Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Oct 12, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #5,912 of 6,090
Are the tenores still a good value buy at the amazon price of $49, or should i be looking at other be ventures at this price?

well... the price changing doesn't really affect their sound quality. IMO significant improvement could be found more likely in the $100-200 range however I haven't heard many and there are a lot of well reviewed budget IEM lately

Hard to accept paying 50 for something that was 30 though- perhaps if you are after this type of sound signature it is still a good buy, but it's also possible for the extra money there are options that are more to your preferences, QC, or other features you might value.

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #5,913 of 6,090
I don't experience any vacuum issue at all, they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. Period.

There are trick like opening you mouth while you put them, and many others, but I put them in the right spot just with my hands. If I have a pressure issue, I move them to one side, let the air come in, and then come back to the centre. But I don't know, I spent no more than 5 s setting them.

None of those tricks work.
I think some of us were lucky enough to get a pair with glue or something like that blocking the venting on them...Its a common thing with these.

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #5,914 of 6,090
I think some of us were lucky enough to get a pair with glue or something like that blocking the venting on them...Its a common thing with these.

I've bought two units of these, and both were equally comfortable. So there's something you must be doing wrong.

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #5,916 of 6,090

Yo if the vent was really blocked comfort would be the last thing I'd worry about. The vent is a crucial part of the sound for dynamic drivers, if it really is blocked your sound quality would definitely suffer and probably a negative effect.

I suggest trying different tips or varying sizes and types, I think some people attributed this issue to the bore being so small that it tends to jam in too far in your ears. 

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #5,920 of 6,090
Here is my comparison of the Carbo Tenore vs UE Reference Remastered.

So after 3 months of wait I have received my UE RR back from a refit... In it's absence I have been using the Carbo Tenore almost everyday for mixing and mastering work. Today I have been switching back and forth between the Tenore and UERR and I am really at a loss for words how close they sound. The advantages of the UERR are clear to me now. 3 things, they extend more at both ends of the spectrum subs and ultra highs, they have less mid bass bloat, slightly better imaging and clarity in that it's easier to pick out sounds.

I thought it over and it's crazy because these 3 advantages are not that big of a deal. The extension in the subs and ultra highs aren't super obvious just by the fact that our ears are not very sensitive to those extreme frequencies. The mid bass bloat on the Carbo Tenore is not that bad anyways, in fact I find it to be quite fun at times but well controlled enough to do actual music production work. The imaging advantage on the UERR is really only slightly better and I cannot justify paying that much more for a marginal increase.

I'm shocked at how an unassuming 6mm dynamic driver can compete so well with a $1000 3 way BA custom IEM.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #5,921 of 6,090
I have these and I'm struggling with them. On one hand I really like the sound, on the other hand when they go in my ears they basically create such a vacuum that they feel like theyre going to suck my eardrums out. I tried james444s mod, which is cutting a strip off of another tip and putting the tip you use over it so it creates a little opening between the barrel of the IEM and the tip. This works great in getting rid of the vacuum, however it also sucks all the life out of these headphones. with the mod in place nearly all the bass is gone and everything just sounds flat and lifeless.

Is there anything else I can do to get rid oft eh vacuum or are there other headphones out there that are similar to the Tenores but don't have the vacuum issue?

The bolded part suggests that your silicone strips are causing too much leakage. Try the mod again with a strip of thinner silicone or some other thin material. You should lose a bit of bass vs. stock, but not nearly as much as you descibe.

Yo if the vent was really blocked comfort would be the last thing I'd worry about. The vent is a crucial part of the sound for dynamic drivers, if it really is blocked your sound quality would definitely suffer and probably a negative effect.

I suggest trying different tips or varying sizes and types, I think some people attributed this issue to the bore being so small that it tends to jam in too far in your ears. 

Blocked or not, the vent has nothing to do with a vacuum seal, since it sits at the rear side of the driver. A vacuum seal is created at the front side of the driver / diaphragm.

Here is my comparison of the Carbo Tenore vs UE Reference Remastered.

So after 3 months of wait I have received my UE RR back from a refit... In it's absence I have been using the Carbo Tenore almost everyday for mixing and mastering work. Today I have been switching back and forth between the Tenore and UERR and I am really at a loss for words how close they sound. The advantages of the UERR are clear to me now. 3 things, they extends more at both ends of the spectrum subs and ultra highs, they have less mid bass bloat, slightly better imaging and clarity in that it's easier to pick out sounds.

I thought it over and it's crazy because these 3 advantages are not that big of a deal. The extension in the subs and ultra highs aren't super obvious just by the fact that our ears are not very sensitive to those extreme frequencies. The mid bass bloat on the Carbo Tenore is not that bad anyways, in fact I find it to be quite fun at times but well controlled enough to do actual music production work. The imaging advantage on the UERR is really only slightly better and I cannot justify paying that much more for a marginal increase.

I'm shocked at how an unassuming 6mm dynamic driver can compete so well with a $1000 3 way BA custom IEM.

Great comparison, and it coincides with my own experience of how expertly tuned cheapos have the potential to compete with $1000 phones.

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #5,922 of 6,090
Is there a chinese iem that is comparable to the sound of tenore?

I have been listening to an IEM that was recommended on the Chinese thread called the Tennmak Pro for a few days now.  It was $27 on Amazon prime here in the US.

They have a darn good sound signature for the price.  I would say these could be considered in the same breath as the Carbo Tenores.

And yes, I like my Carbo Tenores.  The Tenores are great for listening to in bed.  The Tennmak Pros have an over the ear cable design, so they would be great for exercise and on the go usage.  I have yet to try them when going to sleep.

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #5,923 of 6,090
I have been listening to an IEM that was recommended on the Chinese thread called the Tennmak Pro for a few days now.  It was $27 on Amazon prime here in the US.

They have a darn good sound signature for the price.  I would say these could be considered in the same breath as the Carbo Tenores.

And yes, I like my Carbo Tenores.  The Tenores are great for listening to in bed.  The Tennmak Pros have an over the ear cable design, so they would be great for exercise and on the go usage.  I have yet to try them when going to sleep.

I actually own the Tennmak PRO but the sub bass is too emphasize for my taste, I still longed-for the overall clarity of the tenore.

Right now I'm eyeing for carbo mezzo but not much review yet.

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #5,924 of 6,090
I got the carbo tenores and I think they are some of the most hyped and overrated iems right behind the dunu titan 1/fiio ex1. They aren't very detailed and sound somewhat muffled yet the frequency response shows no significant treble dips. It has a somewhat emphasized bass response but it doesn't sound that clean. I felt that my re400s even with the huge treble dips sounded better and didn't sound as muffled. Probably fault to the drivers which are just not that great as they are not lacking anything in the frequency response. I had a similar experience with the philips s2 iems which had a good frequency response but the drivers just sounded cheap and technically incapable. For the money, the koss ksc75 is a much better value

Users who are viewing this thread

Back