ZhiYin QT5 4BA + 1DD Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #1,261 of 1,497

Ok, we all know by now that this is not your signature. Which is odd, but understandable. I think you've told us once you have some kind of hearing related issue? Probably why you need more clarity/hot treble to compensate that deficiency, or the IEM won't sound good to you? Like the DUNU DN-2000J that was your perfect sound signature and several others can't tolerate the hot treble/clarity? By the way, I loved the 2000J, but I'm a treble-head and not sensitive to hot treble at all. Because the QT5 is unlike all that, it's a dark IEM, yet extremely resolving.

Don't take me wrong for asking you this, I always had this doubt.

Mate, if he says it sounds atrocious, it's not going to be resolved with a peaky treble issue. If anything, he said that the treble was lifeless. It's possible (but extremely unlikely) that this is a preference issue, for both the bad reviews and the good... but I wouldn't count on it, especially with this much of a disparity.

I really do want to hear this IEM now, because whichever way we go, nothing about this makes good sense.

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #1,262 of 1,497

Mate, if he says it sounds atrocious, it's not going to be resolved with a peaky treble issue. If anything, he said that the treble was lifeless. It's possible (but extremely unlikely) that this is a preference issue, for both the bad reviews and the good... but I wouldn't count on it, especially with this much of a disparity.

I really do want to hear this IEM now, because whichever way we go, nothing about this makes good sense.

I actually agree - this is a huge mess and I kind of want to do my own measurements on them too. I could just return it if I listen to it and absolutely hate it... 

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #1,263 of 1,497
  One review lowered it's rating by half a star, probably today. It could be he genuinely feels it deserves it, and it could be because of peer pressure. I know I would feel either.

One thing your (and everyone, pretty much) is missing is that it's possible (not likely, not for sure, but possible) that there was a bad batch, or that they changed the tuning for a batch (there's different versions on their website). This would explain the same measurements multiple units being the same. And this is probably why @Brooko wants all the units measured - to rule out this possibility.

Did Golden Ears (or the other happy reviewers, other than @bhazard) have their unit measured? Sorry if this was answered, I just joined the thread.

Concerning Golden Ear, not yet, but trying to get them measured. Just not the right timing.

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #1,264 of 1,497
  One review lowered it's rating by half a star, probably today. It could be he genuinely feels it deserves it, and it could be because of peer pressure. I know I would feel either.

One thing your (and everyone, pretty much) is missing is that it's possible (not likely, not for sure, but possible) that there was a bad batch, or that they changed the tuning for a batch (there's different versions on their website). This would explain the same measurements multiple units being the same. And this is probably why @Brooko wants all the units measured - to rule out this possibility.

Did Golden Ears (or the other happy reviewers, other than @bhazard) have their unit measured? Sorry if this was answered, I just joined the thread.

I listened to Seesax's pair before he returned them. They did not have as much bass and needed an extra db to match volume. The rest of the signature was similar. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the majority could be defective, but it's seeming to not be the case.

I also wiped my review for a rewrite. It reads too enthusiastic and needs changing in a bunch of places. I still think there's more to learn or more impressions to be heard as well.

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #1,265 of 1,497
Someone asked "what is really at the heart of all this?".

Answer: Some think the QT5s sound tremendous! Some dont!
Just a question of compiling measurements to reach a conclusion. :popcorn:

Interesting point about the lack of reference around Electronic Music , all I listen too is pretty much 2 hour sets of EDM , BBC essential mixes by Steve Lawler , Richie Hawten, Pirupa etc.. :gs1000smile: ideal for 2 hour work sessions.. QT5s+ Note 4/Wolfson+Nuetron tick all the right boxes for me at least with these 320kps tracks.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #1,266 of 1,497

Ok, we all know by now that this is not your signature. Which is odd, but understandable. I think you've told us once you have some kind of hearing related issue? Isn't it possible that this could be the reason why you need more clarity/hot treble to compensate that deficiency, or the IEM won't sound good to you? Like the DUNU DN-2000J that was your perfect sound signature and several others can't tolerate the hot treble/clarity? By the way, I loved the 2000J, but I'm a treble-head and not sensitive to hot treble at all. Because the QT5 is unlike all that, it's a dark IEM, yet extremely resolving.

