Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Nov 15, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #1,291 of 1,519
That seems like the same reason the HM-1 is expensive.
Agreed, but on a much larger scale. Zahl produces 50+ per year. Mass Kobo is maybe 10. The Zahl was also available to listen and compare with other amps. For me, it sounded the best with the Susvara as compared to the Lina stack ( I was using a dap to drive the Zahl ), the Woo WA33, and also the Hifiman EF1000. So it has a bit more cred for me. The Mass Kobo might also be excellent… time and an audition will tell. For my wallet, I sincerely hope I do not like it!

Nov 15, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #1,292 of 1,519
1700085190966.jpeg

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #1,293 of 1,519
Agreed, but on a much larger scale. Zahl produces 50+ per year. Mass Kobo is maybe 10. The Zahl was also available to listen and compare with other amps. For me, it sounded the best with the Susvara as compared to the Lina stack ( I was using a dap to drive the Zahl ), the Woo WA33, and also the Hifiman EF1000. So it has a bit more cred for me. The Mass Kobo might also be excellent… time and an audition will tell. For my wallet, I sincerely hope I do not like it!
Susvara on the HM1 is 👌🏿. It is funny how our mutual acquaintance sold me the HM1 is the guy who also convinced me to try the Kobo K465 haha especially since that amp fits my space really well.

But outside the Amp side HM1 is fantastic for A/Bing Headphones and Dacs. HM1 is a wonderful tool. What some may not like about the HM1 is has a very linear neutral sound to it. I can't fit an R2R dac in my setup right now but one would liven up the sound a bit. The Holo May Bliss to some will likely sound subjectively more musical and possibly natural at the cost of dynamics, control, some speed, and details. Basically technicalities. I personally prefer HM1 sound over Bliss but I know some that prefer the Bliss for that reason. HM1 does benefit from having an R2R dac paired with it from what I have been told if anybody wants to confirm or deny about this. I don't have one as R2R dacs are typically on the chunky side. I am looking into a Wandla on the Dac side.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #1,294 of 1,519
I listened to both the HM1 and Mass Kobo at the SoCal CanJam. Admittedly, this was under show conditions, and I couldn't A/B them or even listen back to back. They are both the best sounding solid state amps I've laid ears on by a wide margin, though. But the difference between them was so small I could not say which is better sonically. For me, the price difference and extra features of the HM1 made for an easy tie breaker.

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #1,295 of 1,519
I listened to both the HM1 and Mass Kobo at the SoCal CanJam. Admittedly, this was under show conditions, and I couldn't A/B them or even listen back to back. They are both the best sounding solid state amps I've laid ears on by a wide margin, though. But the difference between them was so small I could not say which is better sonically. For me, the price difference and extra features of the HM1 made for an easy tie breaker.
That is good to know! I had another reason to sell it other than Kobo. If I don't grab the Kobo will be grabbing HM1 again for next years batch because of what I was offered (not a discount so don't worry). The offer will allow me not to sell some stuff I don't want to right now just to recoup HM1 cost right away.

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #1,296 of 1,519
But hands down under $10k it is probably my fav amp absolutely. HM1 drives every headphone I have tried to the best or near best I have heard them.

I have only heard the Riviera AIC-10 once and I don't remember too much of what it sounded like specifically. But I remember it being a fantastic amp that was fun. But that is also an amp on the realms of being $15-$17k new.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #1,297 of 1,519
I saw the mass kobo at Singapore can jam. thought it looked retro cool.. didn't know anything about it then and so, didn't try it out.

Anyways, the HM1 was an easy choice for me as it comes in black :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

with my other ss amps I always had some reservations on the sound. hpa4 (ugh..). sa1 was nice warm sounding but felt underpowered. gsx mini was a bit too blunted on both ends for me and also ran super hot. ferrum stack was good but not great.

absolutely no regrets with the HM1. those tone controls are fabulous. great pairing with the Utopia 22, both with and without eq. don't feel i miss tubes with the Utopia.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #1,298 of 1,519
I saw the mass kobo at Singapore can jam. thought it looked retro cool.. didn't know anything about it then and so, didn't try it out.

Anyways, the HM1 was an easy choice for as it comes in black :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

with my other ss amps I always had some reservations on the sound. hpa4 (ugh..). sa1 was nice warm sounding but felt underpowered. gsx mini was a bit too blunted on both ends for me and also ran super hot. ferrum stack was good but not great.

absolutely no regrets with the HM1. those tone controls are fabulous. great pairing with the Utopia 22, both with and without eq. don't feel i miss tubes with the Utopia.
Yeah!

HM1 is a neutral amp that doesn't sound "dead." I also can't stand the HPA4s sound got its sterile almost "dead" sound.

I need to grab an Utopia 22 sometime. My priority for HP is 1266 TC and either or both Expanse/Stealth.

