Yulong's new DA8
Jun 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #347 of 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? I don't get it. Too early maybe. 

When we will read the review? 
L3000.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #348 of 544
One question that occurs to me is which would sound better, getting a DA8 or a D18 along with a high end USB to SPDIF converter if the goal is simply to go from a Mac Mini to the converter for use in a speaker system only; no headphones. The overall price would be similar.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Very good question jumpsturdy. I would also like the answer to this question.

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #349 of 544
I'd like to see listening comparison too.

But from Yulong company's statements:
last post in page:
http://erji.net/read.php?tid=1450134&fpage=1&toread=&page=2

translation:
1) DA8's DAC's technical spec compared to D18 is better, but only by a small margin.   Spec difference is small
2) But the sound tuning is different.  DA8's lows is more detailed. highs is smoother and more airy.
3) USB section of DA8 is very powerful.    (my understanding is that it can beat most 'high end usb to spdif/aes converters'.)

Quote:
One question that occurs to me is which would sound better, getting a DA8 or a D18 along with a high end USB to SPDIF converter if the goal is simply to go from a Mac Mini to the converter for use in a speaker system only; no headphones. The overall price would be similar.

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #350 of 544
I had read the comments from Yulong regarding the differences between the DA8 and the D18 but also considered that the use of a Legatto II or AP converter along with a D18 might create a bigger delta than the change from a D18 to its bigger brother. In either case there would also be a change overall "sound" or tuning. This occurred to me as I only really want to use it with USB from my Mac mini and primarily with my redbook CD rips that are on my computer.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #351 of 544
Just ordered one. I had to pay for a three month extra warranty which I didn't want and insurance. I have a high end DAC, the Lindemann 825 so I am buying it for the DSD capabilities. This will let me dip my toes into the DSD waters and I can sell it perhaps in the future if I purchase a more expensive unit with DSD. It will be interesting to compare it to the Lindemann on non DSD music.

Also don't forget that Blue Coast is having some deals on downloads which I believe ends on Sunday.
smile.gif

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #355 of 544
Quote:
Is there a big difference between the DA8 and the Teac UD-501?

Sorry, I have yet to hear that one. Maybe someone else can comment once DA8 becomes more common among more users?

Quote:
When we will read the review? 
L3000.gif

Working on it now but it's slow going. Going to be another few weeks at least. Sorry!

Quote:

Yes, that is a good question. I've got the Audiophilleo AP1 with PurePower going to the D18, compared to the DA8 from a stock laptop. Perhaps I should remove the PurePower and use the AP1, which could represent the same sound as the more affordable AP2. Then we'd have a good comparison as both should cost roughly the same price. 

Either way, I think the tuning difference is a bigger contributor to the sound. I do hear the more textured lows from the DA8, with bigger impact from the D18 setup. And the D18, despite being remarkably smooth sounding, doesn't do the top end as well as the DA8. It's very "analog" sounding but comes across as a bit recessed or dark in comparison. This tends to sound inferior to the DA8 but not always - a bright system could benefit from it. 

Quote:
Just ordered one. I had to pay for a three month extra warranty which I didn't want and insurance. I have a high end DAC, the Lindemann 825 so I am buying it for the DSD capabilities. This will let me dip my toes into the DSD waters and I can sell it perhaps in the future if I purchase a more expensive unit with DSD. It will be interesting to compare it to the Lindemann on non DSD music.

Also don't forget that Blue Coast is having some deals on downloads which I believe ends on Sunday.
smile.gif

Why did you need the extra insurance? I'll be curious to hear your thoughts in relation to the Lindemann, even though I've never heard that model. 

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #357 of 544
Quote:
Non fuit in solo Roma peracta die 
wink_face.gif

(Rome was not built in one day...)

True, and the guys working on it probably didn't have a dozen other cities sitting there waiting to be built. OK, bad analogy... but I bet they didn't have as much fun building as I have listening!

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #358 of 544
I hate to do this, but is there any more word on differences b/w the DA8 and the X-Sabre, especially paired with the HD800? The tamaudio coupon is going to expire soon so it's been bumped up to a time-sensitive matter :rolleyes:

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #359 of 544
could anyone tell me if the usb chipset on the da8 can power the usb cable? this would allow full use of the SoTM usb card...

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #360 of 544
Quote:
I hate to do this, but is there any more word on differences b/w the DA8 and the X-Sabre, especially paired with the HD800? The tamaudio coupon is going to expire soon so it's been bumped up to a time-sensitive matter
rolleyes.gif

So, here's the deal - both are really good. Exceptionally good. Good enough where your amp becomes the more likely bottleneck unless you've got a super-duper nice amp. Seriously - X-Sabre and DA8 are both very very good. 

That said, I'm having a heck of a time comparing the two. I went back and forth between the Anedio D2, the DA8, and the X-Sabre, and I seem to have concluded the Anedio was better than the X-Sabre which was better than the DA8 which was better than the Anedio which was better than the X-Sabre.... you get the idea. Makes no sense right? This is all with my Stax rig and it may not apply to other situations, but there it is. 

I'd say that the DA8 is more similar than different compared to the X-Sabre. Both have what I'd call a slightly laid back sound, at least in comparison to the Anedio. Maybe the DA8 is midway between the Anedio and the X-Sabre in terms of detail levels. 

I know, not a great answer, I'm still figuring it out. The DA8 does work well as a preamp and the integrated headphone section is very respectable. So if those could be of use, the DA8 has the edge over the X-Sabre, because there's no way you get a headphone amp that good for the $200 price difference between them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back