Zero Audio ZH-DWX10 DUOZA dual dynamic driver iem
Mar 4, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #646 of 854
I should receive them early next week. Just got a pico portable from Justin at headamp & pairing those together should be awesome. Will post impressions for sure. The mrs. Is not very happy.

Wow, great setup! Congrats. Again, looking forward to hearing your impressions...

I am definitely familiar with the situation re: the mrs. Hopefully it blows over quickly...

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #647 of 854
Hello All,

After using the DuoZA for 2 weeks I can honestly say it's the most preferred earphone in my collection for daily listening. It can't retrieve details as well as the Altone200 or match the clarity but it is impressive how well it keeps up. After using the DN-1000 for few weeks last year I've been wanting to add to my collection since it ticks all the checkboxes for my sound preference but for $115 US, the DuoZA is the best alternative I've found. Loving it so much that I haven't used any other since this passed the 24 hours burn-in. That said I'm still nervous about the cable as they feel/seem a bit fragile from the Y split to each housing, while the earphone itself is average in build quality. Though the pill shape is larger than normal, they are surprisingly lightweight and extremely comfortable wearing cable up. I don't like the included tips and they should have added a clip for the asking price. The Piston 2.1 small tips always work best for me so I'm using those until the JVC spiral arrive next week.

I think the DuoZA is definitely worth much more than the current retail price with regards to sound quality. Hope this helps.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #648 of 854
I got home from work today to find a pink slip in my mailbox.  Apparently the USPS tried to deliver my Duozas today but they required a signature.  Now I have to drive out to the post office in the morning to pick them up first-hand.  The lame thing about it is that I spend more on the amplifier and Sennheisers that UPS just left sitting on my doorstep last week.

Oh well, at least I'll finally have them.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #649 of 854
Hello All,

After using the DuoZA for 2 weeks I can honestly say it's the most preferred earphone in my collection for daily listening. It can't retrieve details as well as the Altone200 or match the clarity but it is impressive how well it keeps up. After using the DN-1000 for few weeks last year I've been wanting to add to my collection since it ticks all the checkboxes for my sound preference but for $115 US, the DuoZA is the best alternative I've found. Loving it so much that I haven't used any other since this passed the 24 hours burn-in. That said I'm still nervous about the cable as they feel/seem a bit fragile from the Y split to each housing, while the earphone itself is average in build quality. Though the pill shape is larger than normal, they are surprisingly lightweight and extremely comfortable wearing cable up. I don't like the included tips and they should have added a clip for the asking price. The Piston 2.1 small tips always work best for me so I'm using those until the JVC spiral arrive next week.

I tried both JVC spiral dots and Sony hybrids. My ears prefer Sony hybrids because they make Duoza sound warmer.

I also have Altone 200. The treble of Altone is great but when it comes to sound stage and vocal rendition, I think Duoza beat Altone hands down. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #650 of 854
I just got my Duozas and I'm taking them for their first test run as I type this.  Accordingly, this should not be taken as a review, but first impressions straight out of the box.  These things are currently six minutes into their lifespan, so they have zero burn-in.

The album being tested is a 16/44.1KHz ALAC CD rip of Opeth's Pale Communion, which was selected for its phenomenal production and dynamic range. My source is an iBasso DX90 on low gain, volume of 230.  No external amplification was used and all comparisons to other IEMs are from recent memory with fully burned-in headphones.

-----

Packaging: Small, tight, a bit too snug.  I was a bit afraid of tearing the cable on the plastic flaps that hold it in place but they came out just fine.  Do note that you have to remove the ear tips to get the housings out.

Accessories: Nothing to speak of, really.  A few extra ear tips that most of us aren't even going to use and a cloth carrying bag that will offer your Duoza's virtually no protection.  I'd be inclined to say that this is acceptable for the price range, but my $80 RE-400s came with a clamshell case, over twice as many ear tips (including Comply branded foamies), a shirt clip, and 8 or 10 replacement filters, so . . . yeah.

Design/Build Quality: I can say nothing about the internals because as far as I know all mechanical/electronic devices are powered by witchcraft.  Personally, I think the Duozas are the weirdest looking IEMs I've ever seen.  The perpendicular stems make little sense to me but hey, whatever.  Otherwise I think they look pretty spiffy and while I don't dig the asymmetry much, you'll never mix up left and right since they're colored separately.  They're huge compared to many other IEMs but smaller than this thread led me to believe they'd be.  The actual housings themselves feel extremely solid, nearly bulletproof.  In this respect they remind me of my RHA MA750s, except for the plastic band between the two portions of the metal shells, which I expect will be the weak point.  They're also very lightweight despite their size.

The cable feels great in my hands: it's soft, very flexible, and despite having been coiled since it was packaged it has already lost most of its tangle.  I don't think it's going to kink, crimp, or tangle easily.  I am a bit concerned about how durable it is but it's far from the worst I've seen (or currently own).

