ZMF Aegis Official Thread
Apr 15, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #16 of 138
What is the tube mix in the ZMF / Cayin Aegis? Will 'oddball' tubes (22DE4, e.g) be required?

Can use almost any 5V rectifier (5AR4, 5U4, 5V4, 5Y3, and many more). Almost any output pentode (e.g., EL34, EL37, KT66, KT77, KT88, 6V6, 6L6, many others with adapters, including EL84). Inputs however are pretty strictly 6SL7, but there are a couple other options with adapters.

Apr 15, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #17 of 138
Thank you!

Apr 15, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #18 of 138
Just to wet the appetite a little. The Aegis + ZMF AC with GEC KT88 - Elrog 274b -RCA Red Base 5691 is something very special. I normally rotate between the AC & Elites every week or so but this setup has been a prolonged rotation.... deadmau5 "while (1<2)" this morning sounds incredible!! Love my AC with this setup. I'm sure the commercial Aegis is going to bring many smiles to peoples faces 👍🏻

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #19 of 138
A few posts with pics seem to show a lower output power for XLR vs RCA (max 1.8W vs 2.5W). I'm curious why this would be the case as I would have thought it'd be the other way around (e.g. Cayin HA-6A)

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #20 of 138
A few posts with pics seem to show a lower output power for XLR vs RCA (max 1.8W vs 2.5W). I'm curious why this would be the case as I would have thought it'd be the other way around (e.g. Cayin HA-6A)

Those power output specs aren't updated, they were remeasured and the XLR is indeed higher output than the RCA. On average it is a 2W amplifier, goes above and below that depending on the load and impedance connection.

Apr 15, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #22 of 138
Had the opportunity to experience this at AXPONA. It was on another private Audio-Technica listening room next to the HPA-KG/AW-KG NARU listening room.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #23 of 138
Can use almost any 5V rectifier (5AR4, 5U4, 5V4, 5Y3, and many more). Almost any output pentode (e.g., EL34, EL37, KT66, KT77, KT88, 6V6, 6L6, many others with adapters, including EL84). Inputs however are pretty strictly 6SL7, but there are a couple other options with adapters.

For what it's worth, in my ZMF Aegis Proto, I've used:

Rectifiers: 5AR5, 5R4GY

Output: EL34, EL38, KT66, KT88, KT8C, 6550 and 6V6 (and maybe a few I'm forgetting). The EL38 and KT8C required adapters, but everything else plugged straight in and worked.

Of all of the above, plus a variety of 6SL7/5691 input tubes, I'm still figuring out my favorite combo, but that's part of the fun.

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #24 of 138
Awesome - keen to hear impressions between this and the DIY version (spent some time the other day skimming through the original thread & the Aegis build documentation but I'm easily intimidated by that stuff). Also, any word on whether there will be alternate finishing styles of the production Aegis offered down the line?

Apr 15, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #25 of 138
Awesome - keen to hear impressions between this and the DIY version (spent some time the other day skimming through the original thread & the Aegis build documentation but I'm easily intimidated by that stuff). Also, any word on whether there will be alternate finishing styles of the production Aegis offered down the line?

While I don't want to rule out the possibility that it could change down the line, the nature of how these are built will make it more challenging to do stabilized panels like we do on the Homage.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #27 of 138
That is amazing looking, congrats! Will there be option tiers at different price points? Or just one configuration/price point? Really excited for this amp!

There is just one stock configuration, but there will be some upgraded tube options available.

Apr 15, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #28 of 138
I’m so torn. I’ve been reading up on amp design, slowly acquiring the right tools, lining up simpler projects to build my practical competence, and coming up with all sorts of tweaks and mods for the DIY Aegis I eventually want to build. And then there’s this, making it easy. Maybe if I had unlimited funds this production model would be a good baseline for comparison when I finally get around to building amps.
I’m going to need a bigger audio shelf.

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #29 of 138
This is a thread to discuss the collaboration between ZMF and @L0rdGwyn on a commercial version of the wonderful Aegis amp that he designed and released to the world.

Here are some preliminary pics of the production version of the amplifier:

ZMF Aegis 2.jpg
ZMF Aegis 1.jpg

You can read about the origins of the amp in L0rdGwyn's thread here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aegis-diy-tube-headphone-amplifier.965530/

The production version adds a few features, including 3 different headphone outputs (1/4, XLR and 4.4mm). The 4.4mm is attenuated for use with sensitive IEMs.

The production version power supply can handle 3A current draw, so it can handle 5U4G tubes, which the DIY version cannot.

The amp will come stock with 6SL7 input tubes, EL34 power tubes and a 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier tube.
That has to be one of the coolest looking tube amps out there!

Apr 15, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #30 of 138
This is going to be the next amp I buy. I LOVE the look. I know those VU meters boost performance by like 65% each.

This paired with my AC should make for a great listening. My one year AC anniversary is coming up at the end of April and I think to celebrate I should get the amp. Just have to get my wife on board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back