ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Dec 20, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #2,101 of 6,741
I have never heard the Aeolus but I am very interested. In your opinion which one is better? Like you said, the fact that you have not listened to the Aeon in a while says it all. Why have you kept them? I imagine the Aeon is more comfortable because they are lighter. Can you listen to the Aeolus for a long time without discomfort. I listen to mostly 60's and 70's rock and I am focused on vocals. Do you prefer one over the other when it comes to mids? I am looking for a comparison that will let me know if they compliment each other.

I have a Lyr 3, ODAC and Massdrop Grace 9xx. Would these be good amps with the Aeolus? They work find with the Aeon.

Thanks for the additional details. I think the Aeolus is "better" but that's me. In my opinion, the AFO is great if it's the only thing you listen to (I spent about an equal amount of time with the black felt and white 1 notch felt inserts). It takes a bit of time to get used to its signature, but once you do, it's a very nice headphone. But for example, there was a time about a year ago when I had spent about 3 or 4 months only listening to the AFO. This was on the Gilmore Lite MK2, and amp that Dan Clark sells. Then I just decided to switch to the HD650 and see how it went. I was shocked at how much more information there was in the midrange with the 650 than the AFO. In fairness, the mids of the 650 are legendary (the Aeolus is right up there with the 650 in my opinion and they are quite similar, maybe slightly less forward with things like vocals, but only slightly, and enough to eliminate any bit of excess forwardness that the 650 sometimes has; there is no competition between Aeolus and 650 in stage though, there is much wider stage with much more separation in Aeolus). The difference in how much additional information is presented by the 650 and Aeolus in the mids compared to the AFO is striking. There is more low-level detail, more room acoustics to hear, a wider stage (again, for Aeolus, not really 650), everything is just more spread out. And to be clear since I'm talking a lot about the 650 (sorry), I like the mids of Aeolus substantially better than AFO. There is just more to listen to in the mids with Aeolus. To me, they are not complimentary, as there are really no instances at this point where I go back to the AFO for something. The Aeolus has replaced the AFO.

Why do I still have the AFO if I am not listening to them? Excellent question. I have this problem of being good at buying and not good about selling. I have to work on that as it's not sustainable. But I probably need counseling at this point to deal with it.

The AFO is probably more prominent in the treble than Aeolus, but AFO is strange in that regard; it's like it's bright but not bright at the same time. Maybe it just highlights a specific region of the treble to create emphasis there without actually being bright, I'm not sure. And I'm sure people would argue the bass of AFO can go deeper since it's a planar (I don't think the bass on the AFO is the same as the LCD2C, the latter to me goes deeper and does it better). In any case, maybe AFO bass does go deeper, but I don't think the bass is better because of this. I think Aeolus has more pleasing bass. Caveat, I don't listen to electronic music, so maybe I'm just not that critical when it comes to super deep bass.

AFO is lighter, no question. My Aeolus are 425 grams, about 100 grams over the AFO. They don't bother me, but I also have the LCD2C for comparison, and those are quite a bit heavier, so take that for what its worth. The pads on Aeolus are super comfortable which I'm a big fan of, and the ear cups are larger diameter which I also like. The headband on Aeolus is great, and you have other options to change to if you need it (Pilot pad etc).

Hope this helps. I'm not a professional reviewer, and still not good at describing sound the way the professionals can do. Also, my understanding is that the Lyr3 is good with Aeolus. I can't say with the other amps. People are going to tell you to get an OTL though if you get Aeolus, and they're right, but Aeolus sounds great on every amp I've tried. Different on each amp, but great on all of them.

Dec 21, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #2,102 of 6,741
20191221_102639.jpg
b7457a01e8f2658fd57668b945c5729a-full.jpg

Aeolus arrived a week ago and even with my portable dac, I immadetly nosticed the difference from my beyers. Yesterday I grabbed a lyr 3+ Bifrost multibit, for a price of less than a brand new lyr3 :beerchug: and ... Goodness gracious.:k701smile: My portable dac is great and reasonably loud but I didn't know what I was missing because the volume wasn't loud enough.

going from dt 1990 pros exclusively used with a portable oppo Ha-2 to Aeolus+Schiit stack is like reliving last year experience when I got my first ever mid fi pro cans, dt's
The vocals and base on this thing is to die for :gs1000smile:
If you got an Aeolus and never heard this beautiful soul, you are missing a lot :)

Zach, you are a God. This thing worth every penny that I paid for. Can't wait to save up and grab one of those sexy reddish Verites next year.

Exteremly comfy on the head and ears, compared to my beyer. I can wear it for literally hours and hours. The only tiny complaint I have is that it quickly and easily leaves my head and ears when I'm banging my head to the AC DC but I think I can live with that. :L3000:
I only wish the cable was longer or have asked Zach for a longer one.
Oh almost forgot! Probably for the first time Ever Fedex didn't bill me any import duty. I'm crossing my fingers that they never do!

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #2,103 of 6,741
I have never heard the Aeolus but I am very interested. In your opinion which one is better? Like you said, the fact that you have not listened to the Aeon in a while says it all. Why have you kept them? I imagine the Aeon is more comfortable because they are lighter. Can you listen to the Aeolus for a long time without discomfort. I listen to mostly 60's and 70's rock and I am focused on vocals. Do you prefer one over the other when it comes to mids? I am looking for a comparison that will let me know if they compliment each other.

I have a Lyr 3, ODAC and Massdrop Grace 9xx. Would these be good amps with the Aeolus? They work find with the Aeon.

