Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
May 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #902 of 1,064
Quote:
Is there a difference in sound quality between the D18 with a blue power LED and the D18 with a green power LED?

The blue one sounds more sad.... the other sounds like it has less experience. 

See what I did there?

Seriously though, it's the same unit with a different LED which may or may not be random. No difference other than the color. 

May 21, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #905 of 1,064
Quote:projecthumour
The blue one sounds more sad.... the other sounds like it has less experience.

And I thought I had the monopoly on great puns.

Good work, keep it up. Your DACs that is.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #910 of 1,064
I plan on using Music Fidelity vlink 192 and its AES connection to the D18's AES connection. Does anyone know how well the vlink192 performs with the balanced connection to the es9018 in terms of jitter speeds and output voltage? I cant seem to find those numbers..

Also worth mentioning is that the coaxial input is only at 50ohms while most seem to offer it at 75ohms (correct me if Im wrong) and 75ohm is recommended with digital music. Using the AES/EBU xlr interconnect cable, you get 110ohms.

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #911 of 1,064
Quote:
I plan on using Music Fidelity vlink 192 and its AES connection to the D18's AES connection. Does anyone know how well the vlink192 performs with the balanced connection to the es9018 in terms of jitter speeds and output voltage? I cant seem to find those numbers..

Also worth mentioning is that the coaxial input is only at 50ohms while most seem to offer it at 75ohms (correct me if Im wrong) and 75ohm is recommended with digital music. Using the AES/EBU xlr interconnect cable, you get 110ohms.

Sorry, never used that one before. I imagine the AES/EBU connection should be similar to the others with regards to jitter performance. Not sure what you mean regarding output voltage though.

To clarify, it's the Vlink 192 that has a 50 ohm output impedance on the coaxial output. Which is a problem in theory but probably not in practice. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #912 of 1,064
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, never used that one before. I imagine the AES/EBU connection should be similar to the others with regards to jitter performance. Not sure what you mean regarding output voltage though.

To clarify, it's the Vlink 192 that has a 50 ohm output impedance on the coaxial output. Which is a problem in theory but probably not in practice. 

Apologies for sounding like a newbie. Im trying to understand the complex and mysterious world of USB audio. 

Maybe project86 or others that are well knowledged with usb/spdif converters can elaborate on the AES/EBU connectivity (not really related to my last post). Is there a reason people arent using AES/EBU over other connects on a typical to a higher-end converter? Do the Sabre ESS9018 chip have a problem with AES/EBU?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back