Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Dec 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #946 of 1,064
The ifi audio iusb + ilink is a great value imo.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #947 of 1,064
Just spotted THIS in the classified section. Probably not the best thing in the world, but the price is hard to fault, and it seems to use decent parts. It solves the USB problem, though you'd still need to figure something out for volume control. 

EDIT I've not necessarily recommending this buyer, I have no clue who they are. Just showing an example of a very affordable USB solution. 

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #949 of 1,064
When my D18 is cold I get a random 1 second skip every minute or so until it warms up.I believe I am not the first to have this issue with this unit,is there an easy solution?Is it ok to leave it powered on 24/7 to avoid this issue??

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #950 of 1,064
  When my D18 is cold I get a random 1 second skip every minute or so until it warms up.I believe I am not the first to have this issue with this unit,is there an easy solution?Is it ok to leave it powered on 24/7 to avoid this issue??

I haven't had that issue when I owned the D18, but then again I just left it on 24/7.

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #951 of 1,064

My D18 does this also , I just let it run for 1/2 an hour before use
I wouldn't leave it on 24/7 this is my third D18 the first was D.O.A but the second went up in smoke after six months
No problems with this one other than the skip issue

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #952 of 1,064
I've had my D18 for more than a year and never had any problem. Those with problems may have something to do with the usb interface they are using. I recall hearing that some people had problems with maintaining a good signal lock. I use the Hiface 2 and never had any problem. Thinking about upgrading the D18 to the DA8 but I don't need the amp section or the built in usb. I hate paying for stuff I don't need. I also love the musical nature of the D18. Still, I am getting the upgrade bug since I recently got a pair of HD800 to add to my hp collection. It does sound really great out of the D18. Not really sure what would be a solid upgrade. I don't like the highly analytical nature of many dacs out there.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #954 of 1,064
  If you don't need USB or the headphone jack, and you love your D18.... I'd say stick with it. DA8 is "better" but also more neutral, which may not be something you are chasing.

I agree, the D18 is one of those understated masterpieces for the price/performance ratio that gives you that wonderful analog-ish sound. If you want "better" though, then you would surely be pleased with the DA8.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #955 of 1,064
If this dropout issue stays the way it is,no big deal letting it warm up for 5 min,but if it gets progressively worse then its obviously going to be a problem.I contacted Yulong about this yesterday morning,still awaiting a response.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #956 of 1,064
  If this dropout issue stays the way it is,no big deal letting it warm up for 5 min,but if it gets progressively worse then its obviously going to be a problem.I contacted Yulong about this yesterday morning,still awaiting a response.

What source are you connecting it to? I remember when I had the D18 that it was quite picky. I've had great success with the HiFace2 and KingRex UC384 USB/SPDIF converters.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #957 of 1,064
  If you don't need USB or the headphone jack, and you love your D18.... I'd say stick with it. DA8 is "better" but also more neutral, which may not be something you are chasing.

I think I will take your advice and stick with the D18 for now. I may satisfy my upgrade bug by looking for another ss amp (I have an M Stage). I have the CMA800R in my sights. I missed out on a buy last week and I'm still kicking myself. I have two tube amps but sometimes I like the clarity of ss just for a change of pace.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #958 of 1,064
  I think I will take your advice and stick with the D18 for now. I may satisfy my upgrade bug by looking for another ss amp (I have an M Stage). I have the CMA800R in my sights. I missed out on a buy last week and I'm still kicking myself. I have two tube amps but sometimes I like the clarity of ss just for a change of pace.

Cool, I once had the exact same setup as you do now. D18 + M-Stage, my "early days" of Head-Fi :D the M-Stage is great and all, but trust me, there is better out there. You don't know what the D18 is capable of - give it a better amp
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #960 of 1,064
  Have you guys used mostly the balanced outputs on the D18? Just curious about D18's sound quality differences between the single and balanced, other things being equal? Thanks!

I think the balanced output sounds better IMO. The single-ended is closest to neutral of the two, but there is this sort of inoffensive tizziness up top that glosses over the details in the highest frequencies. The bass also isn't as holographic as the XLR output. I think the words I'm looking for is that the RCA output is sweet without the warmth, and the XLR output is both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back