Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Mar 14, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #2,071 of 2,631
Lol so it seems. Pretty bummed as I have a bunch of stuff I'm working on, that is going to be delayed for some time.

Is it the raw sheet stock that he ran out of?

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #2,072 of 2,631
Is it the raw sheet stock that he ran out of?

Yeah, hasn't gotten around to ordering more yet. They source the sheet metal and extrusion separately. During the pandemic, sourcing the aluminum was a real problem.

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #2,073 of 2,631
Yeah, hasn't gotten around to ordering more yet. They source the sheet metal and extrusion separately. During the pandemic, sourcing the aluminum was a real problem.

Yeah, I can only imagine sourcing that during Covid as everything was really messed up.

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #2,075 of 2,631
I'll get it done today and let you know. I have to update the build document as well, update the schematics, and add a change log at the end.

Just FYI because of all the Aegis builds, Dave at Landfall is currently running low on material, so chassis may be delayed for some time. This means my own personal projects are going to be delayed too :cry:
@LOrdGwyn Thanks for the up date.... looking good

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #2,076 of 2,631
Its a rare work from home day for me and this morning I'm still feeling so blown away by how good the Aegis sounds. Enjoying it with the Caldera and I'm barely getting any work done as I'm so distracted by the music 😅

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #2,077 of 2,631
Its a rare work from home day for me and this morning I'm still feeling so blown away by how good the Aegis sounds. Enjoying it with the Caldera and I'm barely getting any work done as I'm so distracted by the music 😅
It’s great isn’t it. I was thinking the same thing today, really love the Aegis. As an illustrator/ photographer I work from home everyday… it’s very easy to become distracted and just listen to the music…:L3000:

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #2,078 of 2,631
It’s great isn’t it. I was thinking the same thing today, really love the Aegis. As an illustrator/ photographer I work from home everyday… it’s very easy to become distracted and just listen to the music…:L3000:
I envy that you get to WFH everyday but I think I would end up being way to distracted listening to music.

Thats why in the office I can only listen to the Bokeh. With the Caldera or AC I do notice myself getting too distracted as well. The Bokeh is just all around a very fun listen and not as distracting.

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #2,079 of 2,631
I envy that you get to WFH everyday but I think I would end up being way to distracted listening to music.

Thats why in the office I can only listen to the Bokeh. With the Caldera or AC I do notice myself getting too distracted as well. The Bokeh is just all around a very fun listen and not as distracting.
For me, most of the time, the music provides the energy or the calm needed depending on the type of subject I’m working on. It’s my inspiration :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #2,080 of 2,631
Snuck back into the ZMF room a couple times to hear my HD800S on the one hooked up to the Yggdrasil, since I have a Yggdrasil at home. What a pairing! Can't wait to get it on top of my rack at home.

IMG_3583.JPG
I love the funky look of the commercial unit. Is the volume knob wood or metal? Would be cool (and fitting) if the volume went to “11”!
1710453637923.gif

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #2,081 of 2,631
I love the funky look of the commercial unit. Is the volume knob wood or metal? Would be cool (and fitting) if the volume went to “11”!

It's wood. In these prototypes, the knob is teak, but plan is for it to be walnut in the final version, which is a bit darker and gives a more bold look. Same for the power button.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #2,082 of 2,631
It's wood. In these prototypes, the knob is teak, but plan is for it to be walnut in the final version, which is a bit darker and gives a more bold look. Same for the power button.
Nice. Love the knob design. Very cool.

Speaking of wood knobs. I just got this in for mine. Unfortunately, the hole isn’t deep enough. We failed to discuss this. So I need to figure out the best way to make it deeper without breaking it. Guy who made it does custom guitar knobs. He did a custom one for me using same dimensions as the knob I have. I assume the hole depth he bore is meant for a guitar. Pretty cool for $20.

This is a better pic of it that he took. He added the laser etched pointer after he made this post for me.
https://archetypaldesert.com/produc...bony-with-rosewood-cap-30mm-dia-x-25mm-height

Link to his page.
https://archetypaldesert.com/

Attachments

• IMG_9786.jpeg
    IMG_9786.jpeg
    948 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9788.jpeg
    IMG_9788.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9789.jpeg
    IMG_9789.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #2,083 of 2,631
Nice. Love the knob design. Very cool.

Speaking of wood knobs. I just got this in for mine. Unfortunately, the hole isn’t deep enough. We failed to discuss this. So I need to figure out the best way to make it deeper without breaking it. Guy who made it does custom guitar knobs. He did a custom one for me using same dimensions as the knob I have. I assume the hole depth he bore is meant for a guitar. Pretty cool for $20.
https://archetypaldesert.com/

That's a problem in general with the longer shaft length of the Alps Blue Velvet Pot. I filed the shaft on mine down so that the knob would fit more flush.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #2,084 of 2,631
1710453637923.gif
I don't like the fascia of the commercial unit, but that won't stop me buying one. I've wanted an Aegis for ages. The alliteration is my gift...

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #2,085 of 2,631
That's a problem in general with the longer shaft length of the Alps Blue Velvet Pot. I filed the shaft on mine down so that the knob would fit more flush.
The shaft is perfect for the knob spec’d in the BOM. I’d prefer not to file it down if I don’t need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back