ZMF Aegis Official Thread
Apr 29, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #91 of 710
I can confirm is a fantastic pairing with the Tungsten's with ample headroom, not sure about the Susvara as I don't have one. Maybe @goldwerger can chime in!

@AdamEddie first, the Aegis is particularly excellent with the Tungsten, enough power and specifically wonderful synergy (see my Tungsten review).

Yes it can also power the Susvara. Unless you listen at very loud volumes it will have ample headroom.

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #94 of 710
One other nifty little feature of Aegis - when the amp is turned on, the headphone output is not immediately connected and the ring of lights around the volume knob remain off, there is a time delay relay of around 30-40 seconds. After that time has elapsed, the ring of lights around the knob turn on and the headphone output is connected. This allows the tubes to warm up and power supply voltages to stabilize.

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #95 of 710
So, as an avid tube roller, I am itching to roll some tubes in the Aegis, however the sound is so freaking good with stock New Production tubes, that I don't know what I would want to "improve" on with different tubes.

This is the first time ever for me to actually like stock tubes in a tube amp. One could really just buy this amp, and stay with the stock tubes and be completely happy.

Of course, I am going to have to roll some tubes eventually, but I am really in no rush at all with what I am hearing right now.

This amp is absolutely incredible!

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #96 of 710
Of course, I am going to have to roll some tubes eventually, but I am really in no rush at all with what I am hearing right now.

I will be absolutely gobsmacked if you don't try tube rolling in it. The urge is just too strong.

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #97 of 710
Must. Tube. Roll. Also it’s half the fun! And there are a lot of tube rolling enablers if you browse thru the diy Aegis thread 🤣

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #99 of 710
Must. Tube. Roll. Also it’s half the fun! And there are a lot of tube rolling enablers if you browse thru the diy Aegis thread 🤣
I actually follow every tube amp thread, and have been making a list of tubes to try. I am a tube rolling fanatic, so it will happen. :grin:

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #100 of 710
Trust me, I will be rolling eventually. :grin:

we-know-this-dr-wayne-wenowdis.gif

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #101 of 710
Quick question, is there a CE certificate on Aegis, will it be possible to purchase the thing in Europe without issues?

Apr 30, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #102 of 710
Quick question, is there a CE certificate on Aegis, will it be possible to purchase the thing in Europe without issues?

My pre-production version is CE marked, so it should be good.

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #103 of 710

Yeah the amp was CE certified specifically for European sales, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #104 of 710
Trust me, I will be rolling eventually. :grin:
I'm tube-rolling the loaner Aegis today. I have an unused, matched pair of Siemens EL-34s that have to be 45 years old. After letting them burn-in 5 or 6 hours, I'm listening right now.

They sound different from the stock EL-34s, but it's pretty subtle. The Siemens are a bit sharper on transients, slightly tipped up.: drums & percussion are borderline spectacular. But on less than ideally recorded material, these EL-34s let me know it. On the other hand, vocals stand out a little more and the treble goes right up to the sky. Bass is very clear and controlled. It's pretty much what I expect from Siemens tubes in general. These are small differences, audible, but not the kind that hit me over the head (ears?).

Keenan says he thinks the unique circuit design of the Aegis predominates in determining the amp's sonics. Based on this one limited tube rolling experiment, he's right ... which doesn't stop me from wishing I had a pair of late '50s Mullard Blackburn EL-34s on hand to try.

Tube rolling aside, the sound of this amp continues to startle & amaze. It's the best tube amp I ever heard; maybe the best amp, period.

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #105 of 710
I'm tube-rolling the loaner Aegis today. I have an unused, matched pair of Siemens EL-34s that have to be 45 years old. After letting them burn-in 5 or 6 hours, I'm listening right now.

They sound different from the stock EL-34s, but it's pretty subtle. The Siemens are a bit sharper on transients, slightly tipped up.: drums & percussion are borderline spectacular. But on less than ideally recorded material, these EL-34s let me know it. On the other hand, vocals stand out a little more and the treble goes right up to the sky. Bass is very clear and controlled. It's pretty much what I expect from Siemens tubes in general. These are small differences, audible, but not the kind that hit me over the head (ears?).

Keenan says he thinks the unique circuit design of the Aegis predominates in determining the amp's sonics. Based on this one limited tube rolling experiment, he's right ... which doesn't stop me from wishing I had a pair of late '50s Mullard Blackburn EL-34s on hand to try.

Tube rolling aside, the sound of this amp continues to startle & amaze. It's the best tube amp I ever heard; maybe the best amp, period.

You might find that the differences are much more noticeable when rolling output tubes of different types entirely. Given it is a cathode follower output stage, differences in tube transconductance are going to have the largest impact, which will vary pretty significantly between tube types but not so much between tube brands/makes if that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back