Yulong DAC
Jan 8, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #123 of 153
John - I believe that's the case. The problem seems to be worse for phones (i.e. it doesn't take particularly sensitive headphones for the noise to be evident).

For non true audiophiles like myself, I got around this problem by adding an in-line attenuator between the Yulong and my cans. I picked up a cheap Shure PA235 on eBay which works nicely. I'm not particularly fussed about what this does to bass rolloff etc. -- I'm just happy that there's no more noise!

Jan 8, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #124 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by pibloktoq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John - I believe that's the case. The problem seems to be worse for phones (i.e. it doesn't take particularly sensitive headphones for the noise to be evident).

For non true audiophiles like myself, I got around this problem by adding an in-line attenuator between the Yulong and my cans. I picked up a cheap Shure PA235 on eBay which works nicely. I'm not particularly fussed about what this does to bass rolloff etc. -- I'm just happy that there's no more noise!

That means the headphones are solved by an in-line attenuator, but that would also mean that wed have to use in-line attenuators for the speakers (if it even works...) if we do use this dac for speakers.

Can you please chime in on how in-line attenuators affect bass?

Jan 8, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #125 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jzhang1013 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That means the headphones are solved by an in-line attenuator, but that would also mean that wed have to use in-line attenuators for the speakers (if it even works...) if we do use this dac for speakers.

Can you please chime in on how in-line attenuators affect bass?

Well you run your signal through a second volume pot(probaly a cheap one at that). It would be pretty trivial to make a 75 or 100 ohm adapter or buy one on Ebay for a couple of bucks.

ETYMOTIC ER4P TO ER4S RESISTOR ADAPTOR - eBay (item 300283935980 end time Jan-06-09 18:20:08 PST)

I listen with Senn 650's , 80 Ohm Darth Beyers and Denon D5000 which are 25 ohm. Mine are all quiet for some reason.

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #126 of 153
The thing thats holding me back from getting on of these is the hum/buzz. If it werent for that I would have jumped on this right away. I'm mainly interested in the dac part for my speaker setup and my headphones. The amp is a nice plus but I wont be needing it until I upgrade my headphones which should be later on. Main thing I want this dac is cause it has a cool little LCD in front I mean a zero would have been fine for my case but I know im a little pretentious and want that lcd which I read aint so great anyway. So my decision on this dac is lingering..... Its great, but its something I can do without unless the problems can go away without me losing sound quality... Yea I know its a lame reason to get one, but looks are important too
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #127 of 153
Quote:

The thing thats holding me back from getting on of these is the hum/buzz. If it werent for that I would have jumped on this right away. I'm mainly interested in the dac part for my speaker setup and my headphones. The amp is a nice plus but I wont be needing it until I upgrade my headphones which should be later on. Main thing I want this dac is cause it has a cool little LCD in front I mean a zero would have been fine for my case but I know im a little pretentious and want that lcd which I read aint so great anyway. So my decision on this dac is lingering..... Its great, but its something I can do without unless the problems can go away without me losing sound quality... Yea I know its a lame reason to get one, but looks are important too
frown.gif
frown.gif

Hi,
I own both, and it's a lot better box than the Zero. The case is better, the Circuit boards are better built, the sound is better. The Zero has a lot of QA issues. Both are nice if you get a "Good" one.

Damn shame that there is this buzz issue clouding he Yulong. Both of mine have no issues or Zero issues, pun intended!

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #128 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
I own both, and it's a lot better box than the Zero. The case is better, the Circuit boards are better built, the sound is better. The Zero has a lot of QA issues. Both are nice if you get a "Good" one.

Damn shame that there is this buzz issue clouding he Yulong. Both of mine have no issues or Zero issues, pun intended!

I hope the company acknowledges this and works it out I mean if the zero has no problems how can this dac two times the price of a zero have problems? I was going to fall back on the muiland with the lcd or go cheap with the zero..... sucks cause the musiland hp jack in the back is such a hassle but looks like the yulong and the zero sucks in the looks department anyway.... so yea....

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #129 of 153
Quote:

I hope the company acknowledges this and works it out I mean if the zero has no problems how can this dac two times the price of a zero have problems? I was going to fall back on the muiland with the lcd or go cheap with the zero..... sucks cause the musiland hp jack in the back is such a hassle but looks like the yulong and the zero sucks in the looks department anyway.... so yea....

Ohh, hold on there Boba Louey! The Zero has had much worse QA problems. Really embarrasing problems much worse than a humming transformer. The Yulong is a much better product everything else being equal. Compared to the Zero, the Yulong hasn't had any problems.

How would you like to plug in your HD650's and have them get hit with full DC to the phones taking them out instantly. READ THAT ZERO THREAD!

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #130 of 153
Quote:

Ohh, hold on there Boba Louey! The Zero has had much worse QA problems. Really embarrasing problems much worse than a humming transformer. The Yulong is a much better product everything else being equal. Compared to the Zero, the Yulong hasn't had any problems.

How would you like to plug in your HD650's and have them get hit with full DC to the phones taking them out instantly. READ THAT ZERO THREAD!

yea I saw that thread scared me a little. Thats why its taking me so long to decide on a dac. I just wish that yulong could fix this problem.... cause I really want this dac. Since the innards are good and all. And in addition $300 is a lot to spend on a first dac so I want it to be a near perfect experience....

Jan 9, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #131 of 153
Quote:

yea I saw that thread scared me a little. Thats why its taking me so long to decide on a dac. I just wish that yulong could fix this problem.... cause I really want this dac. Since the innards are good and all. And in addition $300 is a lot to spend on a first dac so I want it to be a near perfect experience....

Hmmm, very few things in life are perfect, but I see what ya mean! The Zero and Yulong, we really don't know what the percentages are of how many people have issues with them. If you buy from Ebay, get it from this seller:

ZERO 24/192 DAC DA CONVERTOR, HEAD AMP(Upgrade Version) - eBay (item 110287182130 end time Jan-14-09 13:00:00 PST)

Jan 9, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #132 of 153
Quote:

Hmmm, very few things in life are perfect, but I see what ya mean! The Zero and Yulong, we really don't know what the percentages are of how many people have issues with them. If you buy from Ebay, get it from this seller:

ZERO 24/192 DAC DA CONVERTOR, HEAD AMP(Upgrade Version) - eBay (item 110287182130 end time Jan-14-09 13:00:00 PST)

I agree. That seller was extremely kind and helpful throughout the whole process. I would buy from them again, if I weren't afraid of Chinese audio gear!

Honestly the Yulong is a gamble. A gamble that I personally would never take again being that I lost the first time. But as I said, the seller is very helpful and attempted to work through the issue with me. I just opted for a refund. But should you get a defective unit, I'm sure they would be more than happy to assist you.

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #133 of 153
I guess it doesnt hurt to buy one then test it if it doesnt work out I can use the refunded money to get the musiland..... right? hehe.. Thats how tempted I am right now..
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #134 of 153
Quote:

I guess it doesnt hurt to buy one then test it if it doesnt work out I can use the refunded money to get the musiland..... right? hehe.. Thats how tempted I am right now..
frown.gif

If you decide to get the Yulong, tell this seller your concerns and get the remedy process straightened out up front. This seller has gone above and beyond compared to the other Chinese operations. Also be certain you tell them about Head-Fi and all the good reviews of the seller you have read. This is very important to this seller. They are the only operation that gives American type Customer service levels.

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #135 of 153
Well another way to justify this purchase is that we need more reviews on this thing!!! Doesn't seem like people are getting it. So I can be a scapegoat.... hopefully its not a big dilemma or anything. But I already emailed the seller and I will wait for his reply...
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back