Don't take me wrong for asking you this, I always had this doubt.

I have permanent tinnitus, and also normal age related hearing loss. I cover this in the"about me" section I always post on every review.  I also state that my preference is for a slightly boosted upper mid-range - usually around 2-3 kHz. Again - it is clearly stated.

Not sure if you are suggesting my tinnitus and inability to hear much above 14 kHz is affecting my ability to review the QT5?  If it is then you probably need to do what I suggested - take any neutral headphone, and apply the opposite of the frequency curve I used in the review.  If  anyone applied it, and still thought the result was good - then I don't know what to say.  You can't take away half of one the most important frequency bands for any type of music and call it good.  As a reviewer you should be able to appreciate this.  If you boost the fundamentals, and take away the harmonics - any music will appear flat, lifeless, and dull.

I do like a little more heat and clarity (not too much), and it has to do with preference rather than anything to do with my hearing. But I don't mark down a review because of my preference.  The Lyra I just reviewed is not my ideal signature either - suggest you read that one.  Thats how I roll.

Anyway - what I'd suggest everyone does is simply wait until:
  1. Paulus XII and others get their QT5s measured.  The more we get the more we can see if it is preference or not.
  2. There are more reviews

The only comment I'll make at this point is that I've had PMs from a few already who have shared my sentiments on the QT5.  I hope these people do review the pairs they have.  Then we can get more consensus.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #1,267 of 1,497

I actually agree - this is a huge mess and I kind of want to do my own measurements on them too. I could just return it if I listen to it and absolutely hate it... 

I'd suggest keeping an open mind - if you do indeed hate the sound sig, forming an opinion now isn't going to help. I feel bad that you're getting an IEM that you potentially might hate, but if you can, try to keep your mind impressionable when you first listen to them. Do measurements after listening to them. You wouldn't want to skew what you hear by expecting to hear what the measurements indicate, especially in such a weird situation.

I listened to Seesax's pair before he returned them. They did not have as much bass and needed an extra db to match volume. The rest of the signature was similar. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the majority could be defective, but it's seeming to not be the case.

I also wiped my review for a rewrite. It reads too enthusiastic and needs changing in a bunch of places. I still think there's more to learn or more impressions to be heard as well.

Don't be so hard on yourself, especially when everyone's quick to bash you. If I wanted to, I could raise hell on everyone's Noble Savant review and how the heck it could get 4 stars if the DN-2000J sound better at half the price. But I didn't. Opinions are more than expected here. They're natural, and without the plethora of equipment that Brooko has, coupled with brain burn-in, it's easy to go one way or the other.

If you really are okay with me hearing your unit (I know you already shipped them to someone else before), I'd love to hear it - not to judge you or your review, but to see if it's a matter of signature preferences or a bad batch. I wouldn't say the majority is defective - the "majority" (the 4-5 units measured) could be of the same batch though, and it's happened many times where an earlier batch sounds different than the later batch. Sennheiser's HD600/650 actually followed this route.

I'm going to be at the MoMA tomorrow. I forget where you work, but if it's anywhere near there, I'd be glad to meet you up and listen to the QT5 for a few minutes. I'll PM you for more info.

Wiping the review might be a good idea - not because of anything to do with you necessarily, but because people are idiots and will pretty much call reviewers liars and such if there's a polarizing opinion to a big reviewer like Brooko. Just shy away from the hate and relax - being the butt of "you're no good" can be exhausting.

Someone asked "what is really at the heart of all this?".

Answer: Some think the QT5s sound tremendous! Some dont!

