Yuin G1A and G2A
Mar 17, 2009 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 154

mrarroyo

Headphoneus Supremus
Today I received from Fang of Head Direct the latest revisions to their ear clip headphones, the G1A and the G2A. These are styled like the Koss KSC35/75 and straight out of the box the sound very good. However according to Fang they need about 100 hours of burn-in which I just started and will report next weekend on their evolution.

I will add that out of the box they sound very close to one another, enough so that I would be hard pressed to pay the premium on the G1A over the G2A. I hope the 100 hours separates them, right now they are on the warm side but with lots of detail/clarity.
icon10.gif

You can read more at:

G1A: Head-Direct.com | YUIN

G1A headphones are the improved version of G1 with more balanced sound signature with better high and low.

Specifications
Frequency: 20Hz to 24kHz
Impedance 150 Ohms
Sensitivity: 105 db
Max input voltage: 1000mv

G2A: Head-Direct.com | YUIN

G2A headphones are the improved version of G2 with more balanced sound signature with better high and low.

Specifications
Frequency: 20Hz to 20kHz
Impedance 60 Ohms
Sensitivity: 110 db
Max input voltage: 500mv

Both units include a second set of foamies, and the G1A adds a 1/8" to a 1/4" adapter. Here is a picture of the two units I received.

G1AandG2APic2.jpg

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 154
I too received a pair for review, not sure I can add much more than Miguel, since he has more experience than I do, but I will try. I am also burning mine in right now. My initial listen was done with an amp (T4) and my Touch, because I couldn't get enough volume out of the G1A without an amp. I will do my reviews using the same setup. Also, AntonyFirst reviewed these phones in October 2008, when they were first released (and before the improvements, hence the "A" designation).

I also agree that they offer a detailed, clear sound signature out of the box. Looking forward to the burn-in period ending. I also will compare them to the Ksc75 (unmodded) and the Grado SR-80s, which are the only open, on ear phones I have.

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 154
Will be waiting for reviews.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 154
The clips mounting system appears to be the same. I was able to swap from the Koss to the Yuin. At 24 hours (they need 76 more hours of burn-in) I can hear more detail and more involvement w/ the G1A over the G2A although they are still very close in sound.

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The clips mounting system appears to be the same. I was able to swap from the Koss to the Yuin. At 24 hours (they need 76 more hours of burn-in) I can hear more detail and more involvement w/ the G1A over the G2A although they are still very close in sound.

Hm, kind of sounds like G2A might be the better bang for the buck. ;o

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 154
It is very easy to tell the G1 and G1A apart, even though the labelling says "G1" on both: Under the foam pad, the G1A has a black covering over the driver, whereas the G1 has none; one can look in and see the actual driver.

I have not yet checked to see if the G2A is configured in a similar manner.

I agree with Miguel that the attachments to the ear clip are interchangeable with the Koss, so the headband mod should work just fine, if clip mounting is not desired.

These are VERY nice sounding phones!

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #12 of 154
Could anyone who has these headphones maybe try and compare them to the Yuin PK or OK series? specifically the PK3 and OK3? I have been intrigued by these headphones ever since the first G1's were announced, right now I am seeing the G1A costs $54 with shipping and despite that being considerably cheap I am still a poor college student on a budget saving for a surround sound system, so I really don't want to spend the money unless the headphones pose a significant gain over the earbuds I use and have used in the past. As they are not earbuds I understand that there is a major differencein general, I would just like some opinions to try and tell me if it is worth ordering them now or not, especially since they have gone up $5 and seem to have actual shipping charges which is something I'd never seen head-direct not include in the price before I am also worried about them going up more, especially if they are so close to the G1A's. Thanks for any help and opinons people have to offer on these things.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 154
Well, the G2A is $49, not the G1A (which is $149). And I don't ever remember Head-Direct providing free shipping, though they do keep the shipping costs down via USPS First Class (takes longer, but about as cheap as you can get). I don't own any PKs or OKs any more, but I will try to go from memory. You are right though, it's tough to compare an ear bud with a clip-on, as the latter is more like a full-size phone to me. Anyway, I am sure the folks who have them for review will give you a good sense of their quality for the money.

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #14 of 154
It seems I won't review these products. Just for curiosity, Tom, how would you describe the bass in the G1A compared to the Westone 3 or PFE, and treble over the Image X10 or PFE? Are the G1A closer to the PFE or the other two in signature?
Do you think they are a good match with the T4, and if so, why?

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #15 of 154
Will let you know specifically when hit the 100-hour mark burn-in. I don't want to shortchange the Yuins on that front. But I do intend to compare them directly to the X10, PFE, W3 and IE8, all of which I currently own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back