Yuin PK3 Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #556 of 779
How does the pk3 compare SQ-wise to the er6i? Clearly, from what I see here, they have a punchier low end (a 6i weakness), but how about mids, highs, clarity, detail etc? Thanks.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #557 of 779
I just got my Pk3 today, out of the box it sounds good but not as good as my stock earbud from my creative zen nano plus..

I have ab them a few times with different sources and still the stock bud from my zen sounds better, wider soundstage, better bass sq etc.. The zen buds of course I have had for a while and is well burned in... you guys find the pk3's to improve much with burn in?

How many hours do you guys think it would need to properly burn them in? I am hoping for a better sounding phone than my stock zen nano plus buds, can anyone else recommend a good earphone? I really like the portability and ease of use with these type of phones.

Thanks

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #558 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robisan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the pk3 compare SQ-wise to the er6i? Clearly, from what I see here, they have a punchier low end (a 6i weakness), but how about mids, highs, clarity, detail etc? Thanks.

The PK3s don't do as well at clarity, detail, and highs as the Ety's, but that exactly the Etys' trump card, so it should be expected.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #559 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by amhd600 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have ab them a few times with different sources and still the stock bud from my zen sounds better, wider soundstage, better bass sq etc.. The zen buds of course I have had for a while and is well burned in... you guys find the pk3's to improve much with burn in?

Odd, out of the box I found them to be quite warm with a good sound stage and great clarity.. the high end so bright it presented a sibilare of hiss. I would say they excelled with any acoustic music I threw at them and really suprised me with the likes of Vangelis where music separation is key. Techno and electronica however are a bit disappointing, the bass while well extended is not as loud as I would like for this genre; and that to my ears is there only drawback.

So far I've given them about 20 hours of a combination of pink noise, white noise, frequencies of 10-30000, 20-20000 and a heavy drum beat. The results thus far are minimal as expected, the bass is peaking through a little more and the sibilance is calming down. Id go as far to estimate a good 200 hours of burn-in, and then they will really shine.

Overall I'm really pleased with the PK3s with a Zune as source, it gives them greater clarity when compared to the Fuze or even my Chaintech AV-710 sound card.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #560 of 779
Hi all!

I was following this thread and I'm now a happy owner of the PK3 (paired with sansa clip). Really fun ear buds! They feel weighty compared to my old Senn MX500. PK3 is great for rock and metal, pretty thumping I must say. Sure, the 'sound proofing' is poor but hey, these are ear buds. Thank you guys for highlighting this fine product!

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #561 of 779
I find the PK3s, although musical, a bit bass heavy. I've yet to hear the sibilance everyone is talking about... could be my source iphone 3gs (most mp3s > 192kb). My senn mx500 are brighter than the PK3s but have far less bass. I'm listening to them without foams because, to me, they accentuate the bass and I would like a little more high frequencies. I like them, tho. Best earbud I've heard so far.

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #562 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the PK3s, although musical, a bit bass heavy. I've yet to hear the sibilance everyone is talking about... could be my source iphone 3gs (most mp3s > 192kb). My senn mx500 are brighter than the PK3s but have far less bass. I'm listening to them without foams because, to me, they accentuate the bass and I would like a little more high frequencies. I like them, tho. Best earbud I've heard so far.

I could almost guarantee it is your source, I've found the iphone, like the fuze to add bass but at the expense of clarity and music separation. I use a fuze with a pair of twice repaired marshmallows for Drum n Bass and the likes when I'm working out.

I agree the foams do add a little bass, I think it's because they create a slightly better seal than the tiny earphone alone. Although with the foam they are set back a few more mm, I wonder if this affects the musical separation at all?

Also did you burn them in?

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #563 of 779
So my PK3 phones arrived yesterday. I was not expecting that the foam inserts would have an opening in the middle...I suppose that is to improve the treble. There was one regular pair, without the opening, and that is what I am using.

Anyway, I would agree that these have an open sound. I also agree that they almost have too much treble...not to the point of being harsh... but certainly no roll off. My taste trends to a slight high end roll off, which can bring out the bass. The bass seems to be there with my iphone 3G; but certainly not too much. By the way I play everything FLAT in terms of EQ. (I think reviewers should, in general, comment on whether they use EQ or not. If they do use EQ, the reviews should discuss the rough parameters).

But I have not broken these in yet. I much prefer earbuds to in-ears (except for plane flight)....so I will give them some more time. So far I don't think they are a huge upgrade to my regular Sennheiser (MX400?) and Sony cheapo buds.

But I suspect I will use these more than the Nuforce NE-7M and Shure E2C IEMs (again excepting plane use). I do like the Shures for plane use, as I have custom molds (from a division of Starkey).

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #564 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could almost guarantee it is your source, I've found the iphone, like the fuze to add bass but at the expense of clarity and music separation. I use a fuze with a pair of twice repaired marshmallows for Drum n Bass and the likes when I'm working out.

I agree the foams do add a little bass, I think it's because they create a slightly better seal than the tiny earphone alone. Although with the foam they are set back a few more mm, I wonder if this affects the musical separation at all?

Also did you burn them in?

I agree with you in part. I also adjusted the fit of the buds to my ears and that tended to regulate the bass a bit. No, I do not use any EQ and they are burning in as I type. I will give them several days of burn-in before I make a judgement. But, as I said, I like them so far.

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #565 of 779
Hey guys I just ordered a new pair of PK3's due to my last pair's right side crapping out on me due to the 3.5mm jack problem. The new pair looks like it has a re-designed jack with a more elastic rubber guard. I've included a pic and hopefully this new design with alleviate some of the problems with Yuin earphones dying out on one side or the other. Great to have these back really missed them while they MIA.

Edit: The new ones are on the left

IMG_0437.jpg

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #567 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by neco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new pair looks like it has a re-designed jack with a more elastic rubber guard.

Well spotted, mine are new and also have the rubber guard, it's great to see this on a pair on cheap headphones, it beats me why the more expensive ones don't have this and end up splitting on people after a couple months.

Headphone manufactures need to follow a strict standard; rubber guard at both ends of the cable, and zero cable microphonics.

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #570 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard and used the YUIN PK2, did not like the intense treble on them..
Do you think I'll like the pk3??

I haven't seen many complaints about harsh treble on the PK3's. A lot people comment on the bass being better on the PK3's compared to the PK2's. I think you will like the PK3's and for the price it may be worth the gamble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back