Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
May 27, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,981 of 6,090
Opening two brand new Tenores right now. One from Gigashop on Amazon.com and the other from the previously linked eBay seller mentioned by FlySweep and luisdent. Updates incoming.

May 27, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #1,982 of 6,090
First pair opened from eBay seller woodlandhills_cass. It's perfect. A non-bassy pair. Very similar to the ER4S. Hopefully it doesn't develop channel imbalance like 2 other Tenores I owned previously. I'll be avoiding using my Nexus 5 as source just to rule out all possible causes. My sources will be only a Sansa Fuze and/or Leckerton UHA760.

Now for the second Tenore from Gigashop...

May 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #1,983 of 6,090
Just got my tenores from woodlandhills on eBay. They are great. A balance of all of the fotm models. I'm really, really impressed with the entire upper mids and treble section. I would say it sounds like an amplified b3 pro I but without needing the amplifier. I wish it had just a touch more mid bass. Maybe it will come with burn in. It's fantastic. I already know it has a place in my top 5 based on presentation and clarity alone.

May 27, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #1,984 of 6,090
I think the cable is great- supple, flexible and easy to use. I think everyone would feel better if the strain reliefs at the housings were beefier.

I have received mine 1 week ago. I was very happy with the sound but so sad i had to put some stripe just below the housing because the wire is stripped. I wonder if i received a defective model or if the cable is very fragile. May be i will order another one if i am the only one who have problem with the cable.

May 27, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #1,986 of 6,090
Gigashop Tenore opened. Sounds different, but not bassy like my previous bassy pairs. The eBay Tenore has bass much more like the the ER4S, light and quick, while the the Gigashop Tenore has maybe 4dB more emphasis, but pretty much the exact same mids and treble.

On my previous bassy pairs, mids and treble were less emphasized, and one pair was actually less emphasized in those regions than the other pair.

So after listening to five different Tenores, I can say that no two really sound alike. I'm pretty sure that my previous "non-bassy" pair actually had more bass than this new eBay non-bassy pair, putting that previous pair somewhere in between the two that I have now.

So do I keep both of these? They sound very good, and almost identical except for the 4dB bass boost on one pair. It'd be nice to get a little more consistency.

I'll have to do more comparisons before deciding which pair is the more reference set. When a/b'ing I get the impression that the eBay bass-light Tenore may actually be too bass-light, as in less bass than what was measured in the previously shown graph. The bassy pair might actually sound closer to the graph this time around, but again more comparisons are needed.

May 27, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #1,987 of 6,090
Using mine for 4-8 hours a day for the last 2 months and they hold up really well giving pure bliss of audio orgasms with hybrid tips.

Sent from my Nokia 820 using Tapatalk

May 27, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #1,988 of 6,090
Gigashop Tenore opened. Sounds different, but not bassy like my previous bassy pairs. The eBay Tenore has bass much more like the the ER4S, light and quick, while the the Gigashop Tenore has maybe 4dB more emphasis, but pretty much the exact same mids and treble.

On my previous bassy pairs, mids and treble were less emphasized, and one pair was actually less emphasized in those regions than the other pair.

So after listening to five different Tenores, I can say that no two really sound alike. I'm pretty sure that my previous "non-bassy" pair actually had more bass than this new eBay non-bassy pair, putting that previous pair somewhere in between the two that I have now.

So do I keep both of these? They sound very good, and almost identical except for the 4dB bass boost on one pair. It'd be nice to get a little more consistency.

I'll have to do more comparisons before deciding which pair is the more reference set. When a/b'ing I get the impression that the eBay bass-light Tenore may actually be too bass-light, as in less bass than what was measured in the previously shown graph. The bassy pair might actually sound closer to the graph this time around, but again more comparisons are needed.
...?

I'll let you know once i get my other pairs. How did everyone else get theirs so fast? Did you pay more for shipping somehow?

For the record, my tenores are er4s with perfect bass. Right around the pfe112 bass level in quantity, which graphs amazingly well, but better impact, tightness, etc. i'm a happy man. I hope the other pairs sound the same. I wonder if different sellers really could have varying sets somehow.

May 27, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #1,989 of 6,090
All of this variance should be measured. If you own one pair and are happy with them, what is the problem? Why should it be related to the dealer? This is how the paranoia starts. Our own moods, the changing weather, your IEM fit, and other variables are just as likely a cause for small differences. If you received pairs at different times, maybe some have more hours of burn-in than others. None of this testing is controlled.

May 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,990 of 6,090
All of this variance should be measured. If you own one pair and are happy with them, what is the problem? Why should it be related to the dealer? This is how the paranoia starts. Our own moods, the changing weather, your IEM fit, and other variables are just as likely a cause for small differences. If you received pairs at different times, maybe some have more hours of burn-in than others. None of this testing is controlled.

That has been my point. If that isn't the case it seems unlikely any earphone would have so much variance. That would make me suspect fakes or problems from different sources. Otherwise i would suspect user ears. :) but gnarlsagan is familiar with these personal variances, so i'm pretty sure he would note things like that. It's too bad rin couldn't measure a bunch of them to check for variances. I'd be glad to send him three of mine. :p

May 27, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #1,991 of 6,090

Quite true, but I am doing direct comparisons, and I'm not talking about differences between FLAC and mp3 or something tiny. These are large swings in FR that are obviously noticeable.

I'm one of the most skeptical listeners here, but I'm sure that there are differences between units. I've done direct comparisons and not so direct comparisons, but I know when Jeff Mangum's voice has too much warmth or not, or if it sounds too distant or too forward. With new music my observations would be more prone to error, but I've listened to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea hundreds of times.

A flaw in an earphone like a more downward sloping FR isn't the same as more ethereal qualities like soundstage and timbre. The differences I'm talking about are less like the differences between wine vintages for example, and more like the differences between peanuts and pistachios. Or Coke vs. Pepsi.

May 27, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #1,992 of 6,090
I just sold the basso last week, and i miss all the mid and low section.. ah, i'm gonna buy another one soon :D. Anyway, the basso sometimes hurt my ears, i think the housing caused it. does anyone has the same problem with me? Or i should go for tenore with smaller housing.. hmm thanks.

May 27, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,993 of 6,090
Got damn hype is so ********* true.  

In other words, I just got mine today.  I can't believe how great these are for the mutha ********* price.  

I must have gotten a good pair, it sounds fantastic.  These were bought from Japan, yet made in China.  

Believe me, I had some nice phones, and these sound fantastic.

May 27, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #1,995 of 6,090
For anyone interested, I'm selling a pair of Basso's on the sale boards, somehow bought two by accident, only need one pair 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back