ZEN by DUNU: our first model designed around next-generation driver platform ECLIPSƎ
Jan 27, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #601 of 1,326
If you plan to run just iems, I’d say grab a Lotoo paw s1. Works really well and it’s small if you’re using a MacBook. If it’s a Mac desktop then the options are open. iFi hip dac or the FiiO q5s are good middle of the road options if you plan to use the Zen and maybe some full size cans.

It would be IEMs and full size and off a MacBook... the hip dac would work in that context? Need to drive HD650 also.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #602 of 1,326
As long as you ran the HD650 balanced then yes it would be fine off the hip dac. I mean it will hit full volume off the single ended port just fine. My 6xx sounded better balanced though it. Will it be as good as something like the iFi micro iDSD Signature for the HD650? Not really, but it comes down to how often the MacBook moves around. I like the hip dac on my macbook if I run some full size headphones, otherwise I use the paw S1 for only IEMs off the MacBook. I'm also weird and move around with my MacBook a lot so the S1 is usually ideal for me :sweat_smile:

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #603 of 1,326
Actually I forgot to add and looking at the ifi Micro iDSD Signature again, I see it would solve another problem for me which is listening to CDs via my main audio system - amazingly, the Audiolab 6000a amp can't drive the HD650 and as it has no audio out, I can't run it through a headphone amp - not something I considered when I bought it. The CD player (Audiolab 6000cd) is a CD transport with optical out so I could run that to the iDSD and at least solve the CD problem, if not the vinyl. As this will solve two scenarios, feels like I should probably wait.

Screenshot_20210127-141355_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #604 of 1,326
Actually I forgot to add and looking at the ifi Micro iDSD Signature again, I see it would solve another problem for me which is listening to CDs via my main audio system - amazingly, the Audiolab 6000a amp can't drive the HD650 and as it has no audio out, I can't run it through a headphone amp - not something I considered when I bought it. The CD player (Audiolab 6000cd) is a CD transport with optical out so I could run that to the iDSD and at least solve the CD problem, if not the vinyl. As this will solve two scenarios, feels like I should probably wait.

Screenshot_20210127-141355_Amazon Shopping.jpg
With the other devices you need to run, I'd say the Signature will be probably the best all rounder to grab.

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #605 of 1,326
Jan 28, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #607 of 1,326
dunu kit 2.jpg
dunu qyugfuwegyf.jpg

I don't know what I'm doing, I haven't even heard em yet?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #610 of 1,326
Jan 28, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #612 of 1,326
dunu kit 2.jpgdunu qyugfuwegyf.jpg

I don't know what I'm doing, I haven't even heard em yet?
Here's a little something-something from me too 😉

9F0CEEE2-4E62-4EE6-9BE3-CCE6A51E944B.jpeg

Just a preview for now.

It's already 4:40 AM here in Toronto.

I'll be taking more photos later on. Still haven't had a proper listen besides my initial impressions for my unboxing video. Still busy with work. I wanna take more photos before I start my actual listening session. So I'll try to finish my photoshoot with these beauties.

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #613 of 1,326
Impressions in the first hour.

Allegaeon
Roundabout cover

ZEN Sony 1A J region MrWalkman's DMP-Z1 emulation MK2 in direct mode.

Stock cable 4.4mm and Blue L DUNU tips from SA6.

FLAC not YouTube :)

.07 seconds: Here harmonics and acoustic guitar, not too forward though maybe missing just the smallest extra guitar treble timbre (in comparison to maybe the best IEMs) though harmonics spacious and real, flowing reverberations. Not a big deal here as the slight set back of the guitar tone is simply the ZEN showing it's way. Maybe a trait that will be super easy to get used to? Amazing detail as you can hear the strings slightly get pulled by the fingers making a small slide sound.

.31 seconds to .32 seconds: Pan reverb, super nice sent-off guitar delay/pan and going separated from center. Kind of a ZEN charm that will be going on more with other small elements and sweeping pans on the outside.

.45 seconds: Probably the most important test in the song. Showing the arrival of the ever so forward and upfront bass. The star of this section of the song and a make it or not moment. Totally lovely centering timbre and placement staging in the mix, spot on. Amazing.

.50 seconds: So here is where the guitar makes itself be known. This style of guitar timbre is critical and something BAs can make off tone or approaching nasal. Yet the ZEN totally encapsulates and separates in relief the absolute correct tone, but way more important, the texture here. Nailed the guitar texture at ten seconds under a minute. :)

3.16 minute/seconds: The huge bass drop. The do it or go home moment in the song. Again 10/10 and separation and additional complications with growl vocal all staged exactly right. Passed in flying colors.

5.23 minute/seconds: Somebody was asking about male vocals having weight and realism and yep! Yes they do 100%. 10/10

So there you have it, right out of the box today summery. This was one IEM where I read a bunch of opinions before listening. Soundstage is nice and actually fairly bigger than I guessed. Love the positioning and imaging. I get what the talk is about the upper midrange bump and slightly pushed closeness in positioning going on.

Amazing and far better than the price would have you guess. Spent earlier with OST music, like “Furnace” off Blade Runner 2049 and it was flagship level!

But, my God! This is a rock or metal IEM. It’s right at home with metal and has a sway and swagger groove that’s intoxicating!

If someone just needed a metal IEM, this would be end-game.

Top Sound 1.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #614 of 1,326
Zen acuatlly sounds much better to me with a bit help of EQ . The area 2700-3000hz is just to much for some songs .. tried cables / tips etc .. but always return back to use some EQ. With this area EQ’d down by around 3DB .. it’s one of the best single dd iems I’ve heard .

I’m using LPGT with fiio LC-RE.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #615 of 1,326
I really like the R6 2020 and Zen combo, it's a very dynamic duo the clearer sounding R6 2020 (compared to DX300 and M8) works well there. R6 2020 also brings a lot of bass slam (not as much as Shanling M8 but still very very nice) and opens up the stage with a lot of air and the extension is pretty impressive the R6 2020 is deceptively resolving competing with much pricier DAPs by the way. The linear mids work well with the Zen and benefits instrument separation. It makes Zen less relaxed but still smooth and I like what I am hearing.

74CF4A3E-5021-42FD-941D-BAB5141608C4.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back