Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Mar 11, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #2,042 of 2,443
FYI in the near future (probably some time this week) I am going to make a minor change to the amplifier PCB. Going to reference the output tube heaters to ground as opposed to cathode. Only making this change because two builders had a low level noise issue which was traced back to the heater reference. Both were able to fix it, and its a low likelihood of happening with the current PCBs, but I want to be sure it doesn't happen again. Just an FYI for anyone who is planning to buy / order PCBs soon.

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #2,043 of 2,443
Haha yeah there was a lot of that! Someone told me they "saw God" while they were listening, others cried, some people just kept coming back again and again, lots of word of mouth. It was pretty gratifying to see those reactions.

It was so great to see people’s enthusiastic reception to our amp and having it get wide exposure. Long journey to get you here, but a new and even more exciting journey is just beginning.. 😉

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #2,044 of 2,443
It was so great to see people’s enthusiastic reception to our amp and having it get wide exposure. Long journey to get you here, but a new and even more exciting journey is just beginning.. 😉

Hehe well, we'll see what the future holds :)

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #2,045 of 2,443
New rectifier day - Brimar 5r4gy disk getter. Very holographic and balanced; compared to the Mullard Gz34 fat base, it does trade a bit of mid range euphonic for more space between instruments.

DSC_1058.png

There seems to be loads of variants for this tube with different getters/plate structure though. Not sure if there is any remarkable differences between them ...

I also got the black plate RCA 5r4gy with me, seems to be a bit more punchy/analytical than the Brimar. Hope I can spend some time comparing the two this weekend.

On a related note, I try the JJ Gz34 and it does very well for a new production rectifier, just that in my case combining it with the JJ EL34 (when I first complete the amp) results in a very analytical sound so it had been in storage after the amp finished burning in.

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #2,046 of 2,443
I just got some RCA 5691 red base input tubes in the mail to try instead of the Tung Sol 6SL7 I've been using. When I put them in a get intermittent static out of both channels. I put the TS's back in and dead silent. Tried a 2nd time and still static. My amp has been DEAD quiet. Putting these tubes in is the only noise I've ever heard.

Couple questions:
1. Just to be sure, I do not need an adaptor for the 5691, correct?
2. Safe to say there is something wrong with these tubes? Anyone know when you get intermittent static, what that actually means is wrong with the tube? If something is wrong with them, seems bit surprising it is both of them.

I've reached out to the seller about it. He seems like a reputable guy and has a return policy on eBay so I assume I'll get a refund if they are bad. Too bad...I was looking forward to trying them.

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #2,047 of 2,443
The commercial version of this amp was the best thing I heard at Canjam NYC, and quite possibly the best headphone amp I've ever heard. I will be first to order one on release!

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #2,048 of 2,443
The commercial version of this amp was the best thing I heard at Canjam NYC, and quite possibly the best headphone amp I've ever heard. I will be first to order one on release!

Thank you! Very glad to hear you liked it.

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #2,050 of 2,443
I just got some RCA 5691 red base input tubes in the mail to try instead of the Tung Sol 6SL7 I've been using. When I put them in a get intermittent static out of both channels. I put the TS's back in and dead silent. Tried a 2nd time and still static. My amp has been DEAD quiet. Putting these tubes in is the only noise I've ever heard.

Couple questions:
2. Safe to say there is something wrong with these tubes? Anyone know when you get intermittent static, what that actually means is wrong with the tube? If something is wrong with them, seems bit surprising it is both of them.

I've reached out to the seller about it. He seems like a reputable guy and has a return policy on eBay so I assume I'll get a refund if they are bad. Too bad...I was looking forward to trying them.

That's right, no adapter required. Seems to be a bad batch of tubes.

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #2,051 of 2,443
Thank you! Very glad to hear you liked it.
Snuck back into the ZMF room a couple times to hear my HD800S on the one hooked up to the Yggdrasil, since I have a Yggdrasil at home. What a pairing! Can't wait to get it on top of my rack at home.

IMG_3583.JPG

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #2,052 of 2,443
Snuck back into the ZMF room a couple times to hear my HD800S on the one hooked up to the Yggdrasil, since I have a Yggdrasil at home. What a pairing! Can't wait to get it on top of my rack at home.

IMG_3583.JPG
I got to try out the 800s on the diy Aegis at a local meet. Was not what I was expecting, in a good way. Have been keeping my eye out for a good deal on a used pair ever since. Another stand out on the Aegis was a modded pair of HD600. I think I slightly preferred them over my 6xx.

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #2,053 of 2,443

I love my 8xx on the aegis! It's a great pairing for sure..I brought it to test on the commercial version as well. The aegis fixes the elongated soundstage on them and makes it sound more realistic imo while keeping the center image for vocals. Edit: Your 650, 600, elex will also sound fantastic on the aegis!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #2,054 of 2,443
The other two headphones that impressed me at the meet up on the Aegis were the HE1000 (stealth I think?) and the Tungsten single sided. For whatever reason the Caldera just did not grab me during the couple of songs I tried on the Aegis. All very brief listening sessions and I am pretty sure I had my Dac was either in exclusive or not which someone pointed out to me about half way through the day. Very weird to try and bring a chain somewhere and try and make it sound like home where it never moves.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #2,055 of 2,443

Couple questions:

Tubes problem, sadly. It might goes away on its own, but most of the time - the static stays ... I have a pair of metal can 6cs7 with the same behavior - on a good day I could get through one track without much problem. If it's other tubes I'd advise cleaning the pins and play with them a bit, but the 5691 is supposedly very rugged, and you would be better finding a new pair I think.

Glad to see people trying the Hd800 with the amp. Love my OG HD800 on the Aegis too, very ethereal without butchering, err I mean toning down the treble/soundstage xD (yes I'm one of the nut case who prefer the og hd800 in its stock form). I really want to try some Grado (the new x series) and AKG (k812 and vintage K240 mostly) on mine but I can't find a pair locally to borrow yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back