ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jun 30, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #2,822 of 6,740
Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #2,826 of 6,740
Ok, next question Aeolus family.

Whats the best Solid State amps to pair with these?

Ta.

I really like the iFi Micro Black label and Aeolus combination. It has oodles of power to drive them and works for me as I don’t have a fixed listening spot.

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #2,827 of 6,740
I really like the iFi Micro Black label and Aeolus combination. It has oodles of power to drive them and works for me as I don’t have a fixed listening spot.
Alright. So a warmer combo unit. Gotcha gotcha

Imagine people probably like them on a Jotunheim too?

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #2,828 of 6,740
Alright. So a warmer combo unit. Gotcha gotcha

Imagine people probably like them on a Jotunheim too?
They sound really good off the Jotunheim! Especially if you are running balanced in and balanced out, to unleash the Jotunheim's full potential. I still own the Jotunheim and will never sell it, and it sounds insanely good hooked up balanced to the Schiit Gungnir Multibit, by the way.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #2,829 of 6,740
Very good descriptions of sound--not just of the Aeolus, but in general.

As for which experience you should chase--you're one of the few people who seems to respond with equal enthusiasm to both ends of the sonic flavor parameter, as you describe. That's good, in that you clearly identify what you like (not everyone finds that easy to do), but bad in that you really should chase both sonic extremes.

FWIW, I'm firmly in the "what the Aeolus gives me" camp: ie, I prize that warmth, dynamic capability, big, engaging midrange, ear-friendly treble, pleasing bass with the weight of live music, and some of the best soundstaging around.

BTW, Zach does offer a planar--actually, 4 of them. IMO the best is the Ori, still one of my favorite headphones of all. It's closed, but has that wonderful "ZMF house sound" in spades, along with exceptional soundstaging for a closed back & some of the best planar bass ever. I often stage little shootouts between the Ori & Aeolus (same amp, same cable). That's a lot of fun because there's no loser and I win big every time.
So funny you mention the Ori as it's been a while since I've given them any headtime as it's been the Aeolus today, yesterday and basically all the time. But damn, the Ori's have been on my head now for about 7 straight days (had surgery) and just can't get enough of them. These 2 headphones are standouts in their respective sonic staging and feel for the money, they're probably the best bang for the buck out there. They both have the ZMF house sound as you mentioned but plenty of differences where I have no issues owning both. As for the Ori's soundstage, they truly don't sound like a closedback and rival and surpasses many other open headphones I've owned and listened to in the past. That planar bass is just to die for. I don't need to repeat what both offer as @Pharmaboy did an excellent job doing that.
The Ori should most definitely be taken into consideration if you're looking for something different, musical, dynamic, can thump as good if not better then most and go deep with just enough sparkle where all the frequencies are blended perfectly........both of them really. It's so underrated and doesn't get the respect it "earned"

Jul 1, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #2,830 of 6,740
So funny you mention the Ori as it's been a while since I've given them any headtime as it's been the Aeolus today, yesterday and basically all the time. But damn, the Ori's have been on my head now for about 7 straight days (had surgery) and just can't get enough of them. These 2 headphones are standouts in their respective sonic staging and feel for the money, they're probably the best bang for the buck out there. They both have the ZMF house sound as you mentioned but plenty of differences where I have no issues owning both. As for the Ori's soundstage, they truly don't sound like a closedback and rival and surpasses many other open headphones I've owned and listened to in the past. That planar bass is just to die for. I don't need to repeat what both offer as @Pharmaboy did an excellent job doing that.
The Ori should most definitely be taken into consideration if you're looking for something different, musical, dynamic, can thump as good if not better then most and go deep with just enough sparkle where all the frequencies are blended perfectly........both of them really. It's so underrated and doesn't get the respect it "earned"
Amen brother!

Jul 1, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #2,831 of 6,740
I’m quite a few more days into the Aeolus and they are easily the best pair of headphones I own / have owned - not that I don’t appreciate the others for different things (whether that’s the Ananda for that planar detail or the Elegia’s for being a great closed back). The Aeolus’ are just so easy to listen to for hours. I have no idea how it took me so long to discover ZMF!

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #2,832 of 6,740
After finally swapping pads, I have got the pad rolling bug bad! I just placed an order for the Perforated Hybrids, and can't wait to see how the compare to the others. I will have the Stock Perf, Suede Perf, Hybrid Perf, and Leather Perf in my collection to switch things up, and should be set for a good while. This pad rolling just became as fun as tube rolling for me, and really is a great easy way to keep the sound fresh and exciting. @raindownthunda , I keep going back a few pages in this thread to read your impressions of all the pads, and can't thank you enough for the great descriptions!

Happy Listening!

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #2,834 of 6,740
I actually like the THX 789 with mine, but my DAC (esp in NOS mode) is pretty tubey and warm already, so it makes some sense to use a very clean amp stage.

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2,835 of 6,740
Ok, next question Aeolus family.

Whats the best Solid State amps to pair with these?

Ta.

I just listened to the Aeolus last night on my biggest/best SS amp, the Violectric V281. The sound was outstanding in every way. Balanced connection is best, but SE is close behind. Last night I especially enjoyed the soundstaging & the large, immersive midrange, qualities that are delivered to a high degree by the perforated suede universe pads.

I also get terrific sound out of 2 more modest SS designs:
  • Liquid Carbon v2: Yes, it's a warmish amp. But that warmth doesn't add to the Aeolus--it just drives it higher (synergy). This amp has lots of power, balanced connection, and terrific bass, all of which work wonders w/the Aeolus
  • Lake People G109-A: This SE amp by sister-company of Violectric also works quite well w/the Aeolus. It has plenty of power + the Violectric "house sound" (slight warmth, strong bass, open/large mids) that works so well w/the Aeolus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back