Lyr 3 is my first desktop amp so I can't really compare it to any other amp but I'm absolutely loving it with Aeolus.

Dec 21, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #2,104 of 6,741
Why do I still have the AFO if I am not listening to them? Excellent question. I have this problem of being good at buying and not good about selling. I have to work on that as it's not sustainable. But I probably need counseling at this point to deal with it.
I could not have said it better describing ME...

Dec 21, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #2,105 of 6,741
So, Zach reached out to me after my previous post and offered me a Blackwood Aeolus with Copper hardware that was ready to go. Went ahead and took the offer and got them literally two days later.

I’ve only had about 45 minutes with them so far, but these things are insane. I’ll write a full review here and post more pictures after the holidays and after I get it plugged into my ZDT Jr. that I’m grabbing for Christmas!

(don’t mind the dirty desk. Been busy with all of the holiday stuff :p )

873928C6-4640-43EF-8D12-B1812A46A1D1.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #2,106 of 6,741
So, Zach reached out to me after my previous post and offered me a Blackwood Aeolus with Copper hardware that was ready to go. Went ahead and took the offer and got them literally two days later.

I’ve only had about 45 minutes with them so far, but these things are insane. I’ll write a full review here and post more pictures after the holidays and after I get it plugged into my ZDT Jr. that I’m grabbing for Christmas!

(don’t mind the dirty desk. Been busy with all of the holiday stuff :p )

Congrats, great looking headphones. Sounds like Zach is brightening up people's holidays with early presents :gift:.

Dec 21, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #2,108 of 6,741
My Christmas/birthday(Jan 1st :) ) gifts to myself. Had to deliver quit a few pitzas to pay for them!

Music, Flower and Nicotine mediums as good as it gets:beerchug: American engineers, you rock. :beerchug:

My Aeolus might be a B-Stock but I doubt it looks any different than a Brand New

That's B stock? It's a beautiful headphone...

Dec 22, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #2,110 of 6,741
My Christmas/birthday(Jan 1st :) ) gifts to myself. Had to deliver quit a few pitzas to pay for them!

Music, Flower and Nicotine mediums as good as it gets:beerchug: American engineers, you rock. :beerchug:

My Aeolus might be a B-Stock but I doubt it looks any different than a Brand New
I recognize one if those devices, and I am not talking about nicotine. My favorite enhancer of the musical experience! :wink: Nice set of cans too!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #2,111 of 6,741
I recognize one if those devices, and I am not talking about nicotine. My favorite enhancer of the musical experience! :wink: Nice set of cans too!

"My favorite enhancer of the musical experience!" Ghost MV1, Cannabis vaporizer?! That's hell of a musical enhancer too. I won't reccomend it for people younger than 25 though.
The purple one is Smok nord, e juice vape/pod :)
Yes these cans are absolutely gorgeous. I was afraid as a newbie I might not see much difference from beyer 1990s but even with a portable dac, I immediately could hear and feel that 2x price difference.
I'm set for 2020! Maybe try some tube rolling maybe not. I'm yet to try Universe pad or two other tubes I got with lyr 3.
I might a Glenn OTL by the end of 2020. And hopefully a Verite or another upgrade in 1.5- two years. I gotta slow down before I go in debt again, as I have been most of the 2010s. This is such an addictive hobby, specially if you don't have too many hobbies!
It's time to rediscover my music library. I'm already enjoying many songs that were just okay before.

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #2,112 of 6,741
Actually I like that mod/Vape set-up. What is it by the way? I have the standard big old clunky unit.

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #2,113 of 6,741
"My favorite enhancer of the musical experience!" Ghost MV1, Cannabis vaporizer?! That's hell of a musical enhancer too. I won't reccomend it for people younger than 25 though.
The purple one is Smok nord, e juice vape/pod :)
Yes these cans are absolutely gorgeous. I was afraid as a newbie I might not see much difference from beyer 1990s but even with a portable dac, I immediately could hear and feel that 2x price difference.
I'm set for 2020! Maybe try some tube rolling maybe not. I'm yet to try Universe pad or two other tubes I got with lyr 3.
I might a Glenn OTL by the end of 2020. And hopefully a Verite or another upgrade in 1.5- two years. I gotta slow down before I go in debt again, as I have been most of the 2010s. This is such an addictive hobby, specially if you don't have too many hobbies!
It's time to rediscover my music library. I'm already enjoying many songs that were just okay before.
Isn't it amazing what a pair of headphones, great ones, can do for your musical experience? It continues to blow my mind each time I slap these on my head then listen to some tracks I haven't listened too in many moons and think to myself...."what the hell song is this? Zach REALLY knows what he's doing and in my opinion, he's the finest headphone "maker" out there. And that ain't no smoozing or B.S. It's "fact!! (to me of course :wink: )
By the way, beautiful set of headphones man!! Congrats!

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #2,114 of 6,741
Actually I like that mod/Vape set-up. What is it by the way? I have the standard big old clunky unit.
I use the Plenty by Storz and Bickle and it is huge, but is one of the best ever made. :v: The Ghost MV1, has been on my want list since it came out.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #2,115 of 6,741
Isn't it amazing what a pair of headphones, great ones, can do for your musical experience? It continues to blow my mind each time I slap these on my head then listen to some tracks I haven't listened too in many moons and think to myself...."what the hell song is this? Zach REALLY knows what he's doing and in my opinion, he's the finest headphone "maker" out there. And that ain't no smoozing or B.S. It's "fact!! (to me of course :wink: )
By the way, beautiful set of headphones man!! Congrats!
I concur!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back