Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Apr 6, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #318 of 1,064

Quote:
You use a knife or flat head screw driver to pop the fuse holder out, it is the drawer with the picture of a fuse on it. No unscrewing things needed. Basically all Chi-Fi comes with this smart fuse arrangement, took me a bit to sort out the first time too.

Cheers,
Ian

Thanks. Having to unscrew the whole thing did seem a little over-the-top. I've popped it out now and, Good Friday holidays permitting, I'll have a 1A Siba slow blow fuse fitted later today. Hooray!

Apr 6, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #319 of 1,064

Quote:
Thanks. Having to unscrew the whole thing did seem a little over-the-top. I've popped it out now and, Good Friday holidays permitting, I'll have a 1A Siba slow blow fuse fitted later today. Hooray!

Looking forward to some impressions on that
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #321 of 1,064
I had a bit of a revelation today. I was lamenting the fact that the D18 does not have a USB input - not that I regularly use USB, but today I was doing some comparisons and it would have come in handy. I was even considering some of the various USB to SPDIF converters out there, specifically the new Anedio U2. It would be good to have one of those around anyway as a review tool.

Then it hit me: I already have several devices that can perform that function around the house! I totally forgot that the Audinst HUD-mx1 has a toslink output and will convert USB signals to optical. So I tried it, and it sounded decent but not up to the level I'm used to from better transports. The D18 is very sensitive to transport quality. Next I remembered that the Audiotrak DR.DAC2 DX that I recently reviewed has the same setup as the Audinst. So I tried that - possibly a tad better but still not great, Both are fairly low priced devices so I won't hold it against them, since it isn't their main focus anyway.

Then I recalled something else: my Violectric V800 DAC has a coaxial output which exits post ASRC, meaning the data has already been reclocked and de-jittered to around 20ps RMS levels. That's nearly on par with the absolute state of the art devices out right now. But I had only ever used it with AES/EBU or coaxial inputs. Would it even send the signal out when using a USB input? The answer was yes and the sound? Amazing. Possibly the best I've yet heard from the D18. It still doesn't change the fundamental character but the level of realism and musicality was astounding. Definitely better than my high end Lexicon and my modified Marantz SA-1 players used as transport. I'd have to do A/B comparisons more than I care to bother with to be sure, but it might even surpass my music server (which also gives a very low jitter signal, over coaxial SPDIF). 

I realize that using the $1300 V800 DAC as a USB to SPDIF converter is not the intended purpose, and most people would never do that. But it showed me once again that the D18 is a very worthy competitor with any sub-$2k DAC, and also that it absolutely loves a great source. Garbage in, garbage out of course.... but also pristine signal in, pristine audio out. I highly encourage D18 users to find a very low jitter source to get the full benefit of the device.

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #323 of 1,064

Your just figuring this out?
Quote:
I had a bit of a revelation today. I was lamenting the fact that the D18 does not have a USB input - not that I regularly use USB, but today I was doing some comparisons and it would have come in handy. I was even considering some of the various USB to SPDIF converters out there, specifically the new Anedio U2. It would be good to have one of those around anyway as a review tool.

Then it hit me: I already have several devices that can perform that function around the house! I totally forgot that the Audinst HUD-mx1 has a toslink output and will convert USB signals to optical. So I tried it, and it sounded decent but not up to the level I'm used to from better transports. The D18 is very sensitive to transport quality. Next I remembered that the Audiotrak DR.DAC2 DX that I recently reviewed has the same setup as the Audinst. So I tried that - possibly a tad better but still not great, Both are fairly low priced devices so I won't hold it against them, since it isn't their main focus anyway.

Then I recalled something else: my Violectric V800 DAC has a coaxial output which exits post ASRC, meaning the data has already been reclocked and de-jittered to around 20ps RMS levels. That's nearly on par with the absolute state of the art devices out right now. But I had only ever used it with AES/EBU or coaxial inputs. Would it even send the signal out when using a USB input? The answer was yes and the sound? Amazing. Possibly the best I've yet heard from the D18. It still doesn't change the fundamental character but the level of realism and musicality was astounding. Definitely better than my high end Lexicon and my modified Marantz SA-1 players used as transport. I'd have to do A/B comparisons more than I care to bother with to be sure, but it might even surpass my music server (which also gives a very low jitter signal, over coaxial SPDIF). 

