Yuin G2: first pics + impressions
Sep 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

roxxor

100+ Head-Fier
Despite concerns of official distribution, seller reliability, etc, I took the plunge and ordered these puppies from ebay. Impressions will follow as soon as I get my hands on a pair of KSC75's for comparison (will do that tomorrow). Briefly though, build quality seems excellent. They are super light as well, lighter than I remember the KSC75's being, and more comfortable. SQ-wise, nowhere near the detail and soundstage of my SA6's, but that's about all I can compare them to at the moment (and let's be honest, a bit unfair).

More tomorrow. In the meantime, enjoy the pics below.
biggrin.gif

Top of box:
CIMG1205.jpg

Bottom of box:
CIMG1209.jpg

Everything unpackaged:
CIMG1211.jpg

Closeup of warranty card:
CIMG1214.jpg

The phones:
CIMG1216.jpg

Closeup of the right ear piece:
CIMG1219.jpg

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 24
Damn you bet me! I just got my G2s about an hour ago. Just listened to them for about 10 minutes so far, but I currently don't have a camera to take pics.
frown.gif
The build quality does seem great indeed and also the fit was almost perfect for me right out of the box. I own unmodded Koss KSC75 and compared to them, the G2s sound much better out straight of the box IMO - the bass is much tighter and more accurate and the clarity is much better, although I haven't compared the two directly yet. I don't have any time right now, but i'll post more impressions hopefully this evening. Oh yeah and BTW, I also have the Sleek SA6s that I got just a few days ago and they do sound better than the G2, but the G2s are not burned in yet - I expect them to get much better overtime. Cheers.
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 24
Ok, after burning my G2s in for two nights, I must say that unfortunately these 'phones seem to be way too aggressive in the upper mids/highs for my taste - it has an unpleasant harshness and ringing quality to it. My Yuin PK2s just sound far better in comparison and I find the Koss KSC75 more enjoyable as well because of this. I noticed this problem the first time I heard the G2s, but thought it was gonna disappear after some burn-in - well, I think it did get a bit better after about 20 hours, but it's still pretty bad. Let's see if more burn-in will tame those crazy highs.

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 24
Thanks for the news, but it's possible that your G2 are an unfinished product (or prototype) compared to what will be officially released in a while.

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 24
mmm..interesting product.i own the pk2 with the D2 and at high volumes they cannot handle the current (i dont have money fot the pk1).i have also Kc75 and the are the best at their price.i hope G2 are better and such low price i will be happy if they succeed to earthquake the upper floor of high fidelity residents

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the news, but it's possible that your G2 are an unfinished product (or prototype) compared to what will be officially released in a while.

Might not be. I know that G2 has been released in China and HK for a while now. However, the G1 has yet to be released yet.

If G2 sounds better than KSC75, that will be really good news. We haven't really seen any clip-on of high quality lately (*read: ever).

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 24
I have a pair that I received from Head-Direct for evaluation. I find the sound be be very similar to that of my OK2, although the G2 is priced considerably less. It can also be driven directly from a CD player or MP3 player without the necessity for external amplification although the external amp really allows the soundstage to fully develop.

As a clip-on, it is more comfortable than my KSC-35, and does have better detail in the high frequencies. The G2 does provide a large, expansive soundstage and, given its modest cost, provides quite a good soundstage.

I have been listening to the G2 thru my Head-Direct EF1 amp and using the K2 CD for my source. I do think that this is a phone that will reflect any shortcomings of the source material.

I hear no evidence of any harshness or any unpleasant artifacts at any reasonable level of volume. As this is a low-impedance phone with a high sensitivity, it is not able to handle large amounts of input current without audible distortion, but I was able to drive them to a level that I found uncomfortable without experiencing any such distortion.

I do believe that this is a very nice phone that can be used with physical activities while still enjoying a quality sound. The clips comfortably held the phones in place during some running tests, head-shaking, and other activities that I could think of that would dislodge other types of buds or phones.

I think the G2 will provide a very good alternative to those individuals who are unable to tolerate IEMs or earbud-type phones that must be inserted into ones ears.

Packaging also includes a spare set of pads.

These headphones should be available for purchase from Head-Direct within a week or so. If one has concerns about online dealer support (or lack thereof), dealing with Head-Direct should certainly alleviate these concerns, as customer service and support by Head-Direct is superb.

For a modestly priced phone that delivers very nice sound and can be used in a variety of different environments and physical activities, the G2 is certainly worth consideration.

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 24
I've been burning these in for a good 40 hours now. Their signature doesn't seem to have changed to dramatically. They still present a very harsh treble, sometimes sibilant. Vocals are recessed, but harsh as well. Low end thus far is really really nice. That's how they sound out of my iPod, even at low volume (unlike HiFlight, I notice lots of distortion at moderate to high volumes with the iPod volume control).

Strangely, they sound completely different from my laptop. They're not harsh at all. No distortion. No artifacts. No sibilance. In fact, they're very very smooth.

I don't quite understand why there's this difference. My plan is to continue to burn them in for another 40 hours or so before I re-evaluate. I'll see if an amp can calm them down as well.

To be honest, I'll be disappointed if they don't improve with the iPod alone, as their primary function was to serve as running phones.

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by roxxor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been burning these in for a good 40 hours now. Their signature doesn't seem to have changed to dramatically. They still present a very harsh treble, sometimes sibilant. Vocals are recessed, but harsh as well. Low end thus far is really really nice. That's how they sound out of my iPod, even at low volume (unlike HiFlight, I notice lots of distortion at moderate to high volumes with the iPod volume control).

Strangely, they sound completely different from my laptop. They're not harsh at all. No distortion. No artifacts. No sibilance. In fact, they're very very smooth.

I don't quite understand why there's this difference. My plan is to continue to burn them in for another 40 hours or so before I re-evaluate. I'll see if an amp can calm them down as well.

To be honest, I'll be disappointed if they don't improve with the iPod alone, as their primary function was to serve as running phones.

I completely agree with your impressions, except that mine sound pretty much the same out of every source I try them with - there's always the same overly bright and exaggerated highs, recessed midrange, but good, punchy and fairly deep bass response. I think that the sound has improved now after 40 hours of burn-in, but the highs still dominate everything, and the mids remain recessed. I have also noticed that while the bass on the G2s has good detail, the midrange actually sounds quite schematic (lacking detail), similar to PK2, but nowhere near as much fun, because it is being overpowered by the highs. The bass does go much deeper than PK2s though.

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 24
I think Head-Direct is going to address the issue of the unpleasant highs. For some reason, mine seem to be an exception or else there is a difference in the performance with different sources.

It is likely that Head-Direct will introduce the G1 while they are addressing the issues of the G2.

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is likely that Head-Direct will introduce the G1 while they are addressing the issues of the G2.

Just saw the announcement on Head-Direct werbsite, both G1 and G2 will be released on Oct. 10th.

People, get your wallet ready.
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back