ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 26, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #856 of 1,482
Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #857 of 1,482
Does this meant the discounted price ends today, May 26th or will be good through the end of Monday, May 27th?
Through Monday to get through memorial day here in the US.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 27, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #858 of 1,482
No nudes yet?

May 27, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #859 of 1,482
Had an educational question for tube amp aficionados. You frequently see with high-end tube amps the 'selling point' that they are point-to-point wired. Given all of the careful consideration that went into the design of the Aegis, which uses a PCB, is the difference in construction (PCB vs PTP) much ado about nothing or are there different maintenance and sonic qualities? Thanks to anyone with thoughts on this; definitely would help me better understand tube amps better.

May 27, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #860 of 1,482
Had an educational question for tube amp aficionados. You frequently see with high-end tube amps the 'selling point' that they are point-to-point wired. Given all of the careful consideration that went into the design of the Aegis, which uses a PCB, is the difference in construction (PCB vs PTP) much ado about nothing or are there different maintenance and sonic qualities? Thanks to anyone with thoughts on this; definitely would help me better understand tube amps better.

I don't think there is really any sonic advantage for point-to-point vs. PCB, in either direction. The DIY Aegis is on a PCB to minimize the amount of point-to-point work that the DIYer needs to do as it is 1) labor intensive 2) time consuming 3) introduces more opportunity for errors. However, the ZMF Aegis is point-to-point, which Cayin does a very nice job with. In my opinion, it's just marketing.

May 27, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #861 of 1,482

For me, it all comes down to the execution of the design. I've seen noisy, cluttered, messy PTP amps as well as extremely neat and beautifully wired PTP. I've also seen well-designed PCB amps and poorly designed PCB amps. I'm not sure one is better than the other if done well.

May 27, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #862 of 1,482
for rectifier, i see V drop in the tubesheet made by @L0rdGwyn and then the wording is suggesting higher Voltage rectifier for certain low power output tubes such as el84 etc.

does this mean using higher Vdrop rectifier with a higher output power tube will make it easier for the output tubes and vice versa? does this affect the volume pot range or something?

EG 5Y3G with el34 - less volume pot range
GZ34 with el34 - more volume pot range
apology for the noob question, wondering whether if there's any pros and cons in using high Vdrop (60) as its 5y3 is widely available locally.

May 27, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #863 of 1,482
for rectifier, i see V drop in the tubesheet made by @L0rdGwyn and then the wording is suggesting higher Voltage rectifier for certain low power output tubes such as el84 etc.

does this mean using higher Vdrop rectifier with a higher output power tube will make it easier for the output tubes and vice versa? does this affect the volume pot range or something?

EG 5Y3G with el34 - less volume pot range
GZ34 with el34 - more volume pot range
apology for the noob question, wondering whether if there's any pros and cons in using high Vdrop (60) as its 5y3 is widely available locally.

Vdrop refers to voltage drop. This is the voltage lost across the rectifier as current passes through it while rectifying due to its internal resistance. So a higher Vdrop rectifier means the operating voltages of the power supply will be lower. Lower operating voltages means less heat being dissipated by the tubes, that's why it is recommended to use higher Vdrop rectifiers with low power tubes (e.g., EL84, 6V6) as they are not designed to dissipate high degrees of power.

Using higher Vdrop rectifiers will not change the gain of the amplifier substantially, so you will not notice much effect if any on the volume pot. It will effect the peak power output of the amplifier as the output tubes are biased at lower voltages and lower currents, but this lost peak power is not likely to be utilized by any headphone. So no real disadvantage to using 5Y3.

May 27, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #864 of 1,482
cross-post, but!

Listening to this on the Caldera this evening after a stressful day. This is what it's all about. Listening with the Aegis/Holo May KTE/Innuos Zenith and it is so, so good. The realism and engagement is stunning!

EDN1156-Misha-Mullov-Abbado-Dream-Circus-CD-MockUp.jpg

May 27, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #865 of 1,482
After much deliberation, I went ahead and bought a new Aegis today before the discount expired. I was contemplating the possibility of buying an open-box or demo unit in the future, but I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger.

I still need to sell a few more things to offset the expense, but I’m almost positive I won’t regret purchasing an Aegis in the long-term. I’m hoping that I like this amp so much that I’ll be able to sell my Mjolnir 3 (easily replaceable) instead of my beloved Ash Auteur (irreplaceable).

May 27, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #866 of 1,482
After much deliberation, I went ahead and bought a new Aegis today before the discount expired. I was contemplating the possibility of buying an open-box or demo unit in the future, but I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger.

I still need to sell a few more things to offset the expense, but I’m almost positive I won’t regret purchasing an Aegis in the long-term. I’m hoping that I like this amp so much that I’ll be able to sell my Mjolnir 3 (easily replaceable) instead of my beloved Ash Auteur (irreplaceable).

you-made-a-wise-choice-my-friend-you-made-a-wise-choice.gif

May 27, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #867 of 1,482
May 28, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #868 of 1,482
Forums like these are very toxic, made me wanna get something the more I read and for some reason I can't avert my attention from...I've placed order for Aegis (230V version) with CC through my local authorised dealer last week. Wonder what's the typical wait times...I guess the Aegis will probably arrive earlier than the CC at where I am located. Will be looking forward to @Wes S tube combo table as a recommendation for my future tube roll :L3000:

May 28, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #869 of 1,482

I was also ready to order the Aegis last night to benefit from the promotion but living in France, customs fees and taxes are really too high. More than 700 euros, which brings the amp to 4000 euros. This makes you think... and unfortunately no reseller of this amp in France. So I'm going to wait a bit and wait for more comparisons between the Aegis and the Feliks Audio Envy before take decision

May 28, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #870 of 1,482
I was also ready to order the Aegis last night to benefit from the promotion but living in France, customs fees and taxes are really too high. More than 700 euros, which brings the amp to 4000 euros. This makes you think... and unfortunately no reseller of this amp in France. So I'm going to wait a bit and wait for more comparisons between the Aegis and the Feliks Audio Envy before take decision
If you're worried about import duties etc. then the Aegis is a no brainer! Plenty of reasonably priced tubes to choose from. A pair of what is considered "nicer" 300B's for the Envy is going to start at a 1000 euros!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back