Yu9 Audio - U554 & U556 - A single BA powerhouse
May 18, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #76 of 127
Jun 16, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #79 of 127
Followed. I'm very interested in this thread. I've rekindled my love for Etymotic ER2XR after swapping the stock green filter for the 2200 ohm red one; which brings down the ear gain and consequently brings out the treble a little more. So now the million dollar question is U556 or U554? I'm leaning towards U556 due to my ear gain preferences stated previously but I'm also a detailhead. Any suggestions? I might just have to get both.

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #80 of 127
Curious how much power would be needed for these?
Was thinking getting a pair of the 556s and use them with either the UTWS3 or get the UTWS5 for the extra power and Aptx Adaptive. Would be a nice pair for my business trips.

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #81 of 127
Curious how much power would be needed for these?
Was thinking getting a pair of the 556s and use them with either the UTWS3 or get the UTWS5 for the extra power and Aptx Adaptive. Would be a nice pair for my business trips.

These would be underpowered significantly on both of those, unfortunately. Impedance is rated at about 100ohms. They're more suited to DAPs or smaller desktops amps imo.

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #82 of 127
These would be underpowered significantly on both of those, unfortunately. Impedance is rated at about 100ohms. They're more suited to DAPs or smaller desktops amps imo.
Yeah missed that 100ohms part.. Then maybe something like the new BTR7 that was just announced would be the way for a small bluetooth kit for trips.

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #83 of 127
Yeah missed that 100ohms part.. Then maybe something like the new BTR7 that was just announced would be the way for a small bluetooth kit for trips.

Maybe, you might get enough volume but with these high impedance single BAs you need to overpower them if anything because the low end does not extend well at all and they sound a bit off. You might get away with the BTR7 though but can't guarantee it!

Jun 17, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #84 of 127
I'm leaning towards U556 due to my ear gain preferences stated previously but I'm also a detailhead. Any suggestions? I might just have to get both.

I would go for the 556 first, or possibly get the U554 and have filters at the ready.

Jun 18, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #85 of 127
I would go for the 556 first, or possibly get the U554 and have filters at the ready.
Thanks so much. Do happen to know if the U series will take the Etymotic filters? Or are there included tuning filters in the packaging?

Jun 18, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #86 of 127
Thanks so much. Do happen to know if the U series will take the Etymotic filters? Or are there included tuning filters in the packaging?

They throw in a set of replacement filters with the U series. As far as I'm aware they don't take the Etymotic filters. Instead they take these filters here. Both the U-556 and the U-554 come tuned to use the 1500ohm filters (the green ones).

Jun 18, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #87 of 127
They throw in a set of replacement filters with the U series. As far as I'm aware they don't take the Etymotic filters. Instead they take these filters here. Both the U-556 and the U-554 come tuned to use the 1500ohm filters (the green ones).
Awesome! Waaayyyy cheaper than the Etymotic ones🤦‍♂️.You could work sales of Yu9. This thread has been so enticing I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pair now. Thanks for starting it and being so responsive in regards to all our questions. I have a feeling (judging by how absolutely massive the ER4 thread is) that these earphones are gonna blow up.

Jun 18, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #88 of 127
Awesome! Waaayyyy cheaper than the Etymotic ones🤦‍♂️.You could work sales of Yu9. This thread has been so enticing I'm ready to pull the trigger on a pair now. Thanks for starting it and being so responsive in regards to all our questions. I have a feeling (judging by how absolutely massive the ER4 thread is) that these earphones are gonna blow up.

No worries! I've enjoyed my time thoroughly with both, hope they hit the right spot for you.

Jun 18, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #90 of 127
Is Shimin Li anything similar to those? I was just looking at the graph, and it's quite cheap as well. Did you sell your YU9 earphones btw?

The Shimin Li shares alot in common in the midrange with the U-556 but has more bass and less uppermid presence which produces a slightly smoother listen than the U-556. It's definitely worth the price of entry and produces a natural sound with good DD timbre. U-556 and especially the U554 both handle layering and positional cues better though.

Nope! Still have them both, just not in active rotation atm. :) How are you getting on with yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back