Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Apr 21, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #991 of 1,064
  People confuse "balanced" with "having XLR inputs and a 4-pin XLR output". It's an easy mistake to make - I've done so myself on several occasions. Plus there's still some debate over what constitutes a "true" balanced design... see the vigorous arguing over Woo Audio's WA22 "balanced" output, or the Bryston BHA-1 which is pretty much a balanced input stage and output stage with an unbalanced middle section (therefore a conversion from balance to SE then back to balanced). 

So what about the A18? Does it have a balanced middle section? If not then why would they make D18 fully balanced?

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #994 of 1,064

The D18 can be used with any fully balanced amp including those that might be made by Yulong.

I understand that, but why D18 and A18 in the same series, where one is balanced and the other one is not?

Thats just the way it is,doesn't make sense to me either.If you want to go fully balanced,get the newer A28 amp to go with the D18,thats what I ended up doing.

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #997 of 1,064
It's complicated. True balanced designs don't necessarily always sound better than single ended designs. To make matters more confusing, a lot of devices will feature XLR inputs or outputs for convenience, despite not being really balanced. This includes amps that are not balanced but have XLR outputs. 

Bottom line - don't chase a balanced system just for the sake of calling it "true balanced". Go for components that seem to fit your needs in terms of sound sig, power, features, etc. The A18 is a brilliant amp, very smooth and musical, while A28 is more neutral and clean sounding. Choose based on that. 

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #1,000 of 1,064
I read a thread where a gent was having quality problems with the D18.  I haven't gone through all 67 pages of posts here, but was wondering if this is a common issue...the unit having issues after a few months?

HS

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #1,001 of 1,064
  I read a thread where a gent was having quality problems with the D18.  I haven't gone through all 67 pages of posts here, but was wondering if this is a common issue...the unit having issues after a few months?

HS

I had one d.o.a unit then the second one lost its magic smoke after 6 months of flawless service , the third one is a little over one year with no issues

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,002 of 1,064
How does this D18 dac compare to NAD M51?

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #1,003 of 1,064

I had one d.o.a unit then the second one lost its magic smoke after 6 months of flawless service , the third one is a little over one year with no issues

I've had my D18 for nearly two years and never a problem. It has been completely reliable. As for comparison with other dac's, perhaps it is just my personal taste but I have looked and never found any reason to upgrade the D18. I did find that providing a better usb signal to the dac improved performance but that is not really a surprise. I consider the lack of built in usb input a plus as you can purchase the usb converter that provides the best match with your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back