Your most moronic audio purchase
Apr 15, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #16 of 60
Cheesy Panasonic SL-CT580 pcdp I bought on e-bay. Bloody pancake NiCd batteries are darn near impossible to find.

P.S. If anyone would like to purchase this item, please send me an e-mail.

Apr 15, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #17 of 60
I picked up a pair of sony MDR-V6's when they were the flavour of the month.

My turntable looked mint (save for the usual marks on the dustcover) in the dim lighting of the sellers residence. Not wanting to insult him by questioning his honesty (this was an eBay transaction, he had exemplary feedback) by having him fetch me a flashlight I accepted and handed over the cash after a brief look and listen. Got it home under some light and found the tonearm cable had been chewed up, there were chips and cracks to the wood veneered base, and the needle was in need of replacing, and the cartridge suspension was probably shot. I paid a premium price for a mint table and got one in above average shape.

Apr 16, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #18 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
You too?? Hahahahahaha!!!!

heehee... what happened to the purple monster?
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #19 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
I picked up a pair of sony MDR-V6's when they were the flavour of the month.

hmmm... i wouldn't call the V6 a moronic purchase. the MDR-V700dj on the other hand... i received one last week, DON'T ASK!

Apr 16, 2003 at 1:47 AM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by OneMalt
Years ago, I traded "up" a Pioneer CTF-900 cassette deck (easily the finest one I'd ever owned) for a Kyocera deck. That Kyocera was a real POS by comparison. I'm still kicking myself 20 years later.

I had that same deck...what a great piece that was. I have missed it ever since.

Apr 16, 2003 at 1:49 AM Post #21 of 60
I think the single stupidest purchase was 5-6 years ago. A salesman at one of those high-end stores talked me into buying TWO TDK ferrites for $30.00!!! What a F-ing goof I was.

Apr 16, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 60
i bought a pair of ATH-M30 and found a pair of V6 the next day for the same price.

I had a bad time to sell these without too much loss (even they weren't bad in fact)

Apr 16, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #25 of 60
About NZ$100 worth of useless audio kits from www.dse.co.nz ? Do they count? Heh. Finished the headphone amplifier, it hums. Hum hummity hum hum. I can't be bothered finding out how to quit it humming.

Next: The MDS-PC1 MD deck. Sure it sounds good, but I don't need it. I don't want to sell it.. but I could have bought something better for the NZ$500..

Apr 16, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #27 of 60
Fear me, for I have the ultimite evil!

The Monkeys sing Christmas Songs, on lp.

No, I have not listened to it, nor so I intend to.

Apr 16, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #28 of 60
I'm not sure whether the V6s or the MX500s were my worst purchase. I sold the V6 after 2 months, but selling the mx500s is practically useless (shipping negates any advantages). I personally don't like the sound of either.

Apr 16, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #29 of 60
Bose Acoustimass AM-3 satelite, sub speakers...a friend told me they were they best sounding speakers he's ever heard so i bought a set...

AKG-280 headphones...i thought these were the best you could get...fantasic sound quality so i thought, till Todd at Headroom told me they bite compared to the HD-580 (this was long before the HD-600 came out)...i didn't believe him at first but finally got a HD-580 and then i realized the AKG-280 really did bite the big one...

Apr 16, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #30 of 60
So far, everything that says "Sennheiser" that I own has been a moronic purchase.

My 495 is fine, but I bought it when all I had was a pcdp. I actually needed a closed headphone that could easily be driven and I bought the opposite.
rolleyes.gif
Wish I would have bought Etys then...
very_evil_smiley.gif

The HD280 is okay, but the bass isn't significant enough for gaming. It's a good headphone; I like it fine for music, but when I bought it I was aiming at a good gaming headphone. I should have gone with the V6 or better yet the Beyer DT250-80 because I didn't have an amp at the time.

Those aren't really moronic, but I could have had $200 to spend on other stuff if I had done my homework a lot better on the 495 and not bought into the HD280 hype that was floating around here.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back