Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Mar 12, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #2,056 of 2,631
Tubes problem, sadly. It might goes away on its own, but most of the time - the static stays ... I have a pair of metal can 6cs7 with the same behavior - on a good day I could get through one track without much problem. If it's other tubes I'd advise cleaning the pins and play with them a bit, but the 5691 is supposedly very rugged, and you would be better finding a new pair I think.

Glad to see people trying the Hd800 with the amp. Love my OG HD800 on the Aegis too, very ethereal without butchering, err I mean toning down the treble/soundstage xD (yes I'm one of the nut case who prefer the og hd800 in its stock form). I really want to try some Grado (the new x series) and AKG (k812 and vintage K240 mostly) on mine but I can't find a pair locally to borrow yet.
The seller reached out. He asked me to clean the pins, put back in, and let them burn in and hour or two. If the noise doesn’t go away, he’ll refund me. Says 90% of the time this works. We’ll see. At least he’s a good seller.

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #2,058 of 2,631
I use a fine wire wool. Quick and easy to do.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #2,059 of 2,631
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #2,060 of 2,631
I cleaned the pins with Deoxit. I don't think much came off so don't think that was the cause of the static. When I put them back in they still did it. I then let them play for about 3 hrs straight checking periodically. The level of noise continued to decrease over time. I turned the amp off for an hour then back on. During warm up I could hear a little bit but no where near what it was doing. By then had roughly 4.5hrs of playing in total. I sat in silence for a few minutes and could not hear anything. So burning in has helped. The question I have is will they always make some noise early in a listening session or the more I burn in it will just go away completely. From what I heard in the last few hours of playing, it is pretty negligible and didn't notice it when playing music at a normal volume.

So guess I have to decide if I want to just keep them, send them back, or see if he'd be willing to give a partial refund to keep. Maybe it is nitpicking if inaudible at listening level.

On a side note, I really need to cool it on tube buying. You all are a BAD influence! Only had the amp operating for a week and I have way too many things I'm trying that needs burn in and I'm trying to be methodical on only changing out one thing at a time to hear a difference, Once I get some more time with some of these combos, I can report back to see if they match other people's opinions.

Right now sitting on:
Power Tubes: Mullard EL38 (2 pair), Genelax KT77 & KT88 (new stock), RCA 6V6, Mullard EL37 (due in early next week)
Input Tubes: Tung Sol 6SL7 (new stock), RCA 5691 red base
Rectifiers: Brimer 5R4GY, Westinghouse 5R4GYB, RCA 5R4GY

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #2,061 of 2,631
The commercial version of this amp was the best thing I heard at Canjam NYC, and quite possibly the best headphone amp I've ever heard. I will be first to order one on release!

What other tube amps have you heard?

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #2,062 of 2,631
FYI in the near future (probably some time this week) I am going to make a minor change to the amplifier PCB. Going to reference the output tube heaters to ground as opposed to cathode. Only making this change because two builders had a low level noise issue which was traced back to the heater reference. Both were able to fix it, and its a low likelihood of happening with the current PCBs, but I want to be sure it doesn't happen again. Just an FYI for anyone who is planning to buy / order PCBs soon.
@L0rdGwyn
can you let us know when the files would be updated so I can order the latest and greatest...thanks :xf_cool:

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #2,063 of 2,631
Right now sitting on:
Power Tubes: Mullard EL38 (2 pair), Genelax KT77 & KT88 (new stock), RCA 6V6, Mullard EL37 (due in early next week)
Input Tubes: Tung Sol 6SL7 (new stock), RCA 5691 red base
Rectifiers: Brimer 5R4GY, Westinghouse 5R4GYB, RCA 5R4GY
Mere seeds :)

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #2,065 of 2,631
has anyone figured out the optimum tubes ...
from reading the thread it appears many have, several times, on many different occasions, in a variety of arrangements. There’s probably some philosophical witticism to be made that I can’t quite come up with.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #2,066 of 2,631
has anyone figured out the optimum tubes ...
That will be different for everyone. Got to love variety and that's wat you get with tubes. . .

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #2,067 of 2,631
@L0rdGwyn
can you let us know when the files would be updated so I can order the latest and greatest...thanks :xf_cool:

I'll get it done today and let you know. I have to update the build document as well, update the schematics, and add a change log at the end.

Just FYI because of all the Aegis builds, Dave at Landfall is currently running low on material, so chassis may be delayed for some time. This means my own personal projects are going to be delayed too :cry:

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #2,068 of 2,631
I'll get it done today and let you know. I have to update the build document as well, update the schematics, and add a change log at the end.

Just FYI because of all the Aegis builds, Dave at Landfall is currently running low on material, so chassis may be delayed for some time. This means my own personal projects are going to be delayed too :cry:

So the Aegis caused Landfallout?

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #2,069 of 2,631
Mar 14, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #2,070 of 2,631
So the Aegis caused Landfallout?

Lol so it seems. Pretty bummed as I have a bunch of stuff I'm working on, that is going to be delayed for some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back