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #1,299 of 1,519
HM1 is a neutral amp that doesn't sound "dead." I also can't stand the HPA4s sound got its sterile almost "dead" sound.

agreed! I enjoy the HM1 a whole lot more than the HPA4. it's a pity as I like Benchmark as a company, and the hpa4 is built well and in a nice form factor. I also had the mass drop thx789 amp and I think even that is better value than the hpa4; both sound dead and sterile to me, but the 789 is way cheaper LOL

Nov 15, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #1,300 of 1,519
I have a few weeks under the belt now with the HM-1 and it continues to impress me. There are so many wonderful features. What impresses me the most is that all the adjustments (bass shelf and treble shelf, as well as the stereo width are all subtle yet clearly noticeable. For some reason, they never sound artificial to my ear.
I never liked the cross feed feature (Chord TT2, SPL Phonitor X), but I really enjoy the stereo width adjustment, which makes it not better or worse in most cases, but different. I often have it at +1.
There was one case though, where it made it clearly better for me. I listen to music a lot while I work. I had started an old recording by Barbara Lynn "You'll lose a good thing" and it had one of those oder stereo effects (Like some Beatles albums) with some instruments only in the left or right channel. I found that quite distracting while working and the stereo adjustment know quickly made it better, with either the 2 to the left or mono setting working well. I have tried a variety of headphones, from more sensitive ones like the Utopia 22 to inefficient ones like the Susvara. The volume control allows just a fine adjustment, that even sensitive headphones can be adjusted exactly to the desired volume. All sounded fantastic. For me, it is a keeper.

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #1,302 of 1,519
1700146617929.jpeg

This tiny amp is great.
Mixed feelings so far after first listening session. I'm missing a little bit of fullness that AIC brings to the music.
Still plenty testing to do obviously.. switch DACs, the class a vs servo, Sus vs Utopia and using tone controls but yeah from yesterday thinking about it there's a sense of weight in AIC that feels a little missing and HM1 doesn't draw you in as much. It has plenty of detail and very good technicalities but it felt a little bit like a tool and not a hifi component that maximizes my enjoyment.
Don't get me wrong though, It's clearly very good, imaging and texture are the first things that stood out to me.
I fully appreciate what he tried to do with it - the size, features, sound signature - all makes sense for an engineer's desktop tool.

For long time owners - any change with burn in? any other thoughts that can help maximize performance? my chain is in my signature (using DHC Prion4S interconnects and a bunch of power cables).

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #1,303 of 1,519
any other thoughts that can help maximize performance?
A rossini and clock?:) No issue with fullness here. Slam
Hits like a truck , timbre is amazing, soundstage is huge and the adjustments can eveb replace the soundstage knob, but at the expense of center image.
I’m not a fan of Rockna even though it’s made in my back yard. HM1 is magical with Stealth. Can’t wait for Expanse to get here. Ruled out everything else at this point

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #1,304 of 1,519
A rossini and clock?:) No issue with fullness here. Slam
Hits like a truck , timbre is amazing, soundstage is huge and the adjustments can eveb replace the soundstage knob, but at the expense of center image.
I’m not a fan of Rockna even though it’s made in my back yard. HM1 is magical with Stealth. Can’t wait for Expanse to get here. Ruled out everything else at this point
I've heard good things about Rossini and I have Vivaldi on my short list for next DAC upgrade.
Wasn't a fan of the Expanse personally when I had it here for audition, not with HM1 obviously.

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #1,305 of 1,519
So I've been having a ton of fun just comparing Woo Audio WA23 Luna and the Zähl HM1 as just amps. I honestly cannot pick a favorite and the more I listen the more I am amazed at how compelling the sound they produce are, and yet how much different they are at achieving this. I've mainly been using the Stealth primarily because it is excellent at depicting what any changes to the system adds or subtracts and these two amps drive it to absolute perfection. I am using HM1 in Class A & Servo mode with Stealth, everything set to default settings. On the WA23, I have updated the tubes from stock and use Takatsuki 2A3 and the 274b rectifier. With the stock tubes the HM1 very slightly edges it out in raw technicalities such as detail/resolution, imaging, and clarity. I still think even with stock tubes the WA23 just comes across as a more organic and natural listen, it has more weight and body to notes, a more corporeal and grounded sound. It is really "musical". The HM1 strikes back with just unequivocal control of the headphones it drives with incredible incisiveness. The below are some of my findings:

The HM1 delivers music with an 8K like resolution in all its glory with tons of nuances very readily apparent that might be barely noticeable in other amps. The WA23 takes the same 8K quality and puts a bit of slow motion in it just so you can enjoy the elegance of what you are hearing. Both produce a very vivid sound. The HM1 being like if you apply the "vivid cool" filter and the WA23 as though you applied "vivid warm". HM1 has very defined and clear boundaries around the instruments. It's an absolute stunner for how sharply defined the sonic images are and it places them with pit point accuracy. It takes on a tastefully surgical approach. The realism here is really top notch. The separation on HM1 is again really top tier and the whole musical landscape is very focused. Amazingly, its midrange has a really beguiling quality. With this level of detail HM1 is producing one might expect the midrange to be a bit grating or harsh, but what you actually hear is a sense of ease and effortlessness about them. This is exactly how I want a neutral amplifier to sound. It is now my standard for that. It's not adding any extra warmth or overly polishing anything, just from what I can tell is a faithful and honest rendition of what's there. Therefore, assessing this amp is going to be super reflective of the source gear. Be very mindful of that when you hear of HM1 impressions. It is certainly more transparent than the WA23 in that sense.

