ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #1,276 of 1,497
  This is why we need more companies to do loaner/tour programs so more people have an opportunity to test various components and not strictly rely on reviewers opinions.

To be fair, official tours and loaner programs are limited to sponsors only, so stuff like the QT5 technically can't get an official tour per say, but there is nothing against friends sharing toys. I share your sentiment but its always not so easy to set things up :)

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #1,277 of 1,497
  This is why we need more companies to do loaner/tour programs so more people have an opportunity to test various components and not strictly rely on reviewers opinions.

The problem is that after opportunities to keep samples, signing up for a loaner could seem very unattractive for an experienced reviewer. Remember, people like Brooko and Twister spend hours writing, comparing, and being as subjective as they can. It's not mere impressions.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #1,278 of 1,497

And that is often the issue isn't it - group think and confirmation bias?  Before you comment further - why don't you wait until you hear them.  Then we can get your views as well.

Yep, we're working on that.

Like right now... I tweaked my EQ curve a bit. Listening to Stone Temple Pilots -  Dead and Bloated 24bit FLAC. Switching between my modded balanced AKG 7XX and EQ'ed QT5... they come really close with obvious little differences. With no EQ, not so much

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #1,279 of 1,497
  The problem is that after opportunities to keep samples, signing up for a loaner seems very unattractive for an experienced reviewer. Remember, people like Brooko and Twister spend hours writing, comparing, and being as subjective as they can. It's not mere impressions.

I don't have a problem with a company sending reviewer samples.  I'd like to see loaner/tour products for the general masses like OPPO does and I'm sure a few others do.  This allows the individual to make informed purchase decisions based on a hands on experience not someone else's objective/subjective opinion.  

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #1,280 of 1,497
  The problem is that after opportunities to keep samples, signing up for a loaner seems very unattractive for an experienced reviewer.

Remember, people like Brooko and Twister spend hours writing, comparing, and being as subjective as they can. It's not mere impressions.

I don't mind the sentiment of what you posted - but I do want to split the two parts.  I'm more than happy to take part in tours - I still do it (Campfire is an example).  And I DO NOT want to be associated with the idea of reviewing in return for keeping the gear.  That is not me.

If I solicited review samples, I could probably have a lot more gear, and could get most as free units.  I don't.  Manufacturers come to me - and they always get the same terms - the gear is theirs - if they want it back and willing to pay the cost of returning, I send it back.

I do not review for the gear.  Never have done.  Not intending to start.

Most of the time - I listen to the gear (leisure) I own - and if I get a review sample I really like - I buy it from the manufacturer.

It helps keep me impartial - or at least as much as possible anyway.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #1,282 of 1,497
I did a 12 hours of driving in two days while wearing QT5s over ear , comfort and fit are luckily not a problem.

What if the there is another factor in the all this? For example enclosed and configured resonance being effected by the material in which its housed. eg sound produced through stainless steel , wood and plastic may effect people differently depending on an individuals atomic physiology.
I went to get my ears cleaned and was told that theres some bone growth in each ear canal that may eventually have to be removed if it obstructs hearing, makes me wonder how this effects what I hear? Note that my ears considered the Fidue A83 to be the best SQ in my collection up until QT5s arrived, surely cant be that bad then..

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #1,283 of 1,497
To be fair, official tours and loaner programs are limited to sponsors only, so stuff like the QT5 technically can't get an official tour per say, but there is nothing against friends sharing toys. I share your sentiment but its always not so easy to set things up :)

I'm more inclined to buy an iem after a hand on than reading a review. I wonder why manufacturers aren't going this route more often

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #1,284 of 1,497
  I don't have a problem with a company sending reviewer samples.  I'd like to see loaner/tour products for the general masses like OPPO does and I'm sure a few others do.  This allows the individual to make informed purchase decisions based on a hands on experience not someone else's objective/subjective opinion.  

That's a great idea. I think much of a review's purpose is to see how it stacks up to the competition, and ironically it's only because of free samples that such extensive comparisons can be possible. When I first started out, it would have definitely helped to be able to try out everything from tours. But even if I would have heard the K7XX and Shozy Alien, I would still have no clue how it compared to products in its price range and beyond.

