ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 23, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #736 of 1,455
Do you have experience comparing the tonality of the ZMF Aegis amp versus the Cayin HA300Mk2 amp?

I realize that the question is complicated by the fact that each amp's tonality will be greatly affected by the choices made when tube rolling. However, can one come to a reasonably valid conclusion? I own the Cayin HA300Mk2amp - as did Wes, but he only quoted improved clarity (and not better tonality) for preferring the Aegis amp. I am more interested in knowing how these two amps differ in terms of musical tone/timbre because I gravitate towards a warmer and more full-bodied sound especially in the mid-upper bass and lower midrange.

Jeff.
I find the tonality I get with the Aegis more lifelike than I did with the HA300MK2. Tonality and timbre are the two most important aspects of sound for me.

May 23, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #738 of 1,455
Also, let me attest that the fact that the Aegis is a truly hefty megachonker. If you're one of the people waiting for yours to arrive, you should probably hit the gym in the meantime or something, idk, I'm not your dad.
Yes it has some heft to it 😅
And it needs quite some real estate on the desk.
The Elise is less than half the amp of the Aegis.
IMG_0209.jpeg

May 23, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #739 of 1,455
Yes it has some heft to it 😅
And it needs quite some real estate on the desk.
The Elise is less than half the amp of the Aegis.
IMG_0209.jpeg

Don't forget the pentaconn connector has a voltage divider for IEMs! Probably want to use 1/4" low setting for the RAD-0.

May 23, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #740 of 1,455
Do you have experience comparing the tonality of the ZMF Aegis amp versus the Cayin HA300Mk2 amp?

I realize that the question is complicated by the fact that each amp's tonality will be greatly affected by the choices made when tube rolling. However, can one come to a reasonably valid conclusion? I own the Cayin HA300Mk2amp - as did Wes, but he only quoted improved clarity (and not better tonality) for preferring the Aegis amp. I am more interested in knowing how these two amps differ in terms of musical tone/timbre because I gravitate towards a warmer and more full-bodied sound especially in the mid-upper bass and lower midrange.

Jeff.

It's been a long time since I've heard an HA300mk2, so I can't really compare.

May 23, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #741 of 1,455
I find the tonality I get with the Aegis more lifelike than I did with the HA300MK2. Tonality and timbre are the two most important aspects of sound for me.
Could you please expand on what you mean by using the term "lifelike" by describing more precisely the specific changes in tonality/timbre that you are experiencing with the Aegis amp that you could not accomplish with the Cayin HA300MK2 amp? Also, now that you are acquiring a greater variety of tubes, how much do they affect the overall tonality/timbre of the Aegis amp?

Jeff.

May 23, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #742 of 1,455
My Cayin Ha300Mk2 amp has fuses that will protect the amp from damage if there is a short (or other catastrophic failure) of the output 300B tubes.

Why does the Aegis amp not have fuses to protect the amp from damage if the output tubes short?

Jeff.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #743 of 1,455
When i'm testing stuff i keep excel open and just jot down notes as i'm listening. it's very eclectic to read later, but does help with sonic memory issues. i live in excel at work so that's my weapon of choice, but word or even an open email to yourself works well also. i tried handwriting and half the time i can't read my own writing :frowning2:

side note/interesting take - for those like me who type 99% of my "written" communication, do you find your ability to actually handwrite is diminished? my kids write better/neater than me! but when younger i wrote nicely. honestly i rarely use a pen anymore. i work in excel and emails all day long so typing dominates my "written" communication. just curious if anyone else noticed something similar.
In college (40 years ago) my notes were almost typewriter quality. When I first started working at a real job, my lab books were slightly less precise because the notes and data were more hurried, but still all handwritten. Fast forward to today. 99% of my data is in Excel. I still have a lab book, but it's more a journal now allowing me to vent about frustrations. My writing has become so atrocious that I can barely read my own writing.

May 23, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #744 of 1,455
My Cayin Ha300Mk2 amp has fuses that will protect the amp from damage if there is a short (or other catastrophic failure) of the output 300B tubes.

Why does the Aegis amp not have fuses to protect the amp from damage if the output tubes short?

Jeff.

There is a fuse holder built into the IEC inlet. It's right below where the power cord plugs in.

May 23, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #745 of 1,455
There is a fuse holder built into the IEC inlet. It's right below where the power cord plugs in.
What is the purpose of that fuse? Does it protect the amp from damage if the output tubes short? I am asking that question because the Cayin HA300Mk2 amp also has another single fuse near the power cord input, which I presume is there to protect the power supply. However, each 300B tube also has a protective fuse.

Jeff.

May 23, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #746 of 1,455

Jeff.
What is the purpose of that fuse? Does it protect the amp from damage if the output tubes short? I am asking that question because the Cayin HA300Mk2 amp also has another single fuse near the power cord input, which I presume is there to protect the power supply. However, each 300B tube also has a protective fuse.

Jeff.

There is a mains fuse in the IEC inlet, but there are not dedicated inline fuses in the output stage. The mains fuse is mainly for safety reasons should there be a short inside the amplifier. It's not standard for autobiased output stages to have inline fuses, I personally only do that in fixed bias amplifiers where a failure of the grid bias supply could cause high current in the output stage. A spontaneous short of an output tube is extremely rare. There are some pretty low quality new production 300B tubes being made nowadays, which might be more prone to failure. If the tubes being used in Aegis are tested, it's very unlikely to occur.

May 23, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #747 of 1,455
Not good at describing things, I am more an engineer than an artist with flair! But to my ears with Susvara the Envy is better, but we are not talking night and day here. However, my Aegis and tubes are still burning in so things can possibly improve over the next 50 hours. Also, tube rolling in both could change things either way! My chain is Innuos, hms and Dave. I have Dave volume at -10db for both and Aegis volume is 4pm.
My conclusion…Aegis is better value for money. But I am keeping both!

IMG_1707.jpeg

May 23, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #748 of 1,455
Could you please expand on what you mean by using the term "lifelike" by describing more precisely the specific changes in tonality/timbre that you are experiencing with the Aegis amp that you could not accomplish with the Cayin HA300MK2 amp? Also, now that you are acquiring a greater variety of tubes, how much do they affect the overall tonality/timbre of the Aegis amp?

Jeff.
The HA300MK2 has more lower mids emphasis, of which creates a bit of haze. This is only obvious after hearing the Aegis directly after. The Aegis still has good lower mid warmth and weight, but it's not overdone and blown out like with the HA300MK2. You can certainly use tubes to get the Aegis to have more lower mid bloom, but you just can't remove any from the HA300MK2. So, I think the Aegis is just a better sounding amp overall. When I listen to live music it's definitely warm, but not hazy.

The Aegis has better tonal balance top to bottom, and nothing overshadows anything else in the FR, or causes any haze. It's kind of hard to put into words, but once you hear both amps back to back, it's apparent that the Aegis just sounds more right and real, or one might say more lifelike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back