Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Nov 18, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #1,321 of 1,519
redacted

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #1,323 of 1,519
Thanks! But what about for balanced? What vrms does +3 do for balanced?

Thanks! But what about for balanced? What vrms does +3 do for balanced?
I’ve referenced a wrong post. +3 is the max before digital clipping can happen on the RCA/XLR outputs if no mscaler. +6 if there is. Looking for the chart. I think it’s in the watts up thread. This is from the Stereophile review. It shows +3 as clipping but elsewhere +4 has been stated as the point of clipping. As always, if an Mscaler is involved, 3db loss occurs.

1700305992097.png

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #1,325 of 1,519
Hi all, just received my HM1! Connecting my Dave via balanced with line out...VERY surprised that I have to put the volume knob to max to drive it. (Gain in the back is 0db, not 15db) Because I read from @GoldenOne (Hi Cameron! we met in CanJam LA when I was talking to Andrew and Taron, I'm Henry) doesn't recommend unless voltage is too low...but I think Dave is plenty powerful in line out mode, correct? Because when I put +15db...you were right, I get distortion.

I've heard that HM1 effortlessly drives Susvara. I am finding I reach half volume when driving my Utopia.

I currently own the Holo Bliss KTE...and shocked that it is driving Susvara and Utopia better. (less gain needed on the dial)

HM1 sounds incredible...the most transparent and clear amp...but am I missing something with the gain? What am I missing here?

I expected to drive Susvara at half volume dial...not at near max.

Appreciate any guidance here. Thank you!!!
Gain =/= power

It's a common myth but volume pot position gives absolutely 0 indication of how much power is being used, how much power/headroom is available, and whether you're reaching any limits.

Volume pot simply controls gain/attenuation. You could be at 80% on the pot but not even 10% of the available power in some instances. And having additional gain than what you require just means you're sacrificing dynamic range/have a higher noise floor.

The ideal situation is that you're actually as close as possible to the top of your amp's vol range without needing to go higher. That means your gain structure is well optimised for what you're running. Every dB of extra volume you have but aren't using is otherwise in theory just an extra dB of noise.

Available current/power is separate and nothing to do with the vol control

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #1,326 of 1,519
Gain =/= power

It's a common myth but volume pot position gives absolutely 0 indication of how much power is being used, how much power/headroom is available, and whether you're reaching any limits.

Volume pot simply controls gain/attenuation. You could be at 80% on the pot but not even 10% of the available power in some instances. And having additional gain than what you require just means you're sacrificing dynamic range/have a higher noise floor.

The ideal situation is that you're actually as close as possible to the top of your amp's vol range without needing to go higher. That means your gain structure is well optimised for what you're running. Every dB of extra volume you have but aren't using is otherwise in theory just an extra dB of noise.

Available current/power is separate and nothing to do with the vol control
Thanks Cameron! So with your setup and Susvara, how far does your knob go? And did you ever try HM1 with a Dave/Mscaler?

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #1,327 of 1,519
Thanks Cameron! So with your setup and Susvara, how far does your knob go? And did you ever try HM1 with a Dave/Mscaler?
I'm usually at about 2-3 o clock. I've not tried HM1 with DAVE specifically, but my DAC output is about the same voltage

Nov 21, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #1,331 of 1,519
hi all...I've been on my HM1 a few days now... coming from the Holo Bliss KTE. I am noticing the vocals are a bit more forward on the Bliss. I am leaning toward keeping both amps depending on mood / pairing. Even with the EQ seems it doesn't do what Bliss does. Just wondering if anyone has this experience since many came from Bliss. Are my observations accurate? Are you finding certain things Bliss does that you still like that HM1 can't produce? Appreciate any input :) No doubt, both are incredible amps!!

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #1,332 of 1,519
hi all...I've been on my HM1 a few days now... coming from the Holo Bliss KTE. I am noticing the vocals are a bit more forward on the Bliss. I am leaning toward keeping both amps depending on mood / pairing. Even with the EQ seems it doesn't do what Bliss does. Just wondering if anyone has this experience since many came from Bliss. Are my observations accurate? Are you finding certain things Bliss does that you still like that HM1 can't produce? Appreciate any input :) No doubt, both are incredible amps!!
Haven't heard Bliss myself but ConvincemeAudio stated he prefers the Bliss over HM1 because of the slightly sweet midrange and vocals, and Goldensound stated Bliss is a hair warmer than neutral so that at least collaborates your experiences!

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #1,333 of 1,519
Haven't heard Bliss myself but ConvincemeAudio stated he prefers the Bliss over HM1 because of the slightly sweet midrange and vocals, and Goldensound stated Bliss is a hair warmer than neutral so that at least collaborates your experiences!
Thanks so much!! They are truly something special. I haven't heard anything else that compares. Enleum 23r is amazing in its own way...but it's darker, and adds color. For neutrality and clarity...Bliss and HM1 in my modest experience are top.

Next I am curious...Mass Kobo flagship??? Would love to know the difference there... next level up in price also...

Nov 21, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #1,334 of 1,519
I am also a Bliss user and have recently purchased the HM1.

However, I've observed a situation similar to Bliss, where the HM1 also requires a burn-in period.

Based on my experience with Bliss, after enough burning time, there will be better musicality and performance (also including midrange).

ConvincemeAudio's HM1 is new and has not had enough burn-in time, so I take his comments with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #1,335 of 1,519
I had a Bliss before I got the HM1, I didn't really notice a difference and both were pretty burned in. Maybe a little more bass on the bliss, but the bass adjustment knob more than makes up for that 🤷‍♀️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back