I don't mind the sentiment of what you posted - but I do want to split the two parts.  I'm more than happy to take part in tours - I still do it (Campfire is an example).  And I DO NOT want to be associated with the idea of reviewing in return for keeping the gear.  That is not me.

If I solicited review samples, I could probably have a lot more gear, and could get most as free units.  I don't.  Manufacturers come to me - and they always get the same terms - the gear is theirs - if they want it back and willing to pay the cost of returning, I send it back.

I do not review for the gear.  Never have done.  Not intending to start.

Most of the time - I listen to the gear (leisure) I own - and if I get a review sample I really like - I buy it from the manufacturer.

It helps keep me impartial - or at least as much as possible anyway.

Ah, yes, YMMV on all this, edited my previous post to reflect that. Keeping the gear could seem attractive for some reviewers, especially if you don't have the money to buy it yourself. This doesn't mean that it's a biased review - reviewers get to keep the item no matter how they rate the item, as long as it's a detailed and thorough review. 

I'm sure most reviewers don't do it primarily to get the gear for free. But I'm sure for some they would rather do so, especially as an incentive for doing all the work.

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #1,285 of 1,497

But I also didn't see any electronic music, just worth noting. This is why I'm asking you, as someone who knows these songs better than me, how many of them are non-vocal. I don't doubt you when you say these sound horrible. But then it boggles my mind how these could have gotten amazing reviews in the first place. Couple that with different takes on the soundstage (which admittedly is more subjective), and I'm trying to see if there's another picture to all this.

Keep looking old son :)

http://www.head-fi.org/a/brookos-test-tracks

Electronic
Lindsay Stirling
Lindsay Stirling
Electric Daisy Violin
Trip Hop
Little Dragon
Ritual Union
Little Man
Electronic
The Flashbulb
Reunion
God Is Speaking

I really need to sit down and update that list at some stage - as there is also Trance (Van Beuren) which is basically a sister genre.

And if you're a fan of electronic music, and don't necessarily need it bass heavy - then The Flashbulb (Bandcamp link below) is amazing 
wink.gif

https://theflashbulb.bandcamp.com/album/r-union

Start with the second track.

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,286 of 1,497

Electronic

Lindsay Stirling

Lindsay Stirling

Electric Daisy Violin
[tr] [/tr]

Trip Hop

Little Dragon

Ritual Union

Little Man
[tr] [/tr]

Electronic

The Flashbulb

Reunion

God Is Speaking
[tr] [/tr]

I really need to sit down and update that list at some stage - as there is also Trance (Van Beuren) which is basically a sister genre.

And if you're a fan of electronic music, and don't necessarily need it bass heavy - then The Flashbulb (Bandcamp link below) is amazing :wink:

Am intrigued by what your sending up alongside the QT5s , will have a listen to this Flashbuld link when they arrive! Thx again for turbo boosting my sonic education! :beerchug: :popcorn:

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #1,287 of 1,497

Electronic
Lindsay Stirling
Lindsay Stirling
Electric Daisy Violin
Trip Hop
Little Dragon
Ritual Union
Little Man
Electronic
The Flashbulb
Reunion
God Is Speaking

And if you're a fan of electronic music, and don't necessarily need it bass heavy - then The Flashbulb (Bandcamp link below) is amazing 
wink.gif

Darn! My bad. Never heard of Trip Hop, and must've missed The Flashbulb one. Gonna take a look at that. Until now I've used Dues Ex - Sonic Augmentation by OCRemix (free to download) as my go-to. It's a really great album, and free is just a bonus. Would love to know what you think of it - http://augment.ocremix.org/download.php

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #1,290 of 1,497
QT5 is packed up and on it's way to Avi. Only an hour or so away so it won't take along to arrive.

The newest eq curve while listening tonight was just awesome on my Pulse X Infinity. It's how the default tuning should have been. It's a must try.

It makes me sad to see that iBasso has refused to add true PEQ to their DAPs, because they're all I own and multi-band EQ is a **** substitute. It'll be nearly impossible to adjust these things with any real specificity, should I feel the need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back