Yulong DAC
Jan 9, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #136 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jzhang1013 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well another way to justify this purchase is that we need more reviews on this thing!!! Doesn't seem like people are getting it. So I can be a scapegoat.... hopefully its not a big dilemma or anything. But I already emailed the seller and I will wait for his reply...
redface.gif

Good Luck! And it will be a "her" responding to you I believe.

Jan 9, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #137 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good Luck! And it will be a "her" responding to you I believe.

That may be true. At first I was corresponding with Mr. Wong, then Cathy Liu took over after a while. So it may be either one. Cathy seems to be better with English.

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #138 of 153
I plan to buy a DAC with price within $300. There are several models: Zero, Zhaolu D3, Musiland MD10, and Yulong DAH1. Not sure which one to get. USB input and built-in headphone amp are not important to me. Any suggestions?

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #139 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicserve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan to buy a DAC with price within $300. There are several models: Zero, Zhaolu D3, Musiland MD10, and Yulong DAH1. Not sure which one to get. USB input and built-in headphone amp are not important to me. Any suggestions?

Hi,
There's another one you should consider. It is about to be released and looks to be the Best deal around $250 by a good measure. I will warn that it is currently being reviewed, and i have not heard it. reviews should be posted here within a week or so. The $250 is a promotional deal and is supposed to go up, maybe a lot in a few months.

I have a Zero and a Yulong, but this one looks like it "should" be better than both of those. The Zero is POOR quality, and it is not unusual to get a bad one. And, well this is a Yulong thread, and even though mine is perfect, the rest here have not been so lucky. I have no financial stake sending you there. Quite the contrary, I have been involved in some "dust ups" with some cretins on this thread, who suggest I am against the company because I asked a few questions. Ignore that nonsense and look at the product though. Tyhe company makes great stuff that is used a lot by Head Fiers, especially their discrete OpAmps.

If you post to the thread, let em know I sent ya!

The producict is the www.Audio-gd.com Compass

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/des...ompass-385759/

Les

p.s. you cold read the thread if there is a lack of Drama in your life, and you just want some entertainment!

Jan 13, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #140 of 153
Thanks, I will wait for a week or two and see if it will become available.

Which Chinese made model (stock, not modified) do you like the best except the Compass?

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
There's another one you should consider. It is about to be released and looks to be the Best deal around $250 by a good measure. I will warn that it is currently being reviewed, and i have not heard it. reviews should be posted here within a week or so. The $250 is a promotional deal and is supposed to go up, maybe a lot in a few months.

I have a Zero and a Yulong, but this one looks like it "should" be better than both of those. The Zero is POOR quality, and it is not unusual to get a bad one. And, well this is a Yulong thread, and even though mine is perfect, the rest here have not been so lucky. I have no financial stake sending you there. Quite the contrary, I have been involved in some "dust ups" with some cretins on this thread, who suggest I am against the company because I asked a few questions. Ignore that nonsense and look at the product though. Tyhe company makes great stuff that is used a lot by Head Fiers, especially their discrete OpAmps.

If you post to the thread, let em know I sent ya!

The producict is the ¦ó庆华 ºÍ§Ó*µ响 Compass

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/des...ompass-385759/

Les

p.s. you cold read the thread if there is a lack of Drama in your life, and you just want some entertainment!

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #141 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicserve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I will wait for a week or two and see if it will become available.

Which Chinese made model (stock, not modified) do you like the best except the Compass?

Heh, I like my Yulong! Don't have any problems with it. I've only had experience with 2 DACs, the Zero and the Yulong and have been lucky with both. I believe the Yulong is better made than the Zero and sounds better. I have not had time to mod my Zero out. It is supposed to be killer with the FrankenZero mod. Not a trivial mod to do though.

I wish we could get a handle on how many Yulongs have issues.

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #143 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jzhang1013 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been following the Compass, but doesn't seem to be following the Yulong in the looks department with the "cool" LCD...

The LCD is not all it's cracked up to be. If there is much light in the room, the LCD is almost impossible to read. The Plexiglas that covers it is thick and tinted heavily I believe. I think this showed up earlier in theis thread or another thread. So, to me it is difficult to use, but Kewl in it's appearance, if that makes sense. The Yulong has a remote which is very handy. The Yulong has great sound quality compared to a SC, and sounds better than the stock Zero to me. More detailed and focused. The Yulong construction is superb. If It didn't HUM, I'm thinkin' it would go like gang Busters.

Mine is dead silent, or I can't hear that Freq!!

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #144 of 153
Hello,
I just discovered a recent FLAW that is dangerous. When I reboot my computer, the Vol level is reset to MAX. I'm assuming because the Digital signal bounced on and off. This is real bad if you left phones connected during the reboot of your computer. Anyone else seen this?? I don't understand why they would do this stupid move. Freakin' Dangerous!!

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #145 of 153
I rebooted my iMac with the Yulong dah1 mark connected with a TOSLINK. There was no change in the Vol. on the DAC. Have no idea what's going on with your setup.
Overall, I'm happy with the Yulong. I had to replace the original power cord and the remote doesn't sync with the unit. But there's no hum and works just fine.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #146 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by helios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rebooted my iMac with the Yulong dah1 mark connected with a TOSLINK. There was no change in the Vol. on the DAC. Have no idea what's going on with your setup.
Overall, I'm happy with the Yulong. I had to replace the original power cord and the remote doesn't sync with the unit. But there's no hum and works just fine.

I'm trying to figure out when it does it. I just rebooted and it didn't do it. I started and stopped a few sound appz and it didn't do it. So I haven't figured out the pattern yet. I had COAX and Optical in it, so I pulled one of those. It is not kewl, becuase you fire up with full volume in $100 plus canz and it scares the crap out of you!.

On a side note, do you have any issues with your Yulong?

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #147 of 153
It IS scary when something bad happens sometimes but not others for no apparent reason. Especially when you have expensive cans involved.

Apart from the remote, which I really don't care about, I don't have any issues with my Yulong. Good dynamic and acoustical range with a decent soundstage.

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #150 of 153
I just ordered one of these puppies off fleabay, 2nd hand. I hope it doesn't hum.

Update:
Just got it. No hum at all w/HD650's when volume set at reasonable levels. If you crank the volume gain up to max, yes there's noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back