ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #1,321 of 1,497

Any head-fiers near you that can help you measure your pair? In fact compared to everyone else, both your rand @Carlsan's measurements have the potential to help out most.
It can go a long way in proving if there was a different batch, driver change etc, mass QC issues etc.

It would help out a lot of people I would imagine! 

None near me. Maybe Carlsan's that's sending his out for some head-fier for testing?

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #1,322 of 1,497

None near me. Maybe Carlsan's that's sending his out for some head-fier for testing?

You are in Europe right? Hopefully there is someone not too far who can measure it, you might have to mail it out tho. 

Guys anyone know of any well established head-fiers in Europe who can potentially help measure this unit? Surely there has to be someone.

Edit: Looking forward to how Carlsan's pair measures 
beerchug.gif

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,323 of 1,497
What smart phone and music player are you using ?

I don't listen through my phone; however, it is a Samsung Note 4. I own three DAPs: FiiO X1 (rarely used), iBasso DX80 (my current bread 'n' butter), and an iBasso DX90 (for when the DX80 is charging).

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #1,324 of 1,497
  Wow, I feel the exact opposite about mine. I was one of the first people to receive mine here on Head-fi. 

Here's a theory, the initial batch were done right, with good tuning, good drivers. 
Later batches, the manufacturer changed the drivers with cheaper drivers to make more profit,and didn't update the tuning.

Possibility?

If that's the case, no one should be buying their IEMs and should go out of business.

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #1,327 of 1,497
  We don't know yet, which is why I'm still semi intrigued. Even more intrigued if it's a case study into brain burn adjusting to it.

Well, I did one to one comparison with my Jupiter's, a fairly well regarded earphone, and, although the Jupiter is certainly a better earphone, I did not notice glaring differences, as would be the implication from some of the recent impressions.

I bought it back on Apr. 19 2016, received it a few weeks later. I already had it for at least a week when this thread was started. Bought it from the Chinese seller who cannot be named, by the way.

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #1,328 of 1,497
And this is why I'd really like Carlsan and Paulus XII to get theirs measured.  Heck if it was me, I'd be falling over myself making sure that it happened ASAP so I could prove it was earphone variation.

HiFiChris is in Germany and has a Veritas - so he could measure Paulus XIIs if they are both willing - he just needs to measure them without his compensation applied - so that we are comparing apples with apples.  And there should be plenty of people in the US for Carlsan to use. Once we get that done, then we can put the saga to rest 
smile.gif

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #1,329 of 1,497

Well, I did one to one comparison with my Jupiter's, a fairly well regarded earphone, and, although the Jupiter is certainly a better earphone, I did not notice glaring differences, as would be the implication from some of the recent impressions.

I bought it back on Apr. 19 2016, received it a few weeks later. I already had it for at least a week when this thread was started. Bought it from the Chinese seller who cannot be named, by the way.

Thats easy. Let me guess...

I can't see why they can't rival something like Jupiter, IE800 as you said earlier in this thread and several others of that caliber. I prefer them over Westone W60 that did not last too much time in here. I also prefer them over one of the greatest IEM's I've heard in the price bracket, the FLC8S. And they keep surprising me everyday, even today. They are indeed very special. But they messed up with something and are selling this crap and there's absoluteoly no word from them.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #1,330 of 1,497
  I tried EQ'ing mine last night, in case I was missing something, and they added nothing to the sound, actually the opposite. 

Again, adding to my theory above, that some of us did receive good units. 

I hate to mislead people as well, and often hold off posting glowing impressions or remarks, just in case I change my mind on gear. When this thread started, and earlier over on the Chinese thread (I believe) those of us that got these earphones were quite happy with their performance. People had nothing but positive things to say. 

What changed? Perhaps the earphone itself???

Exactly what I thought initially. Early prototypes and production models are excellent, but something happened at the mass production stage.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #1,331 of 1,497

I got my Qt5 used from another head fier and the unit is actually one of the earlier ones. This unit was reported by the previous member as sounding great, he even put it ahead of the Jupiter in his blog I believe, If you go back far enough you will see I complained about the bloated, thick lower mids and bass on my very first impression. This impression mirrors the posted frequency response measurements fairly well. 

I don't think anything wrong happened in the middle. Its just that some people happen to like this abnormality of the QT5's performance. 

I went for the QT5 based on the positive impressions/reviews posted here and outside of head fi. I remember even reading that these are a step above FLC8s/D2000j but I am not even remotely finding this to be the case. Now I am stuck with something which I just can't force myself to listen for more than a few mins, specially when I have the likes of FLC8s, Z5 and P1 lying around.

Well, another lesson learned on how not to jump on in the hype train too soon. 

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #1,332 of 1,497
  And this is why I'd really like Carlsan and Paulus XII to get theirs measured.  Heck if it was me, I'd be falling over myself making sure that it happened ASAP so I could prove it was earphone variation.

HiFiChris is in Germany and has a Veritas - so he could measure Paulus XIIs if they are both willing - he just needs to measure them without his compensation applied - so that we are comparing apples with apples.  And there should be plenty of people in the US for Carlsan to use. Once we get that done, then we can put the saga to rest 
smile.gif

+100 on the bolded part. 

@HiFiChris @Paulus XII Lets make this happen :)

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #1,333 of 1,497

I got my Qt5 used from another head fier and the unit is actually one of the earlier ones. This unit was reported by the previous member as sounding great, he even put it ahead of the Jupiter in his blog I believe, If you go back far enough you will see I complained about the bloated, thick lower mids and bass on my very first impression. This impression mirrors the posted frequency response measurements fairly well. 

I don't think anything wrong happened in the middle. Its just that some people happen to like this abnormality of the QT5's performance. 

I went for the QT5 based on the positive impressions/reviews posted here and outside of head fi. I remember even reading that these are a step above FLC8s/D2000j but I am not even remotely finding this to be the case. Now I am stuck with something which I just can't force myself to listen for more than a few mins, specially when I have the likes of FLC8s, Z5 and P1 lying around.

To be fair, this is a pretty unique case, usually there is never this much disparity in impressions and reviews. So it could be like one off thing but man I feel for you because you had to buy it with your own hard earned cash and now you're stuck with it. 
frown.gif

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #1,334 of 1,497

And this is why I want to get the others measured.  Its the only way we'll know the truth.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #1,335 of 1,497

And this is why I want to get the others measured.  Its the only way we'll know the truth.

PM me if you have a way of doing it or are interested in measuring my pair. In the US only, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back