Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Jan 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #721 of 1,064
Thanks Project86. I hope you don't mind that I linked you're stellar review. :wink:

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #723 of 1,064
I linked it in my for-sale post below my description.

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #725 of 1,064
Hehe, no worries.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #726 of 1,064
Quote:
Thanks Project86. I hope you don't mind that I linked you're stellar review. :wink:

Oh ****................................... 

I want it. And can afford it after the 26th. But I actually need and amp first :/ 

AH #$%(*&^%$#$%^&*()*&^%$#@

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #727 of 1,064
It actually sold last night after being on the for sale forums for only a couple of days - sorry. I'll definitely miss this DAC and the rest of my full-size setup. I hope my upcoming portable setup will be as satisfying as I am hoping.

Quote:
Oh ****................................... 

I want it. And can afford it after the 26th. But I actually need and amp first :/ 

AH #$%(*&^%$#$%^&*()*&^%$#@

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #728 of 1,064
popcorn.gif

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #729 of 1,064
Helping a friend sell his like-new D18 if anyone might want it. He moved way up market to a Wavelength USB DAC which cost many times more but only sounds a little better.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647173/yulong-sabre-d18-dac-with-es9018-and-balanced-outs

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #730 of 1,064
the less romantic and similarly priced made in the US (really?) schiit gungnir sounds like it's more to my speed and detail preferences and paired with an in between solid state and tube TBI millenium amp, i'd expect a relatively neutral, but liquid sound. we'll see. you can always add warmth to a source down the road, but you can't ever take it back. there's also potential to upgrade the DAC or the output amp down the road with the schiit, but if it's as good as it's rep, i think i'd be happy with that as my "last DAC". a class D amp that leans towards SET sound is a nice way to get a liquid sound. at the amplifier end of the chain is the best place to warm a source tape signal i thought i'd read.

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #731 of 1,064
Quote:
the less romantic and similarly priced made in the US (really?) schiit gungnir sounds like it's more to my speed and detail preferences and paired with an in between solid state and tube TBI millenium amp, i'd expect a relatively neutral, but liquid sound. we'll see. you can always add warmth to a source down the road, but you can't ever take it back. there's also potential to upgrade the DAC or the output amp down the road with the schiit, but if it's as good as it's rep, i think i'd be happy with that as my "last DAC". a class D amp that leans towards SET sound is a nice way to get a liquid sound. at the amplifier end of the chain is the best place to warm a source tape signal i thought i'd read.

It sort of depends. I find that a warm amp gives a different result than a warm DAC, even though we describe both with the same word. I have yet to experience Gungnir so I can't say how it compares with the D18. I did finally hear the Bifrost which I found good but not amazing at the price. And I also heard Mjolnir which was very impressive. I still think I like the Yulong A18 better but it's extremely close with each having their own character. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #733 of 1,064
I have both the Bifrost and the D18 and definitely think the Yulong is a step up. Not to mention if you need balanced, there's no question. Haven't heard the Schiit midrange gear yet.

Reliability: For me, no problems since I got it.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #734 of 1,064
I haven't heard or read about any specific reliability issues for the Yulong D100 or D18. My D18 definitely appeared to have very tight build quality and it sure didn't seem like it would be likely to have problems.

I purchased mine through Grant Fidelity, which provides US based sales support, customer service, and warranty followup. Rachel at Grant Fidelity is awesome for customer service. To me, I view this type of arrangement with solid US based support night and day differently than ordering direct from China and hoping for the best.

This is just my experience and perceptions though.

Quote:
Does this DAC have reliability problems similar to the Yulong D100?

It looks good this DAC and the D100 but I am a bit worried about buying from abroad and reliability etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back