Your opinion on get smart quick schemes?
Nov 12, 2006 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

sonicm

100+ Head-Fier
Whats your opinion on get smart quick schemes such as iMusic Where you just do something simple and stupid for 5 minutes and become somehow smarter?
I always wondered whether or not these really made any difference in anything at all, or if their ALL just scams.
The only reason I think that they MAY make a difference because twice I've met people who were firm believers in these and said that they were much better people thanks to them, and although they may have just been paid to say good things about the company, both of them never even mentioned anything about them till I brought up how stupid I think they are.
Also because of this picture:
TopHeader.jpg

Just look at that man on the left, he just looks so happy...and smart, it just HAS to work.
Your opinion?

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 22
That guy looks happily constipated, not necessarily smart.

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 22
I've requested information from companies like iMusic which claim to reform your mind using the "magic" of harmonics, overtones, and being enveloped by the sound of binaural recordings.

I received a sample CD from one such company. It was mostly the founder expounding upon the various reasons why audio could and should work to "expand your mind," but there was an example of actual music. It was a binaural recording of rain with some electronic bell tones that were constructed around the harmonic series. I could see how people could be soothed by it, but unfortunately I think it's snake oil unless you already believe in it. It's another case of mind over matter, which also seems to be common in the audio hobby, besides.

The "science" behind the music was mostly psychoacoustical, but a bit off the deep end. The rhythm, overtones, and simple vibration of the bells were meant to generate beta, alpha, and gamma waves in the brain. In other words, it's supposed to be very relaxing. Perhaps the idea is that a lot of thinking is done in this dozing, half-dreaming state.

In any case, I never signed up for the program, which promised to send me increasingly more "advanced" recordings that I "wouldn't be ready" for before listening to the first set of music for a few months. I received both paper mail and e-mail spam for over a year after signing up for the sample. Each mailing was different and took into account the time in which I'd failed to respond. The longer I waited, the cheaper the program became.
icon10.gif

Any kind of ambient music would be equally suited toward what amounts to unguided meditation.

Nov 13, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 22
I used the studying imusic cd last year for one of my exams. It was for a subject where I had the ****test teacher ever, when it came time to revise I had no clue, I stuck this disk on in the background while studying for the subject 2 days before the exam (I like to leave things till last minute.. pracrastination is king), did the exam and seemed to go fairly well. Got results back and they were all fairly decent (not top of the class but not far from it), and considering I knew nothing when it came time to revise... So I'm not sure if it was the studying or the music (as I normally do not study ;o).

You may want to search for information on studying with the baroque period music, there should be some stuff around on that.

Nov 13, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 22
Do you really have to ask?
confused.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicm
Whats your opinion on get smart quick schemes such as iMusic Where you just do something simple and stupid for 5 minutes and become somehow smarter?

Your opinion?

...is that's it marketed toward the stupid, but the kind of stupid that know they're stupid but want to improve. Sadly, it's the stupid who are self aware and want to improve that are the most gullible, because they know they’re stupid, and they suspect others know they're stupid; these stupid will do anything no matter how stupid.

Sad... isn't it. I just ordered the 4 CD set.

Nov 13, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 22
Well, I certainly don't put much credence into the "Get Smart" schemes that I've seen thus far.

Could it be possible? Sure, I may not know about it. For example, I don't know anything about iMusic.

Will it be possible? I hope so. (I'm part of the nanotechnology fan club, which is part of the greater GO SCIENCE fan club and is friends with the A.I and Genetic Engineering fan clubs)

I do believe that there are other ways to increase your "intelligence" (I don't want to get into a definition of intelligence, lets keep that as broad as possible) but all of those require quite a bit of work. Backwards letter span exercises, learning new languages, learning new trades, learning new subjects. Also many video games could be helpful. Doing anything "new", I believe, is beneficial.

There are also nootropics, some of which may be beneficial. Do your research on nootropics before you decide to play that game. I've been doing my research on and off for 6 months now and still haven't tried anything. Irreversible MAO inhibitors can be a bad idea!

Nov 13, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #14 of 22
axion says:
Quote:

I stuck this disk on in the background while studying

There are tests that DO show that some people study better with music on in the background. The theory is that the person must concentrate more to stop the music from coming in while studying.

ANY MUSIC, not just iMusic!
blink.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #15 of 22
The reasoning behind these kinds of recordings is that certain sounds can trigger variations in human brainwaves. I can't vouch for the products in the original post, but there is a variety of research to back this up. They hook someone up to an EEG, play various types of sounds, and monitor the effects on the EEG. There are various theories about what types of brainwaves (they actually have classifications, alpha, beta, delta, etc.) reflect states of consciousness most appropriate for learning, creativity, etc. They don't make you any smarter though, really.

Personally, I would suggest learning meditation as a more direct route to the same place, as there's ample evidence that it does induce states of consciousness (and corresponding EEG activity) that are useful for mental growth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back