Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Dec 15, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #241 of 1,519
Just wanted to give a heads up to those that were interested in North America, our 2023 batch is about 80% sold out at this point.

We are expecting to have to increase the price in January on the HM1, we don't know exactly where the final MSRP will land. Anyone that already has pre-orders with us that have paid in full before the price hike will have the old price honoured.

We've reached out to Michael to see if we can get more units for 2023 but as it stands right now, that batch is almost sold through.

Current expected ETA is late April, early May.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Dec 15, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #242 of 1,519
Just wanted to give a heads up to those that were interested in North America, our 2023 batch is about 80% sold out at this point.

We are expecting to have to increase the price in January on the HM1, we don't know exactly where the final MSRP will land. Anyone that already has pre-orders with us that have paid in full before the price hike will have the old price honoured.

We've reached out to Michael to see if we can get more units for 2023 but as it stands right now, that batch is almost sold through.

just what I needed in life...one more deadline

Dec 15, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #243 of 1,519
If this sells well I hope Mr.Zahl considers a version without all the music production related features. A purer versión just for music listeners. That at around half the price and I’d consider it…

I don’t need analogue EQ when I can use a parametric EQ with great precision.

The price of two TOTL headphones is too much to swallow (or a pair of Genelec 8351s!)

Dec 15, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #244 of 1,519
If this sells well I hope Mr.Zahl considers a version without all the music production related features. A purer versión just for music listeners. That at around half the price and I’d consider it…

The price of two TOTL headphones is too much to swallow (or a pair of Genelec 8351s!)

I seriously doubt it would be even close to half the price even without the added features tbh

Dec 15, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #245 of 1,519

This doesn't cost what it does because of the analog EQ or the crossfeed features. I mean sure, you cover the R&D expesnes of coming up with the amp through sales but it's probably more because of the alternative cost of what he could be doing at that time (build his professional equipment) and the small quantities this is offered that dictate pricing.

Dec 15, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #246 of 1,519
Its always easier to go big and then scale down. Michael I forget if it was our Munich interview or another interview where he said he always wanted to make a Class A amp into one of his mixing consoles but that would probably be able to fry an egg since it would get so hot.

Zahl is a small operation and team currently plus has his console mixing business he is balancing with making the HM1! I love the HM1 myself but even a scaled downed/cheaper version I think would probably still have that same great sound of the HM1. Plus it would probably be easier on my wallet or even a rackmount version would be awesome-sauce for me. One can always hope!

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 15, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #247 of 1,519
I think Analogue EQ and crossfeed is what separates this unit from others and if it just headphone amp then why not take something available today Like Holo Bliss, Enleum amp etc....

Dec 15, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #248 of 1,519
I think Analogue EQ and crossfeed is what separates this unit from others and if it just headphone amp then why not take something available today Like Holo Bliss, Enleum amp etc....
I haven't heard the HM1 (yet) but owned the Enleum and from reading about the Zahl they definitely don't go for the same sound. One might also prefer having the preamp and balanced connections over the single ended and speakers option with the Enleum.
Don't know enough about the Bliss to say what it sounds like. The only one I know with actual listening time was @GoldenOne and he said it's close on sound quality but the HM1 beats the Holo for Susvara. What that means is probably subjective and ymmv

Dec 15, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #249 of 1,519
I honestly don't think Enleum holds a candle here unless you want a warmer and less wide sound. It is more colorful, but resolution and technicalities are not close.

I'm a bit skeptical that removing features would halve the price. Although the component costs will surely be lower, this actually sounds like an expensive amp, going to toe with those over 10k. If Zaehl is building them himself without any economy of scale, its hard for me to envision him pricing it so low relative to the rest of the market.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #250 of 1,519

This post upset some people and it's being talked about in some other places so I figured I should add some additional context.

This post isn't meant as a way to drive sales. The HM1 has no issues selling. I've gotten emails and DMs from various people on Head-Fi, our forum, etc.. for progress updates on the HM1 along with people who regretted not getting in on the 2022 batch. This is the easiest way to keep people updated as once the batch is sold through, there's bound to be complaints about not having a chance to buy.

As a business, it is against our best interest to give people a head's up that a price increase is happening on a product that has no issues selling. But both Andrew and I care deeply about the community and we try to give back to the community as much as we can.

European prices have already gone up 1,000 Euros. We have not been told what the North American MSRP is going to be yet, only that a price increase is coming as I announced on our own forum on November 21st.

1671152348429.png

I didn't want to have to write this post because I didn't think that being transparent about remaining inventory for those that were interested along with potentially saving $1,000+ for those that are looking to grab one would be twisted into a bad thing.

Also, for the remainder of people waiting for the 2022 shipment, we just got word from Michael that those units are going through German Customs Clearance tomorrow and should be shipped to us on Monday! As its a smaller shipment, I would expect customs clearance to be a smoother process than the last one and everything should get turned around much quicker!

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #251 of 1,519
This post upset some people and it's being talked about in some other places so I figured I should add some additional context.

This post isn't meant as a way to drive sales. The HM1 has no issues selling. I've gotten emails and DMs from various people on Head-Fi, our forum, etc.. for progress updates on the HM1 along with people who regretted not getting in on the 2022 batch. This is the easiest way to keep people updated as once the batch is sold through, there's bound to be complaints about not having a chance to buy.

As a business, it is against our best interest to give people a head's up that a price increase is happening on a product that has no issues selling. But both Andrew and I care deeply about the community and we try to give back to the community as much as we can.

European prices have already gone up 1,000 Euros. We have not been told what the North American MSRP is going to be yet, only that a price increase is coming as I announced on our own forum on November 21st.

1671152348429.png

I didn't want to have to write this post because I didn't think that being transparent about remaining inventory for those that were interested along with potentially saving $1,000+ for those that are looking to grab one would be twisted into a bad thing.

Also, for the remainder of people waiting for the 2022 shipment, we just got word from Michael that those units are going through German Customs Clearance tomorrow and should be shipped to us on Monday! As its a smaller shipment, I would expect customs clearance to be a smoother process than the last one and everything should get turned around much quicker!
What is driving the price increase?

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #253 of 1,519
What is driving the price increase?
Inflation, the war in Europe, worldwide parts shortages. The HM1 isn't the only thing to get a price increase. Chord increased their prices this year, Feliks Audio increased their prices, etc... Prices have also gone up from companies like iFi Audio where the Zen CAN price was originally $169, now it's $199. Original Zen DAC was $129, Zen DAC V2 is $199. Naim Uniti Atom went from $3299 to $3799. Just some examples to name a few.

Michael is building the amps by hand in extremely small quantities so he's not ordering parts in bulk which is costly. And as those costs go up on parts, so do his costs.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #254 of 1,519
Dec 15, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #255 of 1,519
Inflation, the war in Europe, worldwide parts shortages. The HM1 isn't the only thing to get a price increase. Chord increased their prices this year, Feliks Audio increased their prices, etc... Prices have also gone up from companies like iFi Audio where the Zen CAN price was originally $169, now it's $199. Original Zen DAC was $129, Zen DAC V2 is $199. Naim Uniti Atom went from $3299 to $3799. Just some examples to name a few.

Michael is building the amps by hand in extremely small quantities so he's not ordering parts in bulk which is costly. And as those costs go up on parts, so do his costs.

Genuine, unavoidable, increases are understandable, but an additional £1000 on top of what is already an expensive basic price will sadly put it beyond what I can justify.

Such is life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back