ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 22, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #706 of 1,455
Totally forgot that all the gain from the Aegis is from 6SL7 input tube. Yep, rolling tubes on this won't change the max SPL that this amp will do, but will impart the tube characteristic of the output tube. Currently rolling a KT66, just the sexiest tube on the tetrode family IMHO. The blue hue looks so cool as well!

1716435304741.png

May 23, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #707 of 1,455
So I haven't had a lot of free time to chime in on here but the Aegis is amazing and I LOVE it. Compared to the HA-300 mkii the big difference with my load out so far has been how those amps deal with space. I feel like the HA-300 felt a bit deeper front to back, whereas the Aegis is a bit more side to side. Both have very nice dimensionality and imaging. Both have realistic instrument tonality with most tubes. I've only scratched the surface on tube rolls for the Aegis (RCA 5691 / EL38 with adapter / RCA 5R4GY) and my HA-300 was just about as leveled out as you can get (WE or ELROG / CV 1135 adapted / Sylvania 22d34 / audio magic M1 fuse). The Aegis smokes the HA-300 on noise floor for my personal electricity conditions. Aegis has no business being as quiet as it is. When I had my Elrogs and CV1135s in the HA-300mk ii I'm not going to lie - one of the best setups for just feeling immersed in the music. HA-300 really doesn't get talked about enough with all the Envy love out there. The Aegis so far has struck pretty close to that, but it has its own flavor that I wouldn't describe as 300b exactly. I haven't tested 274b or other rectifier types that may push in more 300b vibes. Using the impedance toggle on the Aegis and going between XLR and 1/4 gives you a ton of tuning options based on your headphones impedance.

This week I have in the touring Burson Soloist GT from that headfi thread, and it has been interesting jumping back and forth between the Aegis. The Aegis is like solid state level noise floor basically. I've had a lot of hum issues on my electric lines and this amp paired with the PS Audio Power Plant totally eliminates them.

If you're on the fence - jump it. Aegis is versatile for impedance synergy and tube libraries. It sounds euphonic and sweet yet manages to remain detailed. Drives a Tungsten (in the most engaging way I've heard). DEAD quiet. Looks really cool in person. This will be your favorite amp pairing with a lot of headphones I'm betting. Ok I'm done being a salesperson.
For stage depth I found the ECC35 to provide better than the 5691. They're different in other ways including bass and mids etc.

With the ER274b, EL38 and ECC35 slim base I couldn’t find the words so at the time I was testing them I had draw to what I was hearing, what it felt like. At the time I was listening to some International acoustic genre with multiple artists at different distances. Sketched as an oval stage around the head. Size of small ovals relates to how loud, impression of distance of the artist from the listener. Hopefully it makes sense to someone other than me 😂

IMG_6765.jpeg

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #708 of 1,455
For stage depth I found the ECC35 to provide better than the 5691. They're different in other ways including bass and mids etc.

With the ER274b, EL38 and ECC35 slim base I couldn’t find the words so at the time I was testing them I had draw to what I was hearing, what it felt like. At the time I was listening to some International acoustic genre with multiple artists at different distances. Sketched as an oval stage around the head. Size of small ovals relates to how loud, impression of distance of the artist from the listener. Hopefully it makes sense to someone other than me 😂

IMG_6765.jpeg
I love this

May 23, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #709 of 1,455

IMG_6765.jpeg
Looks a bit like the UFO drawings one might create while under hypnosis to recall past events :sweat_smile:

May 23, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #710 of 1,455
Lol 🙏🏻... what can I say, I think more in a more visual way, images, designs etc. I close my eyes and can visualise how an illustration will look like, or how a chassis will look and see the problems and complications etc and resolve them there. It's probably why soundstage and imaging are very high on my listening enjoyment. Words on the other hand are harder work for me... struggle at times 😂

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #711 of 1,455

IMG_6765.jpeg
Amazing drawing! ☺️. So ultimately you enjoyed ecc35 more?

Giving this drawing to a random person without any context and ask them to answer what the drawing is could be funny. 😜.
Is it a galaxy? Spaceship? Haha.

May 23, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #713 of 1,455
Amazing drawing! ☺️. So ultimately you enjoyed ecc35 more?

Giving this drawing to a random person without any context and ask them to answer what the drawing is could be funny. 😜.
Is it a galaxy? Spaceship? Haha.
Not more, equal but for different genres. 5691 is amazing for EDM, anything that benefits from a strong dynamic sound. ECC35 for texture, imaging and timbre. There is of course crossover and preference/mood of any given day. They compliment each other well!

The stick men thing is something I used to do when working on storyboards. We had to draw out adverts in seconds but give an impression of angles and direction. They’re also handy as an initial trace for something more finished. Basically, the human form is very mathematical. And it’s easy to transfer the proportions to the oval form. For those interested, checkout “how to draw comics the marvel way” and “The Figure in Action”

Edit. A rough and ready example of ovals and face direction etc.

IMG_6901.jpeg

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #714 of 1,455
Totally forgot that all the gain from the Aegis is from 6SL7 input tube. Yep, rolling tubes on this won't change the max SPL that this amp will do, but will impart the tube characteristic of the output tube. Currently rolling a KT66, just the sexiest tube on the tetrode family IMHO. The blue hue looks so cool as well!

1716435304741.png

How do you like the TAD KT66s? I have a set here and didn't care for them, but I admittedly did not give them time to burn in. Curious if you found them better after a bit of time.

And, FWIW, the GEC KT66 are one of my favorite tube types in the Aegis, so it isn't the tube type. I just couldn't bond with the TAD variant (at least not yet).

May 23, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #715 of 1,455

I used to mix live music. And when I was starting out one of the concepts I was taught was “visualising sound”. So your drawing totally makes sense to me.

Funnily enough the idea of visualising sound actually makes a lot of sense

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #716 of 1,455
The grip this amp has on the drivers is just flat out incredible. I thought my HA300MK2 had grip and it does, but the Aegis has it bested. This is a big thing for me, as I love bass and a weighty sound, and the Aegis with the right tubes, most certainly delivers.

The CC's sound powerful and huge, with impact I can literally feel. :o2smile:

ZMF Aegis + ZMF Caldera Closed = Total Bliss

May 23, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #717 of 1,455
How do you like the TAD KT66s? I have a set here and didn't care for them, but I admittedly did not give them time to burn in. Curious if you found them better after a bit of time.

And, FWIW, the GEC KT66 are one of my favorite tube types in the Aegis, so it isn't the tube type. I just couldn't bond with the TAD variant (at least not yet).

TAD KT66 sounds exactly what I would expect out of the KT66 variant: strong bass, lots of lower to high mid presence and smooth but extended treble. Less soundstage holography than JJ KT88 or any KT88 but much thicker note timbre overall yet still detailed sounding.

Preferred the KT66 with the Susvara for now over the KT88 since KT88 works so beautifully with that wrap-around holographic soundstage, I find it a hair less engaging than KT66 over long term listening.

With ZMF Atriums, definitely KT88 is my preferred one (tighter, harder hitting and holographic soundstage)

I never heard the GEC but it’s definitely a super KT66 just from its coveted status and rarity

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #718 of 1,455
TAD KT66 sounds exactly what I would expect out of the KT66 variant: strong bass, lots of lower to high mid presence and smooth but extended treble. Less soundstage holography than JJ KT88 or any KT88 but much thicker note timbre overall yet still detailed sounding.

Preferred the KT66 with the Susvara for now over the KT88 since KT88 works so beautifully with that wrap-around holographic soundstage, I find it a hair less engaging than KT66 over long term listening.

With ZMF Atriums, definitely KT88 is my preferred one (tighter, harder hitting and holographic soundstage)

I'll give it another shot.

I think I prefer my GEC KT66s over my GEC KT88s in most instances in the Aegis. But I have thus far preferred most other brand KT88s vs the TAD KT66s.

May 23, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #719 of 1,455
I'll give it another shot.

I think I prefer my GEC KT66s over my GEC KT88s in most instances in the Aegis. But I have thus far preferred most other brand KT88s vs the TAD KT66s.

You’re gonna make me broke by getting too curious with the GEC KT66 haha

May 23, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #720 of 1,455

Users who are viewing this thread

Back