Your very first pair of headphones ... What were they?
Dec 10, 2008 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
I watched a movie a couple of days ago called "Snow Cake", and was surprised to see the first pair of headphones I ever owned being worn by actor, Alan Rickman. What made it surprising was that this movie was made in 2007 in a modern setting, yet I owned those headphones way back in 1968 or 1969. I don't recall the brand name ( nothing I've heard of before or since ) but they were so distinctive with their huge chrome ear cups ( like giant Grados ) and individual volume controls, that even 40 years later I recognized them immediately. Here's a you-tube clip showing them in all of their huge, clunky, glory:

YouTube - alan rickman singing stereophonics in snow cake

A couple of years later I got a little more serious about audio and moved up to Koss Pro 4A's ( I think that's what they were called ) Koss pretty much owned the market back then.

So what were your very first pair of headphones? Do you still have them?

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 42
That movie is high on my wish list, good you reminded me that I still have to watch this.

My first headphone was a large white Philips can, with knobs on the earcups for adjusting the volume, if my memory serves me well. It was in the mid seventees.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 42
Remember I got a pair of headphones as a child in the late -70's.
Sadly they are long gone, and I really have no idea what brand/model they were.

I remember them as big black closed-back ones, with volume control in one of the housings, and a single spiral cable.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 42
I can't remember which brand, but I had a few in childhood for various Walkmans and portable radios. My first "real" pair was a Sony MDR-V6 I bought probably 12 years ago. I loved them and my brother-in-law has them now. Three years ago, the HD-650 caught my eye in the Audio Adviser catalog. Had the extra cash and wanted to see if they'd better the MDR-V6. Ordered a Creek OBH-11 to go along. I liked that so much I ran a few searches to see if anyone else liked high end headphones.

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 42
my first good headphones were the big heavy Koss ones that sounded pretty darn good.

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 42
My first pair of real cans I got in HS and they were the Sennheiser HD570.

Before that when I was younger I used to "borrow" my dad's closed back sony's. I have no idea what they were.

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 42
The first I bought myself was some POS Altec Lansing 602i's a few years back.
Thank god my Icemat Siberia's broke and I discovered Head-fi!

now....AD700's for gaming and DT880's for music (with an amp of course, see profile)..mmmmm.

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 42
Sennheiser HD414.

attachment.php

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 42
First pair were some MDR-V150's, but I quickly upgraded to a pair of HD515's. I used those all throughout high school and my first year of college, and recently made the step up to HD650's.

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 42
The sony mdr ex71sl, then MDR-V6 and Koss KSC-35 and never looked back. I'm surprised that the v6 had such a huge FOTM following back then on head-fi I still wonder how people didn't discover things like the k240 sextetts, ortho headphones, k501 etc. I bet they were insanely cheap back then.

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 42
My first pair of headphones outside of the stock ones that came with cd players/mp3 players were sony ex51's. They seem pretty bad now that I look back on it, but they sounded amazing to me when I first had them.

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 42
My first set of cans that were purchased separate were the Sennheiser 280 Pros. I've had them for five years. They have their pros and their many cons. With EQ adjustments you can get them to sound fairly good, but I'm not a believer in messing with EQs to make something sound acceptable. I've been spending MANY hours figuring out my replacement pair and thinking about beyerdynamic dt880s or dt990s. I just can't decide and in the meantime I'm stuck with the Senns, which literally starting to break apart.

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #14 of 42
I just recently got into the headphone world and after many hours of arguing with myself over what headphones to get i decided on a pair of Denon AH-D2000. I'm so happy i got them, i'm never going back to those crappy skullcandy's
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #15 of 42
It was some time around 1967/68, I bought them at Hi-Fi Haven in New Brunswick, NJ. I was spending HUGE amounts of money on speakers and amps. And as a lark I purchased a Pioneer headphone set. They had big white hard plastic cups/chambers and came in a very nice black case with a a red satin interior. Wish I still had them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back