WA23 seems like it doesn't need to rely on sharply defined edges to make for realism or convincing sonic images. Instead it achieves this via adding body or weight to the instrument, and coloring inside the boundaries of the instrument with the correct highly saturated timbre, the effect of which is a retina like sound. Recall the advent of "Retina display", the whole idea was that the display had enough pixel density that the human eye was unable to discern individual pixels at a typical viewing distance. The same thing is happening here, but in the audio realm. You know with greater certainty than normal that a piano, or a guitar is playing in front of you. This is relative, but HM1 comes across in comparison like an artist that uses 4B pencil to draw the boundaries of an image and shades it with 2B. The WA23 doesn't even draw the boundaries. Instead it shades the entire structure in 4B and the edges are noticed as a naturally biological byproduct.. It's really cool and I think this makes it sound more natural, it has such an organic and refined approach that I haven't quite experienced elsewhere. This is something that is there in stock format, but more so amplified with the Takatsuki tubes. I go back on forth on which amp I think is more detailed.

Another excellent trait of the HM1 is its unrelenting and unapologetic approach to conveying the energy and impact in the music. You know how a heat map uses a range of colors to visually represent the temperature distribution across a surface, indicating which areas are hot, warm, or cool. Well HM1 is like an Energy map, conveying the low and especially highly impactful areas throughout the sound landscape.. You will notice more than usual the dynamic shifts and impact in the music. One of the amazing things the Grimm MU1 and Tambaqui combo brought to the table was the same retina like sound I described above. Thus, I found myself less analyzing and more so switched focus to the interplay between instruments, that is, trying to get the musical intent. HM1 adds another layer to this with the sheer energy it can impart. Not gonna lie, this can at times be a bit much, but is also true if you go to a live event. HM1 better captures this energy. Interestingly, the WA23 is very much up there with the HM1 on conveying energy, dynamics and impact, it just takes the edge off a little bit because of what I regard as a more natural decay, but the added substantial weight it provides to notes is equally impressive.

The bass on HM1 and WA23 is just insane. Quantity and quality wise they are pretty much on par. With HM1, you get absolute accuracy, definition, detail, and impact in the bass lines. With the WA23, it has more bass weight, is just as agile, and I think the sub-bass is even more forthcoming than the HM1 😮. The word I keep coming back to on WA23 is organic. Even the bass is organic where as HM1 sounds more analytical in comparison.

Finally, the clarity on both these amps is superb, but is of a different nature. I can only regard HM1 as having an active clarity and the WA23 as having a relaxed clarity. By active clarity for HM1, I mean that with its more enhanced treble, dynamic energy impact, and sharper delineation of sonic images, it creates a sense of clarity that feels like a byproduct. It's as if the clarity is an intentional effect, born from its vibrant and precise sound profile. It activates the natural clarity from the headphone. In contrast, the WA23 offers a different kind of clarity, that as I mentioned can only describe as relaxed. I think this is where some might say it has a blacker background. I think this initial impression video is attempting to get to what I think am hearing:

WA23 doesn't have the same sharpness as the HM1 (do not read this as HM1 is sharp), but it is equally compelling, thanks to its rich, 'retina-like' coloration of sounds and the weight it lends to instruments. The backdrop against which these sounds emerge is more at ease and silent, creating a sense of spaciousness and tranquility that allows the music to unfold in a more natural, unforced manner. The notes also naturally start and decay into this abyss. Music breathes a little more on WA23. Notes don't linger as much on the HM1. This is very readily noticeable using the Stealth where I have called the AMTS as a blackhole sucking it out the typical nasty high frequency peaks. The headphone just sounds super clean and highlights this difference between the two amps very well.

What's really interesting is that for some reason I keep noting or thinking that WA23 is keeping up with the HM1, but really HM1 is the under dog here. WA23 is actually more expensive than the HM1 especially with additional tube upgrades. HM1 is not inexpensive, but it is, and this might sound weird, a decent value proposition, compared to the caliber of amps that it is in leagues with, but especially for the versatility it brings to the table. It is ultimately the best solid state amp I have come across. I am very partial to the WA23 because of the unparalleled refinement and polish it brings to the music without giving up any raw technicalities. Super chuffed to have both.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back