On insertion I occasionally hear very mild driver flex, particularly in the right monitor.  Overall, initial impressions are quite good.

Comfort:  I'm stunned by how comfy the Duozas are, given their size and how far they stick out of my ears.  Right now I'm using the stock tips that came installed on them and while I can feel them in place they're not irritating and feel quite light.  They don't move easily as long as I'm not headbanging.  I don't know if I can sleep in these without my pillow pressing against them awkwardly but they'll be perfect for normal on-the-go use.  Fantastic work, Zero Audio!

Sound Quality:  [Reminder: this is not a formal review, but simply out-of-the-box impressions using the default tips.]  The first thing that hit me was the warmth: these things aren't overbearing but they're considerably north of neutral in that department.  I can imagine they'll be amazing for electronic music and they make even fairly anemic bass drums punch nicely.  There's a bit of veiling in the mids, but hopefully that will smooth out as they burn in.

It didn't take me long to adjust to the "temperature" change because I was distracted by the ENORMOUS soundstage.  I mean, wow—these things sound huge for IEMs.  I can't say I've ever heard another pair that sounds this wide or deep; and despite the obvious bass boost the sound surprisingly airy and unconstrained.  I'm extremely impressed.  Instrumental separation and placement is pretty fantastic, although I do feel like the bass crowds the spacing just a hair at times.

Treble doesn't feel like it has the extension or clarity of my RE-400s but it also doesn't feel particularly recessed or rolled off.  It's not fatiguing at all (at least with pristine recordings), and may even be a bit smooth for some.  These things are warm but not dark enough to be smothering.

Mids feel well-placed and clear.  Acoustic guitar tones have a beautiful timbre even if it's not 100% natural.  Vocals are up front and intimate but not so much so that the music feels imbalanced.  There's definitely a touch of veiling from the bass, however.  Overall, the sound is quite full but not what I'd call dense, thanks to the airy treble and spacious soundstage.

The bass, at least with these tips, is slightly overwhelming.  While they have decent sub-bass extension and mid-bass warmth I feel like there's definitely a hump that could use some taming—again, something that might tighten up during burn-in and be altered by tip rolling.  (I bought a pack of medium-large JVC Spiral Dot tips with these but haven't tried them on yet.  I also have Sony Hybrids and RHA MA750 dual-density silicone tips.  I'm confident that something will work for me.)

As far as attack and decay are concerned, it's way too early to tell but I think the RE-400s are a touch faster, with snare drums that crack hard enough to make me blink with my eyes closed.  Comparatively, the Duozas have a much richer, deeper low end that might tighten up and make electronic music a lot more fun than the Waterlines.

Overall First Impressions:  Assuming the bass learns to behave itself, these stand a chance at becoming my new all-time favorite IEMs (currently the Sleek Audio SA7s—which, unjustifiably, have no presence whatsoever here).  Sadly, my SA7s were stolen recently so I cannot A/B the two.  I'll probably try my hand at writing my first official Head-Fi review of these beauties in a week or so, once I've had a chance to really feel them out.  In the meanwhile I'll burn them in and tip roll to figure out what feels best to me.

TL;DR: First, don't "tl;dr" me.  Second, the Zero Audio ZH-DWX10 Duozas are off to a very promising start and seem to absolutely have been worth the cost and delays of international shipping.  Everyone with access should at least demo a pair, if not outright take the plunge.

-----

Buy these.  Zero Audio deserves it.  You deserve them.  The gods of old compel you to do it!

EDIT: After about one hour's time I'm starting to feel very mild irritation from the fit.  It's not unbearable but I've had other IEMs that are gentler on my ears.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #651 of 854
  I just got my Duozas and I'm taking them for their first test run as I type this.  Accordingly, this should not be taken as a review, but first impressions straight out of the box.  These things are currently six minutes into their lifespan, so they have zero burn-in.

The album being tested is a 16/44.1KHz ALAC CD rip of Opeth's Pale Communion, which was selected for its phenomenal production and dynamic range. My source is an iBasso DX90 on low gain, volume of 230.  No external amplification was used and all comparisons to other IEMs are from recent memory with fully burned-in headphones.

-----

Packaging: Small, tight, a bit too snug.  I was a bit afraid of tearing the cable on the plastic flaps that hold it in place but they came out just fine.  Do note that you have to remove the ear tips to get the housings out.

Accessories: Nothing to speak of, really.  A few extra ear tips that most of us aren't even going to use and a cloth carrying bag that will offer your Duoza's virtually no protection.  I'd be inclined to say that this is acceptable for the price range, but my $80 RE-400s came with a clamshell case, over twice as many ear tips (including Comply branded foamies), a shirt clip, and 8 or 10 replacement filters, so . . . yeah.

