ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Oct 24, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #3,166 of 6,751
I´m very interest about these headphones but what worries me bit is i have to buy them blind and i have Sennheiser HD660S right now. My question goes for bass region. HD660S is very fast in bass like when listening Dream Theater Pull me under song at start i can hear all double bass drum kicks, not muddy like some phones sound. Is Aoelus capable to do that?
Otherwise these should be very solid option as my next phone.

I've not heard the 660S so I don't know how they compare, but Aeolus handles the double bass drum in that song well.

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #3,167 of 6,751
Hey all - we will be on @Darthpool's YouTube channel tomorrow (or today depending on when you see this and where you are!) Sunday October 25th at 7PM central (US time) at our new workshop. We will be talking about all things ZMF and we're really excited to give a tour of our new workshop. Here's the link for the live stream. Hope to see you there in the chat box!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3KptoLyJk1M

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 25, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #3,169 of 6,751
Just finished watching the live stream I can’t wait to see those stabilized Aeolus coming.

It was great to see the new shop and awesome that ZMF is doing so well in the mess that is 2020. I'm glad they do these live streams, and hope they keep them coming. But we need a group Zoom call for ZMFestivus. We can't wait until 2023!!!

By the way Zach, there is plenty of space in that kitchen for new espresso grinder :relaxed:.

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #3,170 of 6,751
IMG_20200501_144303.jpg

Removed the little stopping screws. Screws were starting to eat some of the wood and make the channel longer.

Anyone removed the bop mesh filters? My ears touch against it with verite pads and is annoying to hear it flexing every now and then. Universal suede's give enough space where it doesn't touch, but I think I lean towards the verite pads.

What tool / type of screwdriver is needed to remove those two stopping screws? It seems like a perfectly round opening to me. I want to do a clean remove in case I want to put them back.

Nov 1, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #3,171 of 6,751
The Aeolus is such impressive Headphone, my LCD2-C and HE-500 are just lying around and gathering dust ... unbelievable.
Maybe time to sell them :D

Nov 1, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #3,172 of 6,751
The Aeolus is such impressive Headphone, my LCD2-C and HE-500 are just lying around and gathering dust ... unbelievable.

Same!

I ended up selling LCD2C, LCD-X and my Argon MK3, after some months with the Aeolus, I just had no interest in listening to anything else. All those other headphones are awesome, no doubt, on their own merits they are all exceptional. None of those gave me the sheer delight of the Aeolus, though.

I recently purchased a pair of Auteur, though, to ensure some contrast and sonic diversity to the Aeolus.

Everything depends on your approach, though, of course. I'm that person that just needs to find the one thing that fills me with joy, then I stick with that. Having said that, it still took me a good 4 years in the hobby before I discovered ZMF and then several more months with the Aeolus before I was confident that, yes, this is the one I've been searching for.

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #3,173 of 6,751

I'm on the list of people with an LCD-2C that is collecting dust since the Aeolus arrived. Agreed, the Audeze are great headphones, I just prefer to use the Aeolus.

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #3,174 of 6,751
You'll very likely love the Aeolus. I certainly love mine...

I have another ZMF headphone, the Ori (which I suppose is the ultimate T50RP mod, except it's even more than that) and I find it + the Aeolus to be the ideal, contrasting pair of headphones...one a closed planar, the other an open-back dynamic, both musical beyond words.

I totally second this sentiment. Had these two and 2x sets of Audezes and sold the Audezes because this combo covered all my bases.....since then am doing all the open back ZMFs and the Ori and a set of Hyland J1's for my lineup - covers all desires for sound.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #3,175 of 6,751
Same!

I ended up selling LCD2C, LCD-X and my Argon MK3, after some months with the Aeolus, I just had no interest in listening to anything else. All those other headphones are awesome, no doubt, on their own merits they are all exceptional. None of those gave me the sheer delight of the Aeolus, though.

I recently purchased a pair of Auteur, though, to ensure some contrast and sonic diversity to the Aeolus.

Everything depends on your approach, though, of course. I'm that person that just needs to find the one thing that fills me with joy, then I stick with that. Having said that, it still took me a good 4 years in the hobby before I discovered ZMF and then several more months with the Aeolus before I was confident that, yes, this is the one I've been searching for.

Damn dude....we really have walked a very similar path sonically....enjoy the Auteurs!

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #3,176 of 6,751
Same!

Is it true what they say, that the Auteur is closer to the HD-600/650 sound? Are the vocals on it better than on the Aeolus? And finally, is the extra weight on the Auteur noticeable?

Sorry for all the questions. I have the Aeolus and actually have been considering the Auteur as well.

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #3,177 of 6,751
Is it true what they say, that the Auteur is closer to the HD-600/650 sound? Are the vocals on it better than on the Aeolus? And finally, is the extra weight on the Auteur noticeable?

Sorry for all the questions. I have the Aeolus and actually have been considering the Auteur as well.

I'll be sure to give my impressions after I receive the Auteur, they are not yet in my possession.

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #3,178 of 6,751

I had a few days with an Auteur a few weeks ago. Neither the Aeolus or Auteur sounds exactly like the HD650, but that's a good thing. I would say the Aeolus is a bit closer in most ways than Auteur. Auteur doesn't have the mid bass hump that Aeolus and 650 have, and its sub bass extends lower. Auteur is a bit brighter in the treble which you might find brings vocals out a bit more.

The extra weight was noticeable. I don't know what kind of wood the Auteur was; my Aeolus is sapelle.

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #3,179 of 6,751
I actually only bought the Aeolus out of curiosity in order to shorten the waiting time for my auteur.
I'm so excited about him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back