Yuin PK3 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #286 of 779
tstarn06,
Thanks for your response (and yours pending, average_joe).
I will be using an iPhone 3g as my main source on a road trip this summer and cannot seem to decide between the convenience and relatively good SQ of the Nuforce vs the more balanced sound of the Yuin PK3. So perhaps it comes down to personal preference- SQ versus convenience.
Any other thoughts greatly appreciated!
NICK

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #287 of 779
Convenience because of the iPhone, right? Makes sense. I had a problem with my 7, and had to send it back. The mic button went haywire, but that can happen. Not sure how widespread it is.

Me, I'd rather buy an extender (like the Griffin SmartTalk, which I own for my touch. In fact, I have two of them, since my daughter didn't want one for her Touch) and not risk losing my phones cause of a mechanical failure. It's kind of like why I never bought a TV with a VCR or DVD player built in - one goes and it's all worthless. But that's just me. If you are on a road trip and the 7 conks out, you are SOL.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #288 of 779
I can certainly appreciate that point.
I already own a pair of modded KSC75's that I could (and probably should) bring as a back up pair or to share with my fiance.
Build quality is important as I seem to be as hard on my buds as an 8 year old would be. Any thoughts on the strength or resiliency of either pair?
Thanks again,
NICK

Feb 9, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #289 of 779
Okay, back to calmness. Build-wise, the PK3s are just a more solid choice because they are buds and have no working parts, nor do they require added expense for tips. I could not get a good seal with the included silicone sleeves and had to use Comply T400s, which cost $4 a pair. Again, that's just my personal issue, but I am not alone on that front (the OEM sleeves not working).

You didn't mention a backup pair of phones before. I just would never sacrifice convenience for SQ. That's just me. I might buy the new iPod dual drivers, which seem to be okay SQ-wise and also have the mic, etc. They are $30 more than the NuForce phones. I just had a bad experience durability-wise with my NuForce phones. So if I were going on a long trip, I wouldn't trust them. Others find them a much better budget phone than I do. Personal preference, I guess.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #290 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, back to calmness. Build-wise, the PK3s are just a more solid choice because they are buds and have no working parts, nor do they require added expense for tips. I could not get a good seal with the included silicone sleeves and had to use Comply T400s, which cost $4 a pair. Again, that's just my personal issue, but I am not alone on that front (the OEM sleeves not working).

You didn't mention a backup pair of phones before. I just would never sacrifice convenience for SQ. That's just me. I might buy the new iPod dual drivers, which seem to be okay SQ-wise and also have the mic, etc. They are $30 more than the NuForce phones. I just had a bad experience durability-wise with my NuForce phones. So if I were going on a long trip, I wouldn't trust them. Others find them a much better budget phone than I do. Personal preference, I guess.

how do you use Comply T400s with the PK3? They look like canalphone tips
confused.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #293 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you use Comply T400s with the PK3? They look like canalphone tips
confused.gif

I meant with the 7s, when I owned them. My bad. Unclear post. The OK3 "canal phone" option stinks. And yes, radioshack pads are good with the PK3, though they are thicker. I just bought a bunch on ebay. And I prefer the donut pads on the PK3, not full.

Feb 10, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #294 of 779
Well I got my PK3s today, and here are my quick first impressions:

If you know what a KSC75 sounds like, the PK3, overall, is just like it, but in smaller form.
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #295 of 779
You guys are evil. Just ordered a pair.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #296 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you know what a KSC75 sounds like, the PK3, overall, is just like it, but in smaller form.
wink.gif

To me the bass response of the PK3s is much better than my KSC75, but than I haven't done any mods to the KSC75 yet.

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #297 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me the bass response of the PK3s is much better than my KSC75, but than I haven't done any mods to the KSC75 yet.

True, KSC75 is a little on the boomy side

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #299 of 779
The gummy feeling of the cable still bugs me to no end, but oh well. Can't have everything.
tongue.gif

If only my ear canals were bigger though...I have to have them in at an angle, and that, IMO, really throws off what the PK3 is truly capable of showing.

EDIT: Oh snap, I just plugged them into my secondary college rig, and without a doubt, they beat the Koss KSC75!

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #300 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

Give them a few days of pink noise or something. They get better in my view. And I understand the bud thing on getting the right angle. Some people can't wear buds cause they bump the outer ear and hurt with extended use. The OK3s did that for me, which is why I returned to the PK3s, which have a smoother, less dramatic edge. Also, you can try them without the pads, but I don't like that sound (more like the PK2s).

I had them on last night with my cheap E5 and the Clip, and they sounded fantastic. I love these little buggers. For a poor college student who wants good sound, they can't be beat (I am not a poor college student, but I was thinking that as I listened). A cheap 2GB DAP and a pair of these, way under $100 for great SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back