Yulong's new DA8
May 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #106 of 544
Quote:
Yulong/Matrix stuff can be bought in ger/fra, so this issue is covered. I will need to ask Analog Design if they could split payments for me (for Svetlana 2), I would prefer not paying 22% from $1499 to our customs.
Btw, you got good memory, indeed it was me with W1000X+NFB12+Sunrise :) I own W3000ANV for a year already but I am keeping it in box because I just don't have heart to plug them into that poor system. I currently don't really listen to music on home rig since I am in process of selling my current chain to finance all my upgrades (for now I am selling Sunrise and W1000X, I may keep NFB12 as an emergency backup). I have some money on my account, some are on the way but I still need that extra cash from selling what I currently have on my desk, and that's not an easy task where I live.

I made that request when I ordered the Svetlana 2. But they just declared the official value so that was a bummer when I had to pay custom tax. You could always try though. Sometimes the seller can have good reasons to just declare the invoice value the official way. I can understand your situation. There is lots of nice gear out there, but Europe is basically high tax burden continent for imports. 

Maybe if you know a good friend who has a business, you could try buying that equipment through the business account, as they often can request tax refunds. Though this is a gray area.

May 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #107 of 544
Just noticed the new entry about the D8 on Yulong's website. Very interesting to hear opinions on how it compares to the D18, and of how competent its built-in amplifier is; at least according to the spec info it's not too bad, it's sort of reminiscent of the A18, and even the D8 has dodgy output power @ 600ohms.

I'm still considering buying the D18 to replace my D100, but that is solely for its warm signature and expansive soundstage.

May 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #108 of 544
Quote:
Just noticed the new entry about the D8 on Yulong's website. Very interesting to hear opinions on how it compares to the D18, and of how competent its built-in amplifier is; at least according to the spec info it's not too bad, it's sort of reminiscent of the A18, and even the D8 has dodgy output power @ 600ohms.

I'm still considering buying the D18 to replace my D100, but that is solely for its warm signature and expansive soundstage.

If the built-in amp is as described, landing somewhere between the A100 and A18 amps, then it should be very good indeed. I like the A100 and am disappointed it hasn't received more exposure around here. 

May 16, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #110 of 544
A quick update for those who have pre-ordered the Yulong DA8: 

First batch production has completed at factory. Yulong will do burn-in for 3-4 days for the first batch then shipping starts from factory. We expect to receive the stock in our warehouse in Asia on or about May 22nd then all pre-orders will be shipped at the same time. 

Thank you for everyone's interest in the Yulong DA8. 

Best, 
Rachel @ Grant Fidelity 

May 19, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #114 of 544
The first batch of DA8 are already in the hands of headfiers in China, initial comments are that it's a big step up from the D18.

I haven't got mine yet.

May 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #115 of 544
Quote:
The first batch of DA8 are already in the hands of headfiers in China, initial comments are that it's a big step up from the D18.

I haven't got mine yet.

Have any of the initial reports said anything about whether it retains the same character as the D18, being laid back? Or has it been tuned up to be more neutral and energetic?

May 20, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #116 of 544
Quote:
Have any of the initial reports said anything about whether it retains the same character as the D18, being laid back? Or has it been tuned up to be more neutral and energetic?

Someone said that by deactivating the de-jittering function, the sound will be more neutral, making DA8 more revealing and thus bad recording will be less enjoyable, but high quality recordings will sound even better.

Another has mentioned that when comparing the DAC202 with the DA8, he considered the 202 has a bit too much treble to his liking, whereas the DA8 is just right. However, take note that audiophiles in China typically prefers sound signature which is slightly warm/musical, so too much treble for them may be just right for others.

Personally I expect the Yulong house sound signature will be retained, but the presence of the de-jitting button as well as the different filter selections will allow the DA8 to suit the taste of a wider population.

May 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #119 of 544
Quote:
Sounds killer.   Watch out. 

I have just received my DA8 today. My first impression to this gear is that: It's really a killer! It is significantly better than any DAC that I am owning.

I used the built-in amp to drive my Sony SA5000. The DAC offers quite different sonic signiture at different filter modes.

For PCM signal input, there are two options for the filter, "Slow" and "Sharp".

The "Slow" mode offers warm and smooth feeling. I can't hear any hissy sound at the high region.

The "Sharp" mode is more aggressive but the sound is still warm. The sound is more dynamic with greater extend at both high and low.     

For DSD signal input, the filter options are different. The options become "50kHz", "60kHz" and "70kHz".

I feel the sound becomes more open when choosig a higher frequency filter.

Regarding the jitter eliminator function, the effect of this function is quite similar to that of using a resampler in foobar2000.
When the jitter eliminator is on, the sound is refined. The treble is slightly emphasized and pushed forward.
When the jitter elimator is off, the sound is more netural.

Although the manufacturer said the DAC was run-in for 3-5 days before shipping, I'm not sure whether the performance of the DAC will change significantly after a period of run-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back