had both, as well. They are both warm but the LCD2C is more like warm and metallic, it's got that planar sharpness. And depending on your head size, and the resulting ability to get a seal, it could really shake my brain with the sub-bass. When I was reading about the LCD2C before I bought it, I was confused by how many people called it a skull rumbler while some said it wasn't - I ended up understanding that, if your head is large enough to really get a tight seal, it was like strapping your head in for a rumbling rollercoaster of bass. It was nuts! But if you couldn't get a seal, it was just a warm bassy planar.

So where the LCD2C was kind of metallic and brittle, with all the technicalities made audible, the Aeolus is much more liquid and smooth, and so some of those technicalities might get blended into the syrup but the syrup is still so sweet and natural and musical. The Aeolus (on an SW51+ but soon a modded Crack) is a perfect complement to my Staxen, which are better versions (imo) of the LCD2C sound (with less sub-bass, though my ES-1a is close to it).

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #5,070 of 6,741
zmf aeolus.jpg
christmas present came early :gift:
gif-oh-yeah.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back