I realize that using the $1300 V800 DAC as a USB to SPDIF converter is not the intended purpose, and most people would never do that. But it showed me once again that the D18 is a very worthy competitor with any sub-$2k DAC, and also that it absolutely loves a great source. Garbage in, garbage out of course.... but also pristine signal in, pristine audio out. I highly encourage D18 users to find a very low jitter source to get the full benefit of the device.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #324 of 1,064
Well, I've obviously known a low jitter source is a good thing. Ad I feed a very good signal when I use the D18. I guess it just didn't realize how jitter dependent it could be, or how far it could improve. Even over my low jitter transport, the USB to SPDIF conversion brings it to a slightly higher level.

But yes I'm just now finding out my V800 operates as a very good but very expensive USB to SPDIF converter. What a versatile machine it is. It can even go the other way around and convert SPDIF to USB (though I'm not sure when that would come in handy).

Apr 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #325 of 1,064
I've had my D18 for almost a week now and have found it to be an excellent addition to my system.  It replaced an Emotiva XDA-1 in a two channel speaker rig

Its connected via coax from my computer using J River Media Center 17, WASAPI - Event Style.

Files are primarily wav with some FLAC as well.

Its played all files up to 24/192 without issue, only have a couple of the 24/192 files I downloaded from 2LNO and some 24/96 files from HD Tracks.

I've used both the single ended and balanced connections to an Emotiva UPS-1 preamp  (balanced to single ended cable for that connection).

To this point I prefer the balanced out but the difference is also subtle, at least to me.

Most significant improvement I've heard over the XDA-1 is the 3-D soundstage.

The warm sound signature Project86 mentioned is very subtle as well.  I was concerned that it would be more pronounced, not so for me.

My room is a home office/library - marble floor, big wooden desk, book cases, plantation shutters on the windows - so the room has its weakness and the D18 helps address that weakness - brightness.

Acoustic treatments aren't an option (WAF!).

Details and instrument separation are quite good as well

Speakers are Tyler Acoustics Reference Monitors (front ported version) and an Emotiva X-Ref 10 sealed sub. Speakers are driven by Emotive UPA-1 monoblock amps. 

I'm sure you can tell from the equipment I own that I am a bang for the buck guy and I feel that i am getting great value and great sound from all of my components.  I realize its not the best of the best but I enjoy it.

The Yulong Sabre DAC D18 provided a definite improvement in my system and represents a tremendous value at its price point.

Also, thanks to Project86 for his contributions to the community. He's certainly helped me.

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #326 of 1,064
Agreed! My mention of the warmth and smoothness has to be taken in context of comparison to other reference level DACs. And I do think that I have to really zoom in on differences to point them out, in order to write a comprehensive review. But it's not like a massive thing where it is super warm and would be immediately noticeable to the untrained listener. 

Soundstage is very immersive and three dimensional, I agree on that as well. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #328 of 1,064
The disadvantage of D18 is a lack of USB input.I will wait for the next model. I have a Matrix Cube which I am happy with looking to upgrade to Sabre chip set DAC possibly the next model of D18 which has USB input.

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #329 of 1,064
It's awfully frustrating that if you want to properly stack the V200 on top of this thing they have to be oriented 90 degrees to each other :frowning2:

Agreed. Not the fault of either company, but still a headache.

The Kao Audio UD2C will stack on pretty much anything though.... Are you still using that or have you moved on already?

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #330 of 1,064
On a positive note, the soundstage on this is absolutely phenomenal! Listening on AD-700s via a Violectric V200 (waiting on a cable for my hifimans), and symphonic work really has pinpoint instrument placement. As a classical violinist, it's great to hear how far separated they are from the cellos :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back