Design/Build Quality: I can say nothing about the internals because as far as I know all mechanical/electronic devices are powered by witchcraft.  Personally, I think the Duozas are the weirdest looking IEMs I've ever seen.  The perpendicular stems make little sense to me but hey, whatever.  Otherwise I think they look pretty spiffy and while I don't dig the asymmetry much, you'll never mix up left and right since they're colored separately.  They're huge compared to many other IEMs but smaller than this thread led me to believe they'd be.  The actual housings themselves feel extremely solid, nearly bulletproof.  In this respect they remind me of my RHA MA750s, except for the plastic band between the two portions of the metal shells, which I expect will be the weak point.  They're also very lightweight despite their size.

The cable feels great in my hands: it's soft, very flexible, and despite having been coiled since it was packaged it has already lost most of its tangle.  I don't think it's going to kink, crimp, or tangle easily.  I am a bit concerned about how durable it is but it's far from the worst I've seen (or currently own).

On insertion I occasionally hear very mild driver flex, particularly in the right monitor.  Overall, initial impressions are quite good.

Comfort:  I'm stunned by how comfy the Duozas are, given their size and how far they stick out of my ears.  Right now I'm using the stock tips that came installed on them and while I can feel them in place they're not irritating and feel quite light.  They don't move easily as long as I'm not headbanging.  I don't know if I can sleep in these without my pillow pressing against them awkwardly but they'll be perfect for normal on-the-go use.  Fantastic work, Zero Audio!

Sound Quality:  [Reminder: this is not a formal review, but simply out-of-the-box impressions using the default tips.]  The first thing that hit me was the warmth: these things aren't overbearing but they're considerably north of neutral in that department.  I can imagine they'll be amazing for electronic music and they make even fairly anemic bass drums punch nicely.  There's a bit of veiling in the mids, but hopefully that will smooth out as they burn in.

It didn't take me long to adjust to the "temperature" change because I was distracted by the ENORMOUS soundstage.  I mean, wow—these things sound huge for IEMs.  I can't say I've ever heard another pair that sounds this wide or deep; and despite the obvious bass boost the sound surprisingly airy and unconstrained.  I'm extremely impressed.  Instrumental separation and placement is pretty fantastic, although I do feel like the bass crowds the spacing just a hair at times.

Treble doesn't feel like it has the extension or clarity of my RE-400s but it also doesn't feel particularly recessed or rolled off.  It's not fatiguing at all (at least with pristine recordings), and may even be a bit smooth for some.  These things are warm but not dark enough to be smothering.

Mids feel well-placed and clear.  Acoustic guitar tones have a beautiful timbre even if it's not 100% natural.  Vocals are up front and intimate but not so much so that the music feels imbalanced.  There's definitely a touch of veiling from the bass, however.  Overall, the sound is quite full but not what I'd call dense, thanks to the airy treble and spacious soundstage.

The bass, at least with these tips, is slightly overwhelming.  While they have decent sub-bass extension and mid-bass warmth I feel like there's definitely a hump that could use some taming—again, something that might tighten up during burn-in and be altered by tip rolling.  (I bought a pack of medium-large JVC Spiral Dot tips with these but haven't tried them on yet.  I also have Sony Hybrids and RHA MA750 dual-density silicone tips.  I'm confident that something will work for me.)

As far as attack and decay are concerned, it's way too early to tell but I think the RE-400s are a touch faster, with snare drums that crack hard enough to make me blink with my eyes closed.  Comparatively, the Duozas have a much richer, deeper low end that might tighten up and make electronic music a lot more fun than the Waterlines.

Overall First Impressions:  Assuming the bass learns to behave itself, these stand a chance at becoming my new all-time favorite IEMs (currently the Sleek Audio SA7s—which, unjustifiably, have no presence whatsoever here).  Sadly, my SA7s were stolen recently so I cannot A/B the two.  I'll probably try my hand at writing my first official Head-Fi review of these beauties in a week or so, once I've had a chance to really feel them out.  In the meanwhile I'll burn them in and tip roll to figure out what feels best to me.

TL;DR: First, don't "tl;dr" me.  Second, the Zero Audio ZH-DWX10 Duozas are off to a very promising start and seem to absolutely have been worth the cost and delays of international shipping.  Everyone with access should at least demo a pair, if not outright take the plunge.

-----

Buy these.  Zero Audio deserves it.  You deserve them.  The gods of old compel you to do it!

EDIT: After about one hour's time I'm starting to feel very mild irritation from the fit.  It's not unbearable but I've had other IEMs that are gentler on my ears.

I share almost exact the thoughts on the Duoza, I wrote a short comparison between the Duoza, KC06A, Tenore and Yamaha EPH100 in the discovery thread yesterday: http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-first-look-at-the-zero-audio-duoza-iems-by-ericp10-page-1817/28755#post_11378600

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #652 of 854

-----

-----

Too long - didn't read. 
wink.gif

Joking of course - great initial impressions, and it's great that you are enjoying them so much. For sure try out the spiral dots and let us know what you think.

