Yuin G2: first pics + impressions
Oct 5, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #16 of 24
50h+ burn in now.

The phones are calming down in the highs dramatically. Sibilance is all but gone. I wouldn't describe them as "harsh" anymore, but "bright" would be more appropriate. They still have problems handling high volumes, but not as much as before. And they still have troubles with a few of my test tracks (Bliss by Muse being a good example, it's hardly listenable to be completely honest - HiFlight if you have the Origin of Symmetry album, can you have a listen??).

I'm starting to wonder whether storage temperature might be making a difference here. When they first arrived, they were indeed very cool (from the delivery conditions no doubt), and the first day or two I had stored them in a rather cool room (around 16 degrees centigrade). I've since been burning them in at 22C+.

In summary, burning them in seems to be helping. But they still have a long way to go to be considered even "good" by my standards (which admittedly are low).

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #17 of 24
i'm curious how G2 will fare against PK2 and KSC75.

look wise, it's no contest. G2 is sure winner
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by roxxor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been burning these in for a good 40 hours now. Their signature doesn't seem to have changed to dramatically. They still present a very harsh treble, sometimes sibilant. Vocals are recessed, but harsh as well. Low end thus far is really really nice. That's how they sound out of my iPod, even at low volume (unlike HiFlight, I notice lots of distortion at moderate to high volumes with the iPod volume control).

Strangely, they sound completely different from my laptop. They're not harsh at all. No distortion. No artifacts. No sibilance. In fact, they're very very smooth.

I don't quite understand why there's this difference. My plan is to continue to burn them in for another 40 hours or so before I re-evaluate. I'll see if an amp can calm them down as well.

To be honest, I'll be disappointed if they don't improve with the iPod alone, as their primary function was to serve as running phones.

i've got a previous (non-commercial) version of the G1, and my feelings of it pretty much agree with what you said here, at least straight from a DAP. i'll try it again tonight with an amp and from the laptop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interested in knowing how the G1 will fare against the PK1/OK1
biggrin.gif

i've got the pk1, and currently i don't think that the G1 can compare. i'll do some extensive testing later and report back tho.

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #20 of 24
Mini review of the Yuin G1 vs. PK1
Ran out of X5L to Porta Corda MKIII
I haven’t had the G1 for long and it’s only been run in for about 20+ hours. This is compared to a PK1 with at least 200 hours clocked on it.

Comfort. The G1 hangs loosely (for me) off the outer ear and easily falls off. The PK1 sits comfortably slightly in the canal and also fall off easily. Both rather sit still don’t move kind of phones.

Volume. Roughly the same. Didn’t expect that. Neither isolates much, but I find myself cranking the G1 up to compensate for all the outside noise (keyboard, computer etc).

Bass. The G1 currently has lots and lots of bass. The bass is deep and enveloping, kind of overpowering. It gives it a very warm signature. PK1’s bass is tight and powerful, and there’s not that much of it.

Mids. G1 vocals are very laid back and sometimes can feel very small. They are also somewhat harsh and sibilant. Soundstage however is not bad. Even at this stage, I can hear the separation and the positions of different instruments, and width seems on par, if not larger than the PK1. On the PK1, the vocals are silk smooth. Being a bud though, the PK1 still puts most instruments in my head, or at least somewhere around my ears.

Highs. Right now something is missing in G1’s highs, making pianos sound a bit strange. Clarity is not quite there yet, and details exist but they get muffled by the bass.

Afterthoughts:
The Yuin G1 seems too bassy to be enjoyable right now. It may be due to run in, but I’m more curious about what would happen if I quarter modded the pads?

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #21 of 24
I would probably have to listen to one before I made a purchase despite all the ravings.

All the Yuin headphones look cheap. I don't like the name either.

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would probably have to listen to one before I made a purchase despite all the ravings.

All the Yuin headphones look cheap. I don't like the name either.

Don't let the looks or the name fool you! Yuin earbuds sound terrific and better than most similarly priced IEMs, and even full-sized headphones. That's a fact - there are lots and lots of Yuin users out there who will confirm that.

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by noblsheep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mini review of the Yuin G1 vs. PK1
Ran out of X5L to Porta Corda MKIII
I haven’t had the G1 for long and it’s only been run in for about 20+ hours. This is compared to a PK1 with at least 200 hours clocked on it.

Comfort. The G1 hangs loosely (for me) off the outer ear and easily falls off. The PK1 sits comfortably slightly in the canal and also fall off easily. Both rather sit still don’t move kind of phones.

Volume. Roughly the same. Didn’t expect that. Neither isolates much, but I find myself cranking the G1 up to compensate for all the outside noise (keyboard, computer etc).

Bass. The G1 currently has lots and lots of bass. The bass is deep and enveloping, kind of overpowering. It gives it a very warm signature. PK1’s bass is tight and powerful, and there’s not that much of it.

Mids. G1 vocals are very laid back and sometimes can feel very small. They are also somewhat harsh and sibilant. Soundstage however is not bad. Even at this stage, I can hear the separation and the positions of different instruments, and width seems on par, if not larger than the PK1. On the PK1, the vocals are silk smooth. Being a bud though, the PK1 still puts most instruments in my head, or at least somewhere around my ears.

Highs. Right now something is missing in G1’s highs, making pianos sound a bit strange. Clarity is not quite there yet, and details exist but they get muffled by the bass.

Afterthoughts:
The Yuin G1 seems too bassy to be enjoyable right now. It may be due to run in, but I’m more curious about what would happen if I quarter modded the pads?

Thanks you very much for the review. It now really seems to me like our Yuin earclips are in fact just prototypes, not the final product. I can't wait for the Oct 10th G1/G2 release date on Head-Direct - those should be the real thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back