YUIN PK2 .... Earbud KILLER !!!! (mini review)
Jan 10, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #46 of 118
So what's the difference between the sony and the other one here? Extra piece of thin metal shiny thingy and a sony logo that cost like another $0.03? Or does it take $30 labor to make a SONY earbud?
redface.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call me what you want, but I would not pay $70 for $1.50 of material and $0.03 of labor, regardless of how "good" they may sound. $70 isn't chump change, at least to some of us. If they were appropriately priced I would certainly go for a pair of decent earbuds.

But this is what you get, for 70 bucks:
DSC00747.jpg

Jan 10, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #47 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call me what you want, but I would not pay $70 for $1.50 of material and $0.03 of labor, regardless of how "good" they may sound. $70 isn't chump change, at least to some of us. If they were appropriately priced I would certainly go for a pair of decent earbuds.

But this is what you get, for 70 bucks:
DSC00747.jpg

I understand its your money to spend as you wish as I'm only adding my two cents to this discussion, but even in the Koss example the headphones are actually priced appropriately. Honestly, this is a little ridiculous.

I understand where you're coming from, but how can you say that and not say anything about the sony?
Because its flashy it probably costs them 10 more cents to make.
Labour? same.. its just glueing parts together, everything else is made by machine
And when its made in japan, or the US.. how much more labour can it be? it takes, say 5 minutes (which is quite a while to glue earbuds, or most headphones).. With minimum wage it would still come up under a dollar

Everything in audio's overpriced, especially as we keep going up the ladder

Jan 10, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #48 of 118
They are obviously trying to sell under "it sounds as good as the other $70 competitions". But when a manufacturer make 2,300% in gross profit, I have a problem with that, and I can't believe TTVJ would even consider carry stuff like this (all his other stuff are well made and hi-end. I think this cheapens his lines). He is probably paid pretty handsomely, although there is nothing wrong with wanting to make more $. I blame the manufacturer for setting the pricing.

Jan 10, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #49 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything in audio's overpriced, especially as we keep going up the ladder

an average EE cost about $80-150K a year in salary and I would imagine most of the really hi-end stuff are made by engineers and not just technicians.

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #50 of 118
i really don't get why some of you are getting so worked up over aesthetics. that is what this is coming down to since you really can't comment on build quality from pictures. so even if these may sound amazing and produce an SQ that rival $150 cans (i'm being theoretical here, folks) you are initially turning a blind eye towards them because they look cheap. ever hear of not judging a book by its cover?
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #51 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
an average EE cost about $80-150K a year in salary and I would imagine most of the really hi-end stuff are made by engineers and not just technicians.

Yes, the really high-end stuff. Like maybe the orpheus, and even then I'm doubtful. Do you really think they have EEs wasting their time making headphones? or amps even? It doesn't take training as an EE to solder contacts and tune drivers. It really doesn't.

edit: Oh, and fwiw, here in Canada the cx300's cost ~$90 at retail. They are made in china and can't cost more than $5 in total. They also feel plasticky and cheap for $90 earbuds, so you can't hold anything against Yuin.

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #52 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: Oh, and fwiw, here in Canada the cx300's cost ~$90 at retail. They are made in china and can't cost more than $5 in total. They also feel plasticky and cheap for $90 earbuds, so you can't hold anything against Yuin.

touche! good point!

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #53 of 118
fyi, so far so good on the PK2 in the looks department. looking like normal black OEM buds is a GOOD thing in the subways of New York!

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #54 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the really high-end stuff. Like maybe the orpheus, and even then I'm doubtful. Do you really think they have EEs wasting their time making headphones? or amps even? It doesn't take training as an EE to solder contacts and tune drivers. It really doesn't.

I merely pointed out that "everything in audio is overpriced" is an unqualified statement. You need not go into specifics wrt my comment to the previous comment.

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #55 of 118
Just stating my opinion

If they compete or perform better than other $70, why wouldn't they sell it at that price?
And if they sell it at whatever you think is reasonable , would people take it seriously?

I'm unsure about this one, but i don't think many headphone related companies use EEs at all eg. Grado, RSA.. Sure there would be some, like the biggest companies such as sennheiser and beyer, but they wont be the best top $ engineers.

Worst comes to worst, a cheap looking earbuds will reduce the 'lets mug that guy' factor

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #56 of 118
Just placed an order for these for my girlfriend, I do get the privilege of listening to them for a while first: p she does not like anything inside the ears so its always ear buds plus she finds it comfortable that she can hear some of the outside noise.

Me personally, I found the Sony MDR-E888LP to be best ear buds I've heard (after removing the white pieces inside.) to date. With my NW-A608V flash player its a great match. I've tried the older Senheiser buds although nice, the Sony’s were nicer. Curious to see how these will perform... the reports of some soundstage got me interested.

As for the price, well for me being in the UK means that (we get shafted bad) this costs more or less the same as how much it cost me to get the MDR-E888LP & KSC35s. So no complaints there.

For some reason I also like the fact that its generic looking black buds! Kind of oldskool and reminds me of the times when the equipment didn't matter just the music playing!
icon10.gif
confused.gif
icon10.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #58 of 118
Geez, I'd rather pay $70 to something that looks cheap, but actually sounds good than something that look like it is worth $100, but sounds like a $10 earbud.

When you say the product is worth $1.50 in parts + $0.03, you did not take into consideration product development and research...

Ray Samuels always says that there will be some that will open his amps and count how many resistors, chips, caps, etc is on the tiny little board and complain that $350 is too much for something worth in parts no more than $20. It is no different here.

Do you think engineering, product development and marketing is free?????

Geez

Jan 11, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #59 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Geez, I'd rather pay $70 to something that looks cheap, but actually sounds good than something that look like it is worth $100, but sounds like a $10 earbud.

When you say the product is worth $1.50 in parts + $0.03, you did not take into consideration product development and research...

Ray Samuels always says that there will be some that will open his amps and count how many resistors, chips, caps, etc is on the tiny little board and complain that $350 is too much for something worth in parts no more than $20. It is no different here.

Do you think engineering, product development and marketing is free?????

Geez

It's all relative to the competition. Hell, KSC75s are only 15 bucks. And yes, there are portable amps that don't cost $350 either

Jan 11, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #60 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's all relative to the competition. Hell, KSC75s are only 15 bucks. And yes, there are portable amps that don't cost $350 either

Well, yeah, but the KSC75 is not an earbud, so it should cost $15 to $20.

Ray Samuel amps perform better than most amps including more expensive ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back