I wish. Things don't usually turn out like that, especially when both parties have had a lot of experience with audio components. In my whatever years here, I don't remember seeing anything this polarizing except for the HD650, and that has a lot to do with earlier/later models and which amp is used.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #1,268 of 1,497
Two days ago I was elated to learn that my QT5 had shipped. Now they're hours away from my home and I already have buyer's remorse. I haven't even seen the packaging yet and all of this sudden negativity has left me feeling like I should have just replaced my broken FLC8S with another pair.

I just went from feeling like it's Christmas Eve, to Judgment Day.

Go into it with an open mind.  Discard all expectations one way or the other. It will be refreshing to hear someone else's POV - and I for one will look forward to your views.  Especially going from the FLC8S to the QT5.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #1,269 of 1,497

The only comment I'll make at this point is that I've had PMs from a few already who have shared my sentiments on the QT5.  I hope these people do review the pairs they have.  Then we can get more consensus.

Hang on. Why haven't they talked about it in this forum? It seems weird that they'd agree with you yet not put anything up here beforehand. I know I would be terribly confused, and would want to ask about it, if I heard what you heard considering the 5 star reviews.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #1,270 of 1,497

I have permanent tinnitus, and also normal age related hearing loss. I cover this in the"about me" section I always post on every review.  I also state that my preference is for a slightly boosted upper mid-range - usually around 2-3 kHz. Again - it is clearly stated.

Not sure if you are suggesting my tinnitus and inability to hear much above 14 kHz is affecting my ability to review the QT5?  If it is then you probably need to do what I suggested - take any neutral headphone, and apply the opposite of the frequency curve I used in the review.  If  anyone applied it, and still thought the result was good - then I don't know what to say.  You can't take away half of one the most important frequency bands for any type of music and call it good.  As a reviewer you should be able to appreciate this.  If you boost the fundamentals, and take away the harmonics - any music will appear flat, lifeless, and dull.

I do like a little more heat and clarity (not too much), and it has to do with preference rather than anything to do with my hearing. But I don't mark down a review because of my preference.  The Lyra I just reviewed is not my ideal signature either - suggest you read that one.  Thats how I roll.

Anyway - what I'd suggest everyone does is simply wait until:
  1. Paulus XII and others get their QT5s measured.  The more we get the more we can see if it is preference or not.
  2. There are more reviews

I do think that maybe some QT5 owners and other people erroneously assumed that that Paul Park was banned because of his scathing review (which clearly was not the case, nor am i attempting to discuss it, just highlighting it), and might be unwilling to be as candid and hence being cautious. I do hope people realize that head-fi doesn't actually ban people for sharing your honest opinion. 

It would be helpful for us all if more QT5 customers came forward with their impressions, be it positive or negative. 

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #1,272 of 1,497

Vince - as long as you're writing what you really think (positive or negative) thats all that really matters.  FWIW I've gone back and changed reviews multiple times when I've realised that what I've written does not reflect reality later. To me that is the sign of a good reviewer - accepting if you think you made a mistake and correcting it.  I did it with my Savant review. I've done it with Brainwavz IEMs. Always striving to be better at what you are doing, and learning along the way, is a good thing.

Don't beat yourself up - and don't change (based on what I've said) if you still hear them the same way.  Only change if you think it needs to be changed. And only you can be the judge of that

beerchug.gif

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #1,273 of 1,497
  Hang on. Why haven't they talked about it in this forum? It seems weird that they'd agree with you yet not put anything up here beforehand. I know I would be terribly confused, and would want to ask about it, if I heard what you heard considering the 5 star reviews.

And that is often the issue isn't it - group think and confirmation bias?  Before you comment further - why don't you wait until you hear them.  Then we can get your views as well.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #1,274 of 1,497

And that is often the issue isn't it - group think and confirmation bias?  Before you comment further - why don't you wait until you hear them.  Then we can get your views as well.

Hey hey, I'm working out an opportunity to hear them as we speak, I'm not all bark. I'm extremely interested to hear what these sound like.

I guess my extreme ignorance with sound charts should help me listen with a clean slate as well, eh? 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back