All a man needs in this world are a pair of duoza's and a pair of titan1's. Done!

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #653 of 854
Nice of you to share your impressions.

IMHO, the ZAD's are the best value for money "audiophile" IEM's ever made.

Driving them out of my Sony D100 and playing pure 2ch DSD tracks, the ZAD's really come alive. And via the AK120 (old) they remain fairly flat. Via Iphone and Galaxy S4, they are very good indeed. Can't place my finger on what is happening via the AK120. Is it a lack of power or something else.

Anyway glad to own a pair of ZAD's and hoping to recable the current pair soon and then take the plunge on a 2nd pair and keep it in stock format.

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #654 of 854
UPDATE:  I might have a few small problems here.  First, I'm starting to suspect I have a small channel imbalance, with the right side never quite feeling like it matches the left in volume.  Fine details tend to be lost on that side, such as when high hats and gentle guitar plucks pan to the right.  They're not gone completely, but faint enough that I'm concerned about it.

Also, I've noticed that even when playing lossless ALAC CD rips of beautifully produced music, there is mild hissing in the background through my FiiO X1.  This is worsened by amplification through my Objective 2: at 1x gain the sound is mild but ever-present; at 4x, I can hear it during louder parts of the music.  The hissing is also there when I'm listening to my DX90 through the O2, but I haven't done enough DX90 standalone testing to feel it out.

Finally, every time I adjust the right side or insert it, I get considerable driver flex.  It's mild and somewhat rare on the left, but the right is all kinds of crinkly with even very subtle movements.

All of these things concern me deeply because I don't want to pay international shipping costs on an exchange through Amazon Japan and I would hate to get a replacement unit only to discover that these problems are inherent to the Duozas and not just a defect this one pair.  Has anyone else had these or related issues with their Duozas?

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #655 of 854

Too long - didn't read. 
wink.gif

Joking of course - great initial impressions, and it's great that you are enjoying them so much. For sure try out the spiral dots and let us know what you think.

All a man needs in this world are a pair of duoza's and a pair of titan1's. Done!

i still have a hard time thinking you listen to these over your h200.  you make me want get rid of mine and get the titan1 or duoza.  but i think it might be a trick. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #656 of 854

i still have a hard time thinking you listen to these over your h200.  you make me want get rid of mine and get the titan1 or duoza.  but i think it might be a trick. 

As you know, the h200's are excellent. But the titan1's are freaks. This is what the titan1's have going for them:

- HUGE soundstage (width and depth) and amazing layering. Very 3D. You feel fully immersed. Headphone like.

- Awesome bass. Very full and very immersive, yet fast and without bloat.

- Awesome highs. Forward and very extended, but without being harsh or fatuiging (I thought for sure they would be)

At first I thought my titan1 enjoyment might just be new toy syndrome, but I have been listening to them non-stop since I got them. They are great with progressive rock, rock, and brilliant with trance and other electronica.

Oh, and they are the most comfortable iems I have tried. And they stay in the best out of any iems I have tried - they simply don't fall out (which is an issue I still have with the h200's).

Totally addicted.

But it's all a trick :)

edit: The duoza's are excellent also, but are very different from the titan1's. Hence I think that it is important for everyone to have both. Ha! More trickery!

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #657 of 854
damned you to heck!!!!!! (shakes fist)  jk.  i was leaning toward the dn1000, but now the titans or duoza's are on my list....leaning more toward titans cause i want to be able to lay on side with them if possible.  i'm in love with the h200 still but want just a hair more bass, soundstage and they can be a little fatiguing during long sessions.  so yah, i may as well save $60-100 on the dn1000 and pick up the titan or duoza.....

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #659 of 854
Not really designed for that kind use but you'll have to try finding a position to lay that works for you. listen to music every night laying down and the DuoZA sticks out too much, forcing me to tilt my head on the pillow which hurts the neck after a while or I have to keep adjusting / changing position. More importantly, they will slip out because of the angle it's contacting the pillow or if there is too much pressure pushing the DuoZA in the ear, it will start sounding restrictive.

Mar 7, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #660 of 854
Not really designed for that kind use but you'll have to try finding a position to lay that works for you. listen to music every night laying down and the DuoZA sticks out too much, forcing me to tilt my head on the pillow which hurts the neck after a while or I have to keep adjusting / changing position. More importantly, they will slip out because of the angle it's contacting the pillow or if there is too much pressure pushing the DuoZA in the ear, it will start sounding restrictive.

Yup, duoza's not condusive to laying down. Titans are.

The duoza's are very condusive to Radiohead though :)

I still can't believe how different duoza's and titan1's are, and yet how awesome they both are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back