Yulong's new DA8
Jul 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #376 of 544
Quote:
An USB cable with pins 1 & 4 covered by tape, then: it works or it doesn't.

confused.gif
 does it work without the mass too? I know USB is balanced digital but you still need a reference at some point 
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #377 of 544
Quote:
ok thanks i appreciate it. looking forward to your answer. i purchased the da8 not long ago and am waiting for its arrival! i also have rachel from GF asking yulong what volume setting it takes to get the XLR down to 2 and 2.5v respectively so i'll let you all know soon as i receive an answer.

Yulong's official answer on how to set XLR output level to 2-2.5V: 

Full volume as 10, counter clockwise - minus 65% = 2V, minus 45% = 2.5V. 

Hope this helps. 
Rachel @ Grant Fidelity 

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #378 of 544
Quote:
Yulong's official answer on how to set XLR output level to 2-2.5V: 

Full volume as 10, counter clockwise - minus 65% = 2V, minus 45% = 2.5V. 

Hope this helps. 
Rachel @ Grant Fidelity 

thank you :)

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #379 of 544
Quote:
confused.gif
 does it work without the mass too? I know USB is balanced digital but you still need a reference at some point 
biggrin.gif

You have only to try. You can cover the pins one at a time. 
First pin #1: dosen't works? Remove the tape.
Works? Cover pin #4
Dosen't works? Remove the tape on pin #4 and leave the tape on pin #1
http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #383 of 544
Quote:
I found some time yesterday and switched off USB power on my SOtM card. DA8 kept on playing like nothing had happened. So it's confirmed - in this implementation, the Amanero card doesn't draw power from USB. Nice. 

Awesome, glad to hear that. I think i'll try blocking the pins with tape before buying the sotm card...great idea by the way. I have a demo AudioQuest Diamond USB in house that im itching to try with the DA8 when it arrives 
size]

Jul 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #385 of 544
Received DA8 today and i already notice an improvement in bass quality and quantity compared to D18 with the HE-6. Going back to listening now...
size]

Jul 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #386 of 544
I tried the Elijah cable with an iFi iUSB power supply/V-Link 192 but it didn't work. Michael graciously refunded me without any hassles.

I then waited upon the iFi Gemini "Y" cable forever but ended up selling my unit before it became available. Kingrex also sell one but it's quite expensive. Not worth it IMO.

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #387 of 544
Quote:
Received DA8 today and i already notice an improvement in bass quality and quantity compared to D18 with the HE-6. Going back to listening now...
size]

If I am not wrong, You have also tried the TEAC UD-501, right?

How would you compare the DA8 against the TEAC? Which is the best all-rounder? The more detailed sounding?

Thanks for your help.

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #388 of 544
Quote:

If I am not wrong, You have also tried the TEAC UD-501, right?

How would you compare the DA8 against the TEAC? Which is the best all-rounder? The more detailed sounding?

Thanks for your help.

IMO, the D18 bested the Teac, but not by much, so i returned it some time ago, just never updated my avatar 
size]

Between those two at the time, the teac turned out to be a bit shouty and slightly thin. Given all the extra goodies the Teac comes with, its a definite bargain compared to D18. The D18 is the best all-rounder, and more detailed sounding. The DA8, based upon my initial impressions, is a whole step above the D18 and worth every penny given the excellent head amp, pre-amp, DSD, powerful USB, and front panel options.

Hope that helps :)

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #390 of 544

Users who are viewing this thread

Back