ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Oct 20, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #3,151 of 6,760
Hello,
I have ordered an Auteur, but I have to wait 4 - 8 weeks for him - to shorten the waiting time I bought an Aeolus.
What a wonderful Headphone!

IMG_1072.jpg

:heart_eyes:

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #3,152 of 6,760
@Louisiana I am also really enjoying my new Aeolus. It is a nice complement to my other headphones. One thing I am adjusting to on some music is the semi-open nature of the Aeolus. Has anyone else experienced a bit of an adjustment coming from the fully, fully open Sennheisers?

Oct 20, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #3,153 of 6,760
@Louisiana I am also really enjoying my new Aeolus. It is a nice complement to my other headphones. One thing I am adjusting to on some music is the semi-open nature of the Aeolus. Has anyone else experienced a bit of an adjustment coming from the fully, fully open Sennheisers?

I believe you still use the Aeolus pad then? For me it sound a bit "closed" and less airy feel compare to something like Verite pad.

While I had Aeolus, Verite pad was my numero uno choice due to additional clarity, airiness, more presence vocal, without make Aeolus become thin or harsh at all.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #3,154 of 6,760
I believe you still use the Aeolus pad then? For me it sound a bit "closed" and less airy feel compare to something like Verite pad.

While I had Aeolus, Verite pad was my numero uno choice due to additional clarity, airiness, more presence vocal, without make Aeolus become thin or harsh at all.

I use the Universe Suede perforated. I am thinking they feel more closed than the HD-600 because the opening/grill is actually smaller and does not cover the entire driver?

Oct 21, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #3,155 of 6,760

Have you or anyone else tried the BE-2 pads on the Aeolus? I'm curious on how they are. From reading descriptions it seems like the Verite pads are more neutral

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #3,156 of 6,760
Yep, mine are the suede BE-2 and I think they’re excellent. They make them sort of a Verite-lite to me.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #3,157 of 6,760
Yep, mine are the suede BE-2 and I think they’re excellent. They make them sort of a Verite-lite to me.

I just got my universal suedes in myself and quite honestly I don't know if I really care for them. It's hard to put in words why though. They're very engaging, they bring the mids more forward. The bass still sounds great especially with some Mullard or Brimar tubes. I just don't think they extract the level of detail that I was expecting. They're a great set of pads for relaxing and melting into your music though. Hard to believe I have yet to find a pad that sounds more enjoyable than the stock ones! (Airy, fun but less explosive than the Atticus, and good detail and imaging). The only pads I'm missing from my collection now are the Verite which may be the next step up if I'm looking for more detail.

I advise anyone who's looking to upgrade their pads to think long and hard about why they want to upgrade them. I've spent a fair chunk of change trying a few different options but ultimately still coming out with the stock pads as my favorite.

Here's a brief list below of quick thoughts on each pad:
Suede: Mids are brought more forward, bass is not that far behind stock, treble is more extended but not noticeable detailed.
Hybrid - Good balance, mids gain more texture, bass is preserved.
(Presumably) any solid - explosiveness, Atticus clone.

On to other things though; I've been successful on modeling and creating grill prototypes to replace the stock black one I got. I've also found out what screw sizes Zach is using to mount it (yes, this can present problems, please do this at your own risk) but no issues so far. I plan on getting these made in silver or adding more of an emboss to the second one through Shapeways. I've found a mesh material similar enough to the stock one to add as dampening after the grills are made. Very happy with the progress so far :)

. IMG-2611.jpgIMG-2683.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #3,158 of 6,760
What is the best Custom Cable option?
Pure copper, pure silver, or Hybrid?
Right now, i use my Forza Noir Hybrid HPC, but this one i "stole" from my LCD2 C :)

And one more question:
Whats about the Earpads?
Where are so much diferent Pads, actually is use the Stock Pads, but i heard the Univers Perf. Suede Pads would be recommend?

Oct 23, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #3,159 of 6,760
What is the best Custom Cable option?
Pure copper, pure silver, or Hybrid?
Right now, i use my Forza Noir Hybrid HPC, but this one i "stole" from my LCD2 C :)

And one more question:
Whats about the Earpads?
Where are so much diferent Pads, actually is use the Stock Pads, but i heard the Univers Perf. Suede Pads would be recommend?

I have 2 expensive aftermarket cables--2M of the same FAW cable you have; and a Danacables Lazuli 2.5M, which could ~2X the FAW.

Honestly, I prefer the Forza; can't really hear any difference between these cables, but the Forza is lighter, kinks less, and has zero microphonics. It might look substantial, but it's a breeze to handle.

I prefer copper cables, as I've heard some brightness in the few silver cables I tried. But I never really drilled into silver & did serious listening, so take this w/a grain of salt. Also, I'm probably more treble-averse than many here, so factor that in, too...

Re earpads, my favorite (by a wide margin) is the universe perforated suedes. I also like the Verite pads a lot--they give a more neutral & flat picture of the always fun Aeolus. I prefer both to the stock pads.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #3,160 of 6,760
I prefer pure copper with the Aeolus myself. I want to pull as much dynamic slam from the bass as I can, and the UP-OCC copper gets me there without sacrificing treble performance.

Oct 23, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #3,161 of 6,760
Re earpads, my favorite (by a wide margin) is the universe perforated suedes. I also like the Verite pads a lot--they give a more neutral & flat picture of the always fun Aeolus. I prefer both to the stock pads.

Thank you, the seller from these wonderfull cans told me exact the same, so i will give them a try.
I found a shop in the UK with a lot of Earpads for the ZMF Cans.
I also would like to order a cable from ZMF direct, but not care about the custom taxes...

Oct 24, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #3,162 of 6,760
So, yesterday i changed my Bendix Tubes to some WE396A:

IMG_1075.jpg

My Aeolus sounds so smooth with iCAN in Tube Mode, its almost unbelievable!
The Bendix Tubes bring so much details, but those WE396 just adds warmth to the Music...

Oct 24, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #3,163 of 6,760

IMG_1075.jpg

The Bendix Tubes bring so much details, but those WE396 just adds warmth to the Music...

I used to have those they’re actually pretty detailed for the tube type as well.

Oct 24, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #3,164 of 6,760

I feel much the same and that amp with those tubes goes great with all the ZMFs. They rather dramatically change the 2 tube modes over the stock tubes, as they do in the Valhalla 2 with adapters.

Oct 24, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #3,165 of 6,760
I´m very interest about these headphones but what worries me bit is i have to buy them blind and i have Sennheiser HD660S right now. My question goes for bass region. HD660S is very fast in bass like when listening Dream Theater Pull me under song at start i can hear all double bass drum kicks, not muddy like some phones sound. Is Aoelus capable to do that?
Otherwise these should be very solid option as my next phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back