Yulong's new DA8
Jun 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #302 of 544
So my interpretation is that they are tonally different but equally good? Depending on whether you like a more detailed sound stage or more musical/ smooth ss we should pick based on that? Is there anything that a $4K dac brings to the table that these 1k - 1500K Dacs cant do? 

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #303 of 544
Preliminary conclusions say yes, the DA8 may be in the same league as the Anedio, but with a different flavor. But I initially thought the X-Sabre would be as well, and after careful back and forth I concluded the still Anedio had the edge. So we'll see what happens.

As for comparisons to more expensive DACs - I'd say the "average" $4k DAC is not any better at all compared to most of these really good $1k-1.5K units. The "average" $4k DAC could actually be worse - I've heard it happen. But a really good $4k DAC - specifically the Resonessence Labs Invicta - transcends the rest of these by a good margin. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #304 of 544
Very interesting Project, thank you!! Looking forward to more of your impressions!!

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #305 of 544
So the new reference is the Invicta, whereas previous it was the Anedio. It was nice to think that the Anedio trumped all for a while though. What is it that the Invicta gives that a $1500 DAC cannot. Just trying to pick your brain to see if there really is merit in spending 4K plus on a DAC alone.

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #306 of 544
Quote:
So the new reference is the Invicta, whereas previous it was the Anedio. It was nice to think that the Anedio trumped all for a while though. What is it that the Invicta gives that a $1500 DAC cannot. Just trying to pick your brain to see if there really is merit in spending 4K plus on a DAC alone.

Yes, the original Invicta I reviewed (which was an early engineering prototype) was just a bit better than the original Anedio D1. Then came the Anedio D2 which was a big enough improvement over the original that it would also be superior to the Invicta.

Since then, Resonessence Labs has made some fairly major upgrades to the Invicta - some hardware (remember my demo model was not the final product) as well as software. These software upgrades are more in-depth than a typical firmware update - Resonessence Labs engineered the entire SD Card player and decoding engine, rather than using off the shelf stuff. So the differences made were rather substantial, and enough to bring it to a whole new level. Not to take anything away from the Anedio D2 which is amazingly good!

Ultimately the differences, to my ears, are related to spacial realism, tiny microdetails, and overall "flow" of the presentation. It's the kind of thing that you can sometimes notice during A/B comparisons, but more often lends itself better to long term listening where you just get a better impression of "life". It's more of a feeling - a level of being convinced that you're hearing the live performance versus a really good reproduction - as opposed to a simple "better bass, cleaner mids" type of comparison. 

Again, it doesn't take anything away from great (semi) affordable DACs like the Anedio or DA8 or X-Sabre. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #308 of 544
Have you had a chance to compare the DA8 or Invicta to the Metrum Hex or Auralic Vega?

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #309 of 544
Never heard the Hex, but I'd say DA8 is more to my liking than the original Metrum DAC was. The Vega is very good though, maybe more detail oriented than DA8 but still quite musically satisfying. But I haven't compared them directly. I did compare the Invicta to the Vega and liked the Invicta more, though the Vega was my next favorite (over the Esoteric D-07x and Calyx Femto). So it's a good DAC that I'd have no problem recommending.

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #310 of 544
such a tease project86, lol. cant wait to hear comparisons against the x-sabre

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #311 of 544
Quote:
Hi Ruben, have you had a chance to compare the usb input with the OR5?? 

Also Grant Fid are excellent to deal with whether it's a warranty or a purchase. They will look after you mate, just follow their instructions. 

Hi Ryan , actually thought I would have some time today but was swamped at work.. I'll let you know when I do.
No comment :)

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #312 of 544
Thanks Ruben.

Mmmmm Auralic Vega yummy. Thats definitely on my wish list.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #313 of 544
Quote:
such a tease project86, lol. cant wait to hear comparisons against the x-sabre

+1 
popcorn.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #314 of 544
Quote:
Never heard the Hex, but I'd say DA8 is more to my liking than the original Metrum DAC was. The Vega is very good though, maybe more detail oriented than DA8 but still quite musically satisfying. But I haven't compared them directly. I did compare the Invicta to the Vega and liked the Invicta more, though the Vega was my next favorite (over the Esoteric D-07x and Calyx Femto). So it's a good DAC that I'd have no problem recommending.

So I guess it's safe to conclude that if the DA8 can run with that crowd it's a steal at $1300. However when I compare the innerds and topology of the opamped DA8 vs those of the Vega  I can understand why those who can afford the latter would be tempted. The Hex with its Lundahl output transformers also looks the part. But in the end it's the sound that matters most.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #315 of 544

Users who are viewing this thread

Back