ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 22, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #691 of 1,442
They are biased probably a little hotter than in most other circuits since they need to swing a lot of voltage, but still only around 60% of max plate dissipation, so not running them very hard.
Good stuff. Thanks 🙏🏻

May 22, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #692 of 1,442
I can't wait for the ZMF Aegis to ship! I've been spending a ton of time with the Pendant SE to get ready to compare the two 😁 Going to be hard to decide which to keep.

May 22, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #693 of 1,442
I can't wait for the ZMF Aegis to ship! I've been spending a ton of time with the Pendant SE to get ready to compare the two 😁 Going to be hard to decide which to keep.
That would be a tough choice! Could be putting too much stock in new toy syndrome, but I bet it will be the Aegis! Let us know, I'm having a hard time not pulling the trigger on one but it's not a smart move for me financially right now...

You could send me whichever one you decide against! :wink: :beerchug:

May 22, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #694 of 1,442
That would be a tough choice! Could be putting too much stock in new toy syndrome, but I bet it will be the Aegis! Let us know, I'm having a hard time not pulling the trigger on one but it's not a smart move for me financially right now...

You could send me whichever one you decide against! :wink: :beerchug:

I've got a plan to closely A/B test them, and I was going to write up the results in a review of the Aegis with the focus on Aegis vs. Pendant SE.

I couldn't resist the purchase, especially with the Affirm 0% interest 24 month loan. Cheap and easy way to try out the new amp :)

May 22, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #695 of 1,442
As someone who owned and was a big fan of the Pendant SE, my money is on the Aegis. :grin:

May 22, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #696 of 1,442

Aegis will outresolve and outperform the Pendant SE quite handily. Unless you like ultralinear sound signature, you'll definitely sell the Pendant after 4 seconds of listening on the Aegis hehe

May 22, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #697 of 1,442
Y’all are making me even more impatient with this hype! Fingers crossed they start shipping soon.

May 22, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #698 of 1,442
Wonder how Aegis compares to 300b stuff like Envy, Wa23 and Red October

May 22, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #699 of 1,442
May 22, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #700 of 1,442
Under indirect A/B comparison with those Wa23, Envy and Red October, Aegis has less romantic sound signature than those three DHT amps. In terms of detail retrieval, I would need to have them side by side to know

May 22, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #701 of 1,442
Wonder how Aegis compares to 300b stuff like Envy, Wa23 and Red October
So I haven't had a lot of free time to chime in on here but the Aegis is amazing and I LOVE it. Compared to the HA-300 mkii the big difference with my load out so far has been how those amps deal with space. I feel like the HA-300 felt a bit deeper front to back, whereas the Aegis is a bit more side to side. Both have very nice dimensionality and imaging. Both have realistic instrument tonality with most tubes. I've only scratched the surface on tube rolls for the Aegis (RCA 5691 / EL38 with adapter / RCA 5R4GY) and my HA-300 was just about as leveled out as you can get (WE or ELROG / CV 1135 adapted / Sylvania 22d34 / audio magic M1 fuse). The Aegis smokes the HA-300 on noise floor for my personal electricity conditions. Aegis has no business being as quiet as it is. When I had my Elrogs and CV1135s in the HA-300mk ii I'm not going to lie - one of the best setups for just feeling immersed in the music. HA-300 really doesn't get talked about enough with all the Envy love out there. The Aegis so far has struck pretty close to that, but it has its own flavor that I wouldn't describe as 300b exactly. I haven't tested 274b or other rectifier types that may push in more 300b vibes. Using the impedance toggle on the Aegis and going between XLR and 1/4 gives you a ton of tuning options based on your headphones impedance.

This week I have in the touring Burson Soloist GT from that headfi thread, and it has been interesting jumping back and forth between the Aegis. The Aegis is like solid state level noise floor basically. I've had a lot of hum issues on my electric lines and this amp paired with the PS Audio Power Plant totally eliminates them.

If you're on the fence - jump it. Aegis is versatile for impedance synergy and tube libraries. It sounds euphonic and sweet yet manages to remain detailed. Drives a Tungsten (in the most engaging way I've heard). DEAD quiet. Looks really cool in person. This will be your favorite amp pairing with a lot of headphones I'm betting. Ok I'm done being a salesperson.

May 22, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #702 of 1,442
Can anyone speak to how the Susvara is on the Aegis?

I've noticed that for heavy metal music, the Susvara on the Pendant SE gets a bit sibilant and almost unpleasant to listen to. But for other genres (classical, classic rock) it can be amazing

May 22, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #703 of 1,442

I've noticed that for heavy metal music, the Susvara on the Pendant SE gets a bit sibilant and almost unpleasant to listen to. But for other genres (classical, classic rock) it can be amazing

Night and day! Aegis has better driver control and a lot closer to my God Tier dream amps: (Zhal HM-1, AIC-10 Bal, MK-465 and EF1000)

May 22, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #704 of 1,442

With the right tube combination, sounds very good indeed, very impressive soundstage (for an ortho). To put thing in perspective, with the same tubes I'm using for the Caldera, the treble is a bit "spikey", nothing unlistenable though.

I listen to extreme metal almost everyday ... if you got the chance, try the OG HE6 on the Aegis, I haven't found anything beating the He6 for metal ...

May 22, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #705 of 1,442
I'm using 6SU7GTY with JJ KT88 and Mullard GZ32 for the Susvara. Sound is a bit laid back relative to the best amps I've heard out of the Sus and super smooth but that allows me to crank the Aegis up to almost max on the pot without any fatigue or harshness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back