You're all crazy IMO
Apr 27, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #226 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by phandrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would suck to own just 1 pair of headphones for all your purposes. I can't imagine somehow owning just a K1000 and wearing that in public.

I don't believe I have ever worn headphones in public.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #227 of 260
I think people are crazy here sometimes, but you can apply that craziness to any hobby really.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #228 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraithetc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think people are crazy here sometimes, but you can apply that craziness to any hobby really.

To be honest I think the OP of this thread is crazy, comparing his friends car audio system to a high quality headphone setup? Yeah, crazy.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #229 of 260
Some of us here are obsessive, not crazy, just really obsessive!!
Well, maybe most of us....

beyersmile.png

dt880smile.png

icon10.gif

beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #230 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest I think the OP of this thread is crazy, comparing his friends car audio system to a high quality headphone setup? Yeah, crazy.

Tell that to someone not on Head Fi watch them give a crap.

Better yet ask someone: whose more crazy the guy who spent 1 grand on headphones or the guy who spent it on a car stereo?

Someone so unaware of how niche their hobby is has to be delusional.

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #231 of 260
Quote:

Better yet ask someone: whose more crazy the guy who spent 1 grand on headphones or the guy who spent it on a car stereo?

Car is not a place where you can listen to music analyicaly or just sit back and listen. Just how the seat is placed in the driver seat with the speakers in the back, speakers near the floor, speakers on top of the dashboard, it's all just HORRIBLE for proper music listening.

Not only that, kind of listening to music I enjoy with headphones would guarantee 100% car accidents.

So yes, IMO the OP is crazy comparing Car Audio to Headphones. Unless the OP enjoys just sitting in a parking lot or driveway locked in his car sitting uncomforably in the middle on the armrests in between the driver and passenger seat...

And someone who wants to judge me over a single post comparing Car Audio to Headphones has to be an ass. On the other hand I get to add someone new to the ignore list.

Apr 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #233 of 260
Quote:

Actually, headphones sound substantially better to me than any speakers (home or car.)

I never listen to music in the car anyhow, though. I only listen when I can concentrate, and when driving I focus 100% of my attention on driving (I wish everyone else did also, because then there would be a lot fewer "accidents"!)

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #234 of 260
New update:

Well, after a long time of listening to my HD580s, and hundreds of hours, I just learned to love them more every day.

I even one day dared take them out of the house to use on my ipod instead of my HD485's, afraid that it would sound horrible without an amp, but it is noticably better than the hd485 even without an amp.

And, of course, I have become an audio snob just like all of you. Listening to youtube songs = the worst. Listening to songs in my friends cars = the worst. LOL.

The HD580 is actually such an amazing improvement its like ridiculous. See, right now I accidentally lleft my pair in my friends' car. I am using the HD485s to listen to some music and I can barely stand it. I feel like the music is dead. That is what sparked a memory of this post to me.

Plus, I know that setups get so much better than mine. I only run the HD580 out of a hippohifi amp...that is a $350 setup basically. Entry into the hifi world has really shown me how beautiful music can be and has even opened up my musical tastes.

I definitely dream of one day owning a high end audio setup

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #235 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosquito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New update:

Well, after a long time of listening to my HD580s, and hundreds of hours, I just learned to love them more every day.

I even one day dared take them out of the house to use on my ipod instead of my HD485's, afraid that it would sound horrible without an amp, but it is noticably better than the hd485 even without an amp.

And, of course, I have become an audio snob just like all of you. Listening to youtube songs = the worst. Listening to songs in my friends cars = the worst. LOL.

The HD580 is actually such an amazing improvement its like ridiculous. See, right now I accidentally lleft my pair in my friends' car. I am using the HD485s to listen to some music and I can barely stand it. I feel like the music is dead. That is what sparked a memory of this post to me.

Plus, I know that setups get so much better than mine. I only run the HD580 out of a hippohifi amp...that is a $350 setup basically. Entry into the hifi world has really shown me how beautiful music can be and has even opened up my musical tastes.

I definitely dream of one day owning a high end audio setup

This has been my exact experience with upgrades. They're initially underwhelming when first heard. You say to yourself, What?? But then you continue with the upgrade anyway. One day you listen to the original and it's then you hear the difference. You definitely can't go back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry about your wallet!

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #237 of 260
Quote:

This has been my exact experience with upgrades. They're initially underwhelming when first heard.

I couldn't agree more. I had a D5000. I listened to it and love it. Then I got a Woo 6. I tried the combo and the difference was very small, sometime I couldn't tell. I was confused w/ what people say about how amp helps the phone. Then I sold that combo and bought a D7000, now w/o dedicated amp but a Denon receiver.

Tbh, I really don't find listening to the D7000 w/ my receiver enjoyable at all.

I don't know why. The sound signature that I love from D5000 is there, on the D7000. But mid is so recessed, soundstage is not as wide, detail is less...

I don't have the Woo 6 anymore to do the A/B test. But I believe the only reason that can explain why D5000 brought me enjoyment but D7000 cannot is lacking of dedicated amp.

I maybe wrong tho.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #239 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has been my exact experience with upgrades. They're initially underwhelming when first heard. You say to yourself, What?? But then you continue with the upgrade anyway. One day you listen to the original and it's then you hear the difference. You definitely can't go back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry about your wallet!

Luxury, once tasted, becomes necessity.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #240 of 260
I look at it from a few unique perspectives I think. The first is that I am an engineer so I do find the technology fascinating. But then I do believe that the vagaries and nuance of human hearing can't be seen on an oscilloscope. What I find to be really fun is the journey, both engineering and the buying of new equipment. It's the discovery of "oh wow, that sounds like _______, while this sounds like _______. I didn't know my music could sound like ______ with this combination". It's like redecorating a sound with a tweak here and a nudge there.

As far as loving the music, well this is best exemplified by a quirk that I really have. I get horribly annoyed when I am driving and a passenger is trying to talk to me. Car time is music time. Even if I haven't seen you in years and you are my closest friend, it's music time! DON'T INTERRUPT IT! XD As funny as it sounds, it really does annoy me very much. I guess I also have frequently updated "album infatuations" in my signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back