ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Dec 4, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #5,116 of 6,740
IMO “Warm” for an amp is not as simple as a matter of broad sweeping changes to the frequency response. A “warm” amp doesn’t have to be rolled off in the treble or boomy in the bass. A “warm” amp that emphasizes certain characteristics of a “warm” headphone’s sound might actually be a better pairing than one that “cancels out” a headphones character towards some idea of neutral. So I wouldn’t say pairing a “warm” amp with a “warm” headphone is always a bad idea and sometimes it can sound amazing. Also the coloration an amp has is if any is usually pretty subtle if it’s not just totally rolled off.
Thanks for saying something that's hard to get across but not all that hard to hear.

Sometimes when I pair a "warm" headphone + a "warm" amp, I get a sound that jumps out at me, more dynamic and exciting than before (not notably "warmer" than before).

It's called synergy. I can't predict when it will happen--but I sure can hear it when it does...

Dec 5, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #5,118 of 6,740
Thanks for saying something that's hard to get across but not all that hard to hear.

Sometimes when I pair a "warm" headphone + a "warm" amp, I get a sound that jumps out at me, more dynamic and exciting than before (not notably "warmer" than before).

It's called synergy. I can't predict when it will happen--but I sure can hear it when it does...
Also about synergy: because it is that plus factor (total > sum of parts), it can never be captured graphically…

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #5,119 of 6,740

Great points. An additional thought on synergy:

The more I experiment / learn, the clearer it becomes that synergy does not necessarily have a direct relationship with component cost. Yes, our ZMFs generally "outperform" other comparable items in our collections, but not everywhere/always.

This can be a challenging emotional exercise to work through... especially with lots of great gear in a collection. However, once the music starts and all is right in the world, one can begin to let go of cost association and just enjoy the end (synergy) result.

Dec 7, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #5,121 of 6,740
Just received my email saying they shipped my B Stock Mango Aeolus! Super excited!!!!
Nice nice! Fingers crossed I’ll be getting an email soon as well.

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #5,123 of 6,740
While I recognize the synergy between amps and headphones, Aeolus seems to be one of the least amp-picky headphones I've heard. Straight out of the Mojo it sounds almost as good as my Jotunheim 2 and JDS EL AMP II. You really don't need to spend big bucks as far as solid-state amps are concerned IMO.

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #5,124 of 6,740
Just had some time with my friends aeolus and my VC. Hearing them side by side just reinforced what I remembered about my aeolus before I sold it for the VC. I would just describe it as smooth and laid back. Something I could fall asleep in. The VC feels like it demands attention with the punchiness and more visceral 3D staging. But the aeolus, it is just relaxing, which I did not think of before when it was my daily driver. I thought it was aggressive, in a good way, since the staging is smaller but after having the VC, I feel the opposite. It is just smooth, easy going, and chill.

I'll miss aeolus, but I've got an auteur coming so should be interesting.

Dec 9, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #5,125 of 6,740
Mango Aeolus B Stock arrived!!!
20211209_231744.jpg
20211209_232121.jpg

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #5,128 of 6,740
Mango Aeolus B Stock arrived!!!

Congrats!!! Still waiting for my Verite B-stock. Dude, how is this even B-stock!? They literally look perfect lol I love what ZMF considers B-stock I'd consider just fine and dandy A-stock :)

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #5,129 of 6,740
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #5,130 of 6,740
I wish I could make headphones from the unproductive mango tree in my back yard!
🎵“underneath the mango tree,
me honey and me make boolooloop soon” 🎵

Users who are viewing this thread

Back