Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Dec 14, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #226 of 1,519
Is this thread now about reviewers and who they are?
Or about the HM1 amplifier?

(I'm glad I don't have to do reviews for any sites..... I'd rather be independent of the manufacturers behind the scenes 😎 )

And let's be honest...you don't buy an amp for 8000 euros just because of what others say?
These reviews ultimately serve only to whether you consider this part for yourself and it ultimately listens to it yourself before,
but certainly not to buy it blindly without having heard first
Or do you think I just bought my HE1 for fun without having tested and listened to it myself?

Therefore, my advice....when it comes to large amounts always make sure yourself with his own ears 👍
And yes the HM1 is not a device in large numbers...therefore it is not easy to get this to hear...but who is really ready to spend 8000 euros will also make
the effort to take a perhaps somewhat longer way to listen to him

Is not different as with the marble stone

NOMAX

Ps.lol 🤪

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #229 of 1,519
Dec 14, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #230 of 1,519
One thing I have noticed over the past two decades....a product that polarizes and which is different from the others has always a good chance of success

And my final and last words in this thread.....the HM1 is different in its own special way 👍

82341039-09BC-41A8-B090-974857C09E06.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #231 of 1,519
if someone is employed by a company who is retailer of the product in question then the review can't be independent. But I am not sure if he is employed with headphones.com or not as I only see him in their YouTube review videos and his reviews are also posted in their forum. If he is employed and even though he has bought the amp with his own money he has to make a disclosure as this is conflict of interest.
In my view, whether GoldenOne discloses if he got a discount on the amp, or is employed by the retailer might perhaps be necessary, and is preferred from a transparency standpoint, but not sufficient to discount his claims on the amplifier. Disclosing that someone has ulterior motives for making an argument or claim does not counter the argument itself. Additionally, he is providing both his objective and subjective take on the device and has raved about the product well before I can tell of any strong affiliations to headphones.com. Even though I don't always agree with his take on things, he is one of the few guys that at least provides a balanced and reasoned approach to his reviews. Having heard the HM1 on few occasions, I am not surprised anyone would be this enamored with it.

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #232 of 1,519
nah..its not "Fear" but "Flavor" that changes every season
Well you have to pick your poison at one point. Buying without hearing it is not ideal, but once you've been in the hobby for a while it gets easier to navigate people's biases and tastes.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #233 of 1,519
One thing I have noticed over the past two decades....a product that polarizes and which is different from the others has always a good chance of success

And my final and last words in this thread.....the HM1 is different in its own special way 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol
Those are very unique and very useful features to have on an amp. I wish more amps included them, but they have to be implemented correctly. Sounds like Zahl has.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #234 of 1,519

NOMAX

PS.lol
It's not even polarizing yet, everyone loves it. Except the price.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #235 of 1,519

And the price seems like only going to increase in the future. I found out today that the German distributor where I ordered my unit in May for 7999€, now offers it for 8895€. HP.com also mentioned an upcoming price hike in January.

Luckily my unit is finally ready for shipment and should arrive some time next week. The wait time feels like an eternity now and I'm beyond excited to finally hear it myself.

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #236 of 1,519
It's not the price...I guess the limited availability.

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #238 of 1,519
It's not the price...I guess the limited availability.
It wasn't that bad up till recently. I expect it to get much worse after the initial reviews. Depending on how much worse, it might get better though. Michael might change his mind about making it commercially available. Otherwise, I don't blame him for not putting all his time into building HM1's.

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #239 of 1,519
Hadn't responded to this as I'd not actually been tagged so hadn't seen it.

I did not receive 50% off, I received a small industry insider discount that still puts it very close to MSRP. It’s a hand-made, boutique product made by one guy and because of that, there isn’t much wiggle room on pricing.

I heard the HM1 in person at Munich high end earlier this year and was immensely impressed. I placed my order shortly after and sold quite a bit of gear to help fund it.

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #240 of 1,519
Hadn't responded to this as I'd not actually been tagged so hadn't seen it.

I did not receive 50% off, I received a small industry insider discount that still puts it very close to MSRP. It’s a hand-made, boutique product made by one guy and because of that, there isn’t much wiggle room on pricing.

I heard the HM1 in person at Munich high end earlier this year and was immensely impressed. I placed my order shortly after and sold quite a bit of gear to help fund it.

Thanks for clearing that up. The 50% off number was just an example from the past.

Apologies if it was misunderstood.

Look forward to your full review and impressions with other headphones 🙂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back