Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Dec 21, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #1,367 of 1,480
Now to begin the journey. Excuse the mess moving things around to put the HM1 in its place.

IMG_9500.jpeg
Nice setup, but I'm noticing block fixture with the 1906 on it 🤙

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #1,368 of 1,480
So I took the plunge and reserved an HM1. The German distributor was very honest in charging me just 30% until availability gets defined. But it shouldn’t be a long wait, as they’re expecting to receive some in a month or two.
I’ll put my Burson Voyager on sale as I receive it. Nothing wrong with it, it sounds splendid, but you know, one is always chasing for the best. 😇

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #1,369 of 1,480
So I took the plunge and reserved an HM1. The German distributor was very honest in charging me just 30% until availability gets defined. But it shouldn’t be a long wait, as they’re expecting to receive some in a month or two.
I’ll put my Burson Voyager on sale as I receive it. Nothing wrong with it, it sounds splendid, but you know, one is always chasing for the best. 😇
Waiting for a limited production bespoke product can be exhausting. I recently received my DNA Starlett after an 18 month wait, courtesy of Covid. The wait was well worth it though and I m sure that you'll find this to be the case once you receive your HM1! 👍

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #1,370 of 1,480
Waiting for a limited production bespoke product can be exhausting. I recently received my DNA Starlett after an 18 month wait, courtesy of Covid. The wait was well worth it though and I m sure that you'll find this to be the case once you receive your HM1! 👍

18 months! It takes so much patience.
Honestly, had they replied me so much time was needed I would have passed. Fingers crossed. 😇

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #1,371 of 1,480
18 months! It takes so much patience.
Honestly, had they replied me so much time was needed I would have passed. Fingers crossed. 😇
Actually the original build time for my Starlett was 10 months. Further covid related parts' delays pushed the build time back another 8 months. Donald North also explained that an additional problem had to do with quality control issues over parts, which also caused additional delays. In spite of this, Donald was great to deal with and builds a truly superb product.

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #1,372 of 1,480
Hopefully, you'll be able to directly compare these two before you sell the Voyager?

If I ever decide on ordering the HM1, I'll also consider the Voyager as a stop-gap whilst potentially waiting a long time.
I'm particularly interested in how the Burson's headphones cross-feed compares to HM1's "sound stage knob".

The SPL Phonitor XE could also be a stop-gap. But whilst I was quite impressed with its SQ (for the price), I was very unimpressed with its cross-feed function (compared to my DAVE ).

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #1,373 of 1,480
Hopefully, you'll be able to directly compare these two before you sell the Voyager?

If I ever decide on ordering the HM1, I'll also consider the Voyager as a stop-gap whilst potentially waiting a long time.
I'm particularly interested in how the Burson's headphones cross-feed compares to HM1's "sound stage knob".

The SPL Phonitor XE could also be a stop-gap. But whilst I was quite impressed with its SQ (for the price), I was very unimpressed with its cross-feed function (compared to my DAVE ).
I'd be very interested to know if you were ever able to compare the cross feed circuit from the Chord Dave with the Meier Audio Corda Classic. I know the price difference between these HEADPHONE amplifiers is substantial but would still be interested given how well implemented (IMHO) the Corda Classic's cross feed circuit is.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #1,374 of 1,480
Been away from this thread for a while, but happy to say that even after more than a year of using the HM1 - still very satisfied with it. Can't imagine having a chain without it, especially with tone controls. Right now been using it as a pre-amp into my Mass Kobo 465. Also been playing around with the WA23.

20240101_180957 v3.jpg

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #1,375 of 1,480
Been away from this thread for a while, but happy to say that even after more than a year of using the HM1 - still very satisfied with it. Can't imagine having a chain without it, especially with tone controls. Right now been using it as a pre-amp into my Mass Kobo 465. Also been playing around with the WA23.

20240101_180957 v3.jpg
That is some system you have! 👍

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #1,376 of 1,480
Sharing in the HM1 love, I also have preordered the HM1 through headphones.com. It seems like it is going to be a longer wait for me here since they are estimating “late Summer.”

And @duranxv I’ve got the WA23 coming (out for delivery) today! Looking forward to using that and also eventually using that as a preamp to the HM1.

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #1,377 of 1,480
Sharing in the HM1 love, I also have preordered the HM1 through headphones.com. It seems like it is going to be a longer wait for me here since they are estimating “late Summer.”

And @duranxv I’ve got the WA23 coming (out for delivery) today! Looking forward to using that and also eventually using that as a preamp to the HM1.

Great combo!

Jan 22, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #1,378 of 1,480
I'd be very interested to know if you were ever able to compare the cross feed circuit from the Chord Dave with the Meier Audio Corda Classic. I know the price difference between these HEADPHONE amplifiers is substantial but would still be interested given how well implemented (IMHO) the Corda Classic's cross feed circuit is.
I'd expect the Meier to have a very good implementation of CF, but I've never come across this make at any UK dealer or any of the few shows and meets I've attended.
I've also still not come across an HM1 at any UK dealer anywhere near me.

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #1,379 of 1,480
I'd expect the Meier to have a very good implementation of CF, but I've never come across this make at any UK dealer or any of the few shows and meets I've attended.
I've also still not come across an HM1 at any UK dealer anywhere near me.
FWIW , being used to the soundstage knob on the HM1, i keep it on all the time (1st step), found myself reaching for it even when listening to the He-1 (as dumb as I looked doing it), and could never go back to Dave's CF. The Rossini's Expanse is arguably better, but I still keep it off. The soundstage knob just eliminates the problem of having headphones with narrow soundstage, like closed backs.

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #1,380 of 1,480

How does the HM1